Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at the Hyundai dealership now and they just checked out my 2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited to see what was causing the engine “tick of death” and they said the engine needs to be replaced. I’m hoping that it is covered by warranty. If I do have the engine replaced, are the new ones any better? Or is it likely to have the same problem again eventually?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
If you are the original owner and have kept your maintenance up todate, you should be covered under the 10 year 100K mile warranty.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
This topic has been heavily debated on various threads within the forums. The 1.8L has not been the biggest of the engine problems, that would be the 2.0T and 2.4L engines. But to answer your question, manufacturers perform failure analysis on engines with premature failure and when a trend is found, those issues are corrected in both future production and replacement engines. No manufacturer willingly performs a (expensive) warranty repair using parts, in this case an engine, knowing the failure is likely to occur again. That is just bad business.

You called this a "ticking" sound. Some 2.0Turbo and 2.4L engines from 2011-2014 were/are developing rod knock and/or seizing. Those are being replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankfully, the small block engine IS covered under warranty, and they are paying for a rental car for me. Since then they told me that the small block wouldn't arrive until early to mid May. NOW they say it might be early to mid JULY. Good lord

·
Registered
379 Posts
My new American 1.8 after 5,500 miles compared to the old warranted Korean 1.8 is missing 20 hp. As far as can it happen a gain, there have been a few who had it happen to their new motor. So NO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This topic has been heavily debated on various threads within the forums. The 1.8L has not been the biggest of the engine problems, that would be the 2.0T and 2.4L engines. But to answer your question, manufacturers perform failure analysis on engines with premature failure and when a trend is found, those issues are corrected in both future production and replacement engines. No manufacturer willingly performs a (expensive) warranty repair using parts, in this case an engine, knowing the failure is likely to occur again. That is just bad business.

You called this a "ticking" sound. Some 2.0Turbo and 2.4L engines from 2011-2014 were/are developing rod knock and/or seizing. Those are being replaced under warranty.
If they do as you said, issues are corrected, how come the engine problem is still unsolved... 2011 to 2015 included, same engine problem. And this goes on for over 3 years now... Not sure at all!! Second, if you do a research, you will find cases where owners gad to replace the engine a second time!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
100's of thousands of these engines were built and those that failed have failed at low and very high mileage both. Statistically cannot be forecast.

And I get my information from mechanics and technicians performing the work and tallying the actual failures, not the random stranger who heard from someone else that they heard they are failing by the millions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
100's of thousands of these engines were built and those that failed have failed at low and very high mileage both. Statistically cannot be forecast.

And I get my information from mechanics and technicians performing the work and tallying the actual failures, not the random stranger who heard from someone else that they heard they are failing by the millions.
This is not the only Hyundai forum. Is not what people heard from people but what people say on a forum.

This engine problem started on 2011 models, they built 2012, 2913, ... 2015 with same defective engines!!! Would have they performed failure tests and correct the issue in 2013 , you wouldn't have thousands of defective vehicles today 2018!!

My dealer told me we are 200 waiting, thousands all over Cabada, is not what I heard from somebody else. And only the ladt 5 days I met 2 other owners waiting, their dealer, not same as mine, told them there are 100's waiting.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
This is not the only Hyundai forum. Is not what people heard from people but what people say on a forum.

This engine problem started on 2011 models, they built 2012, 2913, ... 2015 with same defective engines!!! Would have they performed failure tests and correct the issue in 2013 , you wouldn't have thousands of defective vehicles today 2018!!

My dealer told me we are 200 waiting, thousands all over Cabada, is not what I heard from somebody else. And only the ladt 5 days I met 2 other owners waiting, their dealer, not same as mine, told them there are 100's waiting.
I will assume that is a typo and you are in Canada. And are you still speaking of the 1.8L engine, or are you lumping in the 2.0T and 2.4L GDI? Yes, there are a lot of the 2.0T and 2.4L engines being replaced, and a new 2.4L block was released for the 2015 year model and beyond. Because I cannot speak for whatever is happening up there in the great northland, but here in central Texas where heat is the issue, the 2.0T and 2.4L are the issue. And there have not been any repeat failures.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My new American 1.8 after 5,500 miles compared to the old warranted Korean 1.8 is missing 20 hp. As far as can it happen a gain, there have been a few who had it happen to their new motor. So NO.
Mainia,

What oil viscosity 5w20 or 5w30 or other, Regular or Synthetic did you use in your first 1.8 L engine ?

What oil viscosity are you using in your 2nd 1.8L engine ?

Thank you in advance !

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
This is sort of a crossover message. Switched to Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5W20 in the '16 Elantra 1.8L this weekend. ~24K miles. Don't know what the dealer had put in it, but it is crazy quiet now. As in have to look at the tach to tell it is running.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Not failing by the millions, but you act like it is failing like a Honda motor averages. Hyundai motors are failing WAY WAY WAY more then they should because the Korean business model is to "cover up" not fix. Gee, I was on Honda forums for years and years. Seen maybe 20 engine failures in all those years. Far more people on the Honda forums then the Hyundai forums. Statistically Hyundai engine failure in all of it's forms far far far far far far exceed Honda. And I want to buy another Hyundai ...just not now. Watch the fanboyism.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Not failing by the millions, but you act like it is failing like a Honda motor averages. Hyundai motors are failing WAY WAY WAY more then they should because the Korean business model is to "cover up" not fix. Gee, I was on Honda forums for years and years. Seen maybe 20 engine failures in all those years. Far more people on the Honda forums then the Hyundai forums. Statistically Hyundai engine failure in all of it's forms far far far far far far exceed Honda. And I want to buy another Hyundai ...just not now. Watch the fanboyism.

Sorry, I can't agree. I cannot find any reputable references to support your position. Show me data. And use the 2011 thru 2016 model years as a comparison (the 1.8l engine)

Unbiased major car sites consider the Elantra as a very reliable vehicle, on par with the Civic in reliability.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
"Hyundai motors are failing WAY WAY WAY more then they should because the Korean business model is to "cover up" not fix."

Unlike the Japanese Toyota cover up of the oil sludging engine failures that occurred for years due to the undersized oil ports? Honda does build a good motor. They also have decades more experience with design as early on Hyundai was using Mitsubishi designs. They also for years equipped multiple models with an air conditioning system that was documented as one highly susceptible to the infamous "black death", a very costly failure.

Fanboyism? Really? Perhaps you should read my posts on the replacement of the excellent Elantra fully independent rear suspension with the cheap but sufficient torsion bar suspension now used. Or the failure analysis of the un-correctable front suspension alignment issues with the 2010 Tucson. Or the poor design and assembly quality of the 2013 Elantra Coupe. The 1.8L motor is not showing the issues of the 2011-2014 2.4L GDI engine. In another thread this has been discussed at length. There is an issue with the 2.4L and 2.0L blocks produced in that time frame. And because of the nature of the identified issue the failure cannot be statistically predicted with a tight percentage of accuracy. Yes, there is a higher than expected number of engines failing at a very wide range of mileage. A much higher percentage of engines are running well beyond the warranted period without failure.

I get it. Your 1.8L engine went at 14K miles and that sucks. Shouldn't happen, yet it does. In my world that is referred to as "infant mortality failure", a term not used much publicly out of consideration for those parents who have lived through the traumatic real life event. Try to look at real numbers. Is the 2.4L and 2.0T of the 2011-2014 year range failing beyond the forecast rate? Absolutely. But you cannot blanket condemn Hyundai on a single engine manufacturing issue anymore than you can Toyota on the sludging issue or Honda for their a/c issues.

I have owned about 40 vehicles manufactured by GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Hyundai, Fiat, and even Austin Healey. If I were to go off only my experience, Austin Healey and Nissan would be tied as the worst vehicles made in history with Hyundai being the most reliable. But that is using a small sampling and not good statistical analysis. Well, maybe so for the Austin Healey. They did all use Lucas electrics, and auto folks familiar with British Leyland understand where the term "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" came from, lol.

As Red Green so eloquently stated, "Keep your stick on the ice". (see? even a Texan can try to relate to our northern counterparts)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been waiting for my new engine since February, the 1.8 Nu. Hyundai is making junk now and lying to try to get out of covering their junk under warranty. They denied to cover mine under warranty at 56k miles. They lied to me about why the engine seized and Corp lied under oath about what happened. I opened a case with the BBB arbitration line and I beat Hyundai by telling the truth. See you in court next.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I have owned about 40 vehicles manufactured by GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Hyundai, Fiat, and even Austin Healey. If I were to go off only my experience, Austin Healey and Nissan would be tied as the worst vehicles made in history with Hyundai being the most reliable. But that is using a small sampling and not good statistical analysis. Well, maybe so for the Austin Healey. They did all use Lucas electrics, and auto folks familiar with British Leyland understand where the term "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" came from, lol.
)
Whoa - now you crossed the line, gone too far, etc. I had an Austin Healey mk300 - who cares about the reliability it was British, a fun car to drive as well but had I kept it today it would be worth mucho $$$ . Austin Healey on opposite ends of the auto universe from Hyundai, one completely unsafe, very unreliable, dated engineering and horrible electrics but a blast to drive. And then there is Hyundai, a very reliable ride but an excitement factor that simply is so low it can't be stated.
So c'mon - weren't you ever once young ? I want my Healey back !

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
LOL, and you had the GOOD one. Mine was the '67 Sprite 1275cc. Every time it stopped, had to open the hood. But you are right, little bugger was fun. When it was running.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I have been waiting for my new engine since February, the 1.8 Nu. Hyundai is making junk now and lying to try to get out of covering their junk under warranty. They denied to cover mine under warranty at 56k miles. They lied to me about why the engine seized and Corp lied under oath about what happened. I opened a case with the BBB arbitration line and I beat Hyundai by telling the truth. See you in court next.
What was Hyundai's claim to deny warranty?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hyundai lied and said we had sludge in the engine after seeing an aftermarket oil filter on it. The BBB arbitrator believed our story and had an independent inspection done. Inspection showed no sludge

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mainia,

What oil viscosity 5w20 or 5w30 or other, Regular or Synthetic did you use in your first 1.8 L engine ?

What oil viscosity are you using in your 2nd 1.8L engine ?

Thank you in advance !

The first motor the oil I used was Wallmart 5-30 full synthetic and then Mobil 1 5-30 for 70% of the 14,000 mile short life. My new slug/minus 20 hp motor has 6,000 miles on it now. I dumped the local filled semi synthetic oil 5-30 at around 500 miles give or take, ran another semi 5-30 for 800 miles. Then put Redline 5-30 in for 2,000 miles because I wanted a group 5 to stay on the tight motor piston skirts on startup since "rumor" has it some of the issue is piston skirt coating wears off and I assume gets past the filter and takes out the lifters too.

I am now running a cocktail of Amsoil Sig Series 0-30 (3 qts) and Mobil 1 0-20 Extended (2 qt) I am doing oil analysis on every oil change at my local LARGE Caterpillar dealer that has an accredited lab. $18. At work we use Polaris Labs, but why pay so much $$$ for this simple test when I am 8 miles from this good local lab.

My car was first brought in because throwing on a sound probe cheapy stethoscope showed MASSIVE lifter noise. They denied it was an issue 2 times. Said to be normal. (yea right) On the 3rd time I said I don't want it back until you fix it, here are the keys, and don't insult may intelligence saying this is normal AGAIN. 4-6 hours later they called and said I was going to get a new motor, I asked to get a long block because I said I want those lifters replaced since I knew they were toast too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts