Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received an email from the think tank to complete the "pimp my ride" survey.
One of the first questions is "Do Hyundai sell a good range of accessories for your vehicle?" (not the exact words but close enough)
Obviously the answer to this question is NO the number of accessories for the Tucson is abysmal.
Last question is "if given a choice what FREE accessory or mod would you choose"
So what would your answer be??????
(Mine was led headlights)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Better steering feel...ditch the '70s motorboat feel.
Skip the gizmos and keeping up with the upper crust suv crowd. Better build, better sound insulation/deadening, real world mpg, interior surfaces that don't scratch or wear if one breathes on them, and on and on...

When my CEO got her Tuck back in '10, the Hyundai gang emailed me a very long survey, with room to make comments. I filled it in, made several comments and never heard a peep back. Wasn't expecting a reward or award, but a bot gen'd 'thanks' would have been ok.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Better steering feel...ditch the '70s motorboat feel.
Skip the gizmos and keeping up with the upper crust suv crowd. Better build, better sound insulation/deadening, real world mpg, interior surfaces that don't scratch or wear if one breathes on them, and on and on...

When my CEO got her Tuck back in '10, the Hyundai gang emailed me a very long survey, with room to make comments. I filled it in, made several comments and never heard a peep back. Wasn't expecting a reward or award, but a bot gen'd 'thanks' would have been ok.
With you on the interior surfaces comment! Getting ready to swap out part of my center console that got scratched.......how mystifies me I am very careful

·
Registered
26 Posts
The only problem I have after 35000 on my 2012 is the road noise. I replaced 2 of the Kumho's with Michelins. A little better but the road noise is BAD.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The only problem I have after 35000 on my 2012 is the road noise. I replaced 2 of the Kumho's with Michelins. A little better but the road noise is BAD.
I think my Sportage is even louder, even though I'm using Cooper CS4 touring tires, one of the most quiet tires I ever had!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Car mfg'ers such as H/K need to spend ~$100 more on sound insulation per car. It won't chase away the customer, and they are competing with a large line of brands/models, some of which don't sound like one is riding in a steel drum, and many of which steer better.

The bar keeps getting raised in 'quality'; skip some gizmos and gaudy stuff and make the interior materials slightly better, etc.

Having been in Seoul and surrounds a couple dozen times on biz, I realize that many cars there in the metro area seldom get to go 50 mph for more than a few blocks, as the traffic is nightmare. The US is big, with lots of highways and interstates...they sometimes seem clueless.
GL, mD

·
22,788 Posts
Car mfg'ers such as H/K need to spend ~$100 more on sound insulation per car. It won't chase away the customer...
+1 I'd gladly pay for the better noise deadening. Heavier ounce weight REAL carpeting with an insulation pad underneath would go a long way over that thin felt-looking stuff they're calling carpet. I wouldn't install that stuff on a dog house floor.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think Hyundai is sucumbing to the almighty $ :rolleyes:

When I took home my new 2002 Santa Fe LX 2.7 V6 4WD, I remarked to my wife how quiet it was, you could hear a pin drop at 60mph!

It had a great climate control with auto outside temp display, plus 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS, & TC.

I used to get 20-24mpg around town, & 24-30mpg on the hiway with the stock 4 spd tranny! ;)

That car was made before this ESC crap!

After 87k trouble free miles, and still the good original BF Goodrich long trail tires. I traded it in on a new 2005 Tucson LX 2.7 V6 AWD with no available climate control? :rolleyes: and the new "ESC" device. I seem to remember this car was pretty quiet also.

Gas mileage went down to 20mpg average! That's what I got on a long trip from PA. to NC. & back! I was livid! :eek:

But, I loved the car otherwise, & found that was average gas mileage on these vehicles :( I don't know why? But, I suspected it was that new ESC device! I mean what else could it be, this was a smaller lighter car with the same drivetrain?

I also noticed that the tires, whatever brand, would wear out every 25-30k miles! :eek:

The ex-wife got that car with 100k on it, good riddence! :rolleyes:

Skip ahead to 2010, I test drove a new Tucson, noticed right away it was noisier then both my previous Hyundai's. I also noticed it appeared cheaply made compared to them. No separate rear hatch window, no under pass seat storage drawer, more chincy interior, and appearing lighter all over.

Okay, but it has an efficient 2.4L 4cyl. & 6spd tranny now, is lighter, & has low rolling resistance tires, it should easily get 25-30mpg!

But, No, it's just cheaper made now, while struggling to get over 20mpg avg. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
2010 Tucson Limited AWD -
Requires much better structural integrity; am almost embarrassed at how many rattles come through when friends are on board...reminds me of '80s 'vette I owned.
It's my wife's vehicle, but I don't like the way the auto tranny shifts gears...too loose and prolonged, not crisp.
Had to save money somewhere compared to competition, particularly with all the features it offered, but in retrospect for the build solidity it provides and cheapness of interior material, it was overpiced.
It has been extremely reliable however; much better than I anticipated. Closing in on 100,000 km with no problems what-so-ever...knock on wood.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I remember when I test drove a 2012 last summer that the rear door panel was rattling. Is it the case with yours?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts