Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hyundai Forums Admin.
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div align='center'>

Hyundai is extremely proud of the new 2011 Sonata's fuel economy, even making it the focal point at the car's launch event earlier this year. To see just how fuel efficient it is, Wayne Gerdes of CleanMPG.com and a hypermiling expert is going to attempt to drive 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas. His plan is to drive from Milwaukee, WI to New York City – roughly 1,000 miles.

To achieve this goal, he'll need to squeeze over 54-mpg out of every gallon of gas in the Sonata's 18.5 gallon tank. That's well above the Sonata's 35-mpg highway rating, but not an entirely unrealistic goal, based on our own experience.

Back at the Sonata launch event we achieved a third place finish in Hyundai's fuel economy challenge, managing 46.8-mpg. The first place team were able to get an amazing 52.8-mpg.

The world record for the most miles traveled on a single tank of gas is held by the Ford Fusion Hybrid, which managed 1445 miles.

We'll keep you updated on the result.

More: Hyundai Sonata to Attempt 1,000 Miles on a Single Tank on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yup. He made it. Final mpg number was in the mid 60s. The Fusion Hybrid's "1445 miles on a tank" was driven by a team of drivers using techniques Wayne has refined, and that are described on the site referenced above. The Sonata may have been able to beat that 1445 miles, based on where the gage was when the tank was filled, but the challenge was to cover 1000 miles and refill shortly afterward to measure fuel mileage.

I drove the challenge vehicle this past Sunday, and I recorded a 36.1mpg average, with the A/C on, over 22 miles - 75% roads with speed limits under 40mph and 25% secondary roads with a limit of 40mph or above. For the trip back, with the A/C off and 55% highway/45% local roads, the average was 42.9mpg. That is roughly 50% above the EPA estimate of 28mpg combined. Your mileage will vary, of course, and the purpose of the challenge was just to see if it was possible to drive that far on a single tank in a car as impressive as the new 2011 Sonata. It is not a publicity stunt, as evidenced by the fact that there is no publicity other than some online blogs and tweets. The car is 100% stock and as I drove it, showed about 5500 miles on the odometer.

Although Wayne coined the term "hypermiling", the term has been distorted to the point where any reckless drivers or slow drivers (which I call "rolling corpses") are branded "hypermilers" and dismissed as dangerous. During the 40 miles I drove this car, I did not tailgate behind trucks, nobody tailgated me, swerved around me, or honked at me. The engine was on at all times while the car was on the road (except for the one time I stalled it when the light went green - damned throttle damping), and I did not run any red lights or stop signs. And I did not drive through school zones at 50mph. When done properly, these techniques are invisible to other motorists, and they vastly increase safety for the driver and those ahead, behind, and alongside. To other cars, a proper hypermiler is just another car following the vehicle ahead at a safe distance (two second rule) in the right lane. Those who need to exceed the speed limit by 20-30% are doing so in the left lane conga line, and the driver in the right lane is invisible to them anyway. And yes, on two lane roads, I drive at "traffic speed", and so there is no comet-tail of furious drivers behind me.

Now that this clarification is out of the way, hopefully readers will know the true definition of hypermiling and accept the fact that the airhead in front of them driving between 25 and 50mph and weaving off the road while chatting on the cell or fixing their hair or eating a Whopper is not a "hypermiler" doing "pulse and glide" and "ridge riding".

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (DMLexpert @ Jun 22 2010, 08:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335373
Although Wayne coined the term "hypermiling", the term has been distorted to the point where any reckless drivers or slow drivers (which I call "rolling corpses") are branded "hypermilers" and dismissed as dangerous. During the 40 miles I drove this car, I did not tailgate behind trucks, nobody tailgated me, swerved around me, or honked at me. The engine was on at all times while the car was on the road (except for the one time I stalled it when the light went green - damned throttle damping), and I did not run any red lights or stop signs. And I did not drive through school zones at 50mph. When done properly, these techniques are invisible to other motorists, and they vastly increase safety for the driver and those ahead, behind, and alongside. To other cars, a proper hypermiler is just another car following the vehicle ahead at a safe distance (two second rule) in the right lane. Those who need to exceed the speed limit by 20-30% are doing so in the left lane conga line, and the driver in the right lane is invisible to them anyway. And yes, on two lane roads, I drive at "traffic speed", and so there is no comet-tail of furious drivers behind me.
I say this with respect; but just because you were not honked at does not mean you were not an nuisance to drivers on the road. To honk at all the people not adhering to the flow of traffic around here would wear my horn out.

While I agree with some of what you said about distortion of the term, there are still many contestable points about the process.

·
Registered
548 Posts
WHY??? Why do we need these reposts??? WHY????? :wallbash:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Jun 23 2010, 12:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335547
A lie repeated often enough becomes truth?
What part of it is a lie?

Agreed, it is a repost of the other thread. And it is best for those who are not interested to simply ignore the thread. Forums are a great place to share and gather information, and the breadth of topics is incredible. I found Hyundai-Forums over a month ago during a google search on suitable replacements for the diseased canary they call a "horn", and I am still reading up on all the information available here. There are plenty of threads that are not to my liking, and I just don't open them.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ Jun 23 2010, 08:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335495
WHY??? Why do we need these reposts??? WHY????? :wallbash:
+1

QUOTE (DMLexpert @ Jun 23 2010, 03:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335601
What part of it is a lie?

Agreed, it is a repost of the other thread. And it is best for those who are not interested to simply ignore the thread. Forums are a great place to share and gather information, and the breadth of topics is incredible. I found Hyundai-Forums over a month ago during a google search on suitable replacements for the diseased canary they call a "horn", and I am still reading up on all the information available here. There are plenty of threads that are not to my liking, and I just don't open them.
please oh please don't give us LIers a bad name....there are some of us that realize that duplicate threads=wasted bandwidth....bandwidth isn't free--there is SOMEONE who is paying to keep this forum running.....we are trying to reduce his costs/overhead and keep the forum uncluttered....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts