Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Just wondering if anyone could give me some guidance. Have recently bought a second hand 97 Sonata V6 with roughly 140000kms. The car drove great for a week but now I'm having an issue. The car lost power and stalled while I was highway driving and cranked but didn't want to start. I have replaced the ignition coil but that didn't fix the problem, I then thought it was the fuel pump but have run a couple of tests and that seems fine too. Would replacing an alternator help or could it be not getting enough voltage from somewhere else?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Replacing the alternator will be a waste of money. If the battery is functioning properly, that is all you will need to get the car started. The alternator is only necessary to recharge the battery.
Do you have any method of checking the computer codes? If the fuel pump is alright, then you may have to check to see if the injectors are functioning; if not then there is likely a malfunction in the injector control circuitry. A wiring diagram will help with tracing any electrical problems. I don't know the details of the fuel system but there should be one or more filters between the fuel pump and the injector(s).

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hi there. Just wondering if anyone could give me some guidance. Have recently bought a second hand 97 Sonata V6 with roughly 140000kms. The car drove great for a week but now I'm having an issue. The car lost power and stalled while I was highway driving and cranked but didn't want to start. I have replaced the ignition coil but that didn't fix the problem, I then thought it was the fuel pump but have run a couple of tests and that seems fine too. Would replacing an alternator help or could it be not getting enough voltage from somewhere else?
It you have good spark try squirting a little carburetor cleaner into the intake and see if it fires up. We need to know what is failing. Just because a fuel pump runs doesn't mean it's getting fuel to the cylinders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Replacing the alternator will be a waste of money. If the battery is functioning properly, that is all you will need to get the car started. The alternator is only necessary to recharge the battery.
Do you have any method of checking the computer codes? If the fuel pump is alright, then you may have to check to see if the injectors are functioning; if not then there is likely a malfunction in the injector control circuitry. A wiring diagram will help with tracing any electrical problems. I don't know the details of the fuel system but there should be one or more filters between the fuel pump and the injector(s).
Hello, that could be the case. Just cleaned the TPS, ISC, intake hose, let it idle for half an hour, then drove it at a low throttle, noticed it was idling too fast and then again. Lost power, didn't want to start. When it did start eventually, it was back to normal idle. The airbag light and seatbelt light flash between eachother though.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Have you checked timing belt condition ? What is the service history of the car ? This is Y3 Sonata where the 3.0 V6 is a not very efficient albeit very solid engine - if well maintained. Driving great and then all of a sudden stalling sounds fishy.
Reading codes will not be easy since it has no DLC16 connector (need an upscale scantool). Slipped TB will likely also not generate a code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the problem is definitely the Idle control valve. It's physically broken! But the next thing.. The throttle body has been replaced at some point so tracking down a part with the right amount of screw holes is becoming impossible. I've asked every wrecker near me for a part or a solution and nothing.. It's a great car with only 170000kms on it and always been serviced.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
So the problem is definitely the Idle control valve. It's physically broken! But the next thing.. The throttle body has been replaced at some point so tracking down a part with the right amount of screw holes is becoming impossible. I've asked every wrecker near me for a part or a solution and nothing.. It's a great car with only 170000kms on it and always been serviced.
Always been serviced, Did you buy it from someone you know? Is the throttle body something you replaced? What part are your tracking down the throttle body or the IAC?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,281 Posts
I assume this is a 2.5 V6 engine?

If so the idle control valve on that engine is the same one as used on the 2.4 & 2.7 engines, which are probably more common in the breakers yards.
These engines are also found in several Kia models too. Or you can just buy a new aftermarket valve on ebay....

HYUNDAI/KIA IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE OEM 35150-33010

1 - 12 of 12 Posts