Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I've got an extremely short time period to buy a pre-owned 2009 Sonata GLS.

Here's some specs:
- 2009, white, tan interior, wood trim
- 6 cyl (vroom!)
- 28,300 miles
- Not certified, so it's the 5yr/60k mile warranty :( :(

The reason I have a short time to buy, is a) it's a killer deal (from my findings)... $13.9k, B) it's a 6hr drive from where we live, and we happen to be 4hrs closer to it this weekend due to a vacation we're taking.

Now, first and foremost, I'm not a car noob, just a Sonata noob... I've done plenty of work on other cars, specifically my '03 Accord, which I love.

I'm reading on this forum and finding a LOT of reports of the following:
- Some creaking/thunking noises
- Some a/c (ie, vacuum leak) and dash issues (rattling, etc).
- Suspension/sway bushing issues
- Misc cosmetic issues (molding, panels, etc)

Can someone speak to these issues? IE, what's causing them (poor quality? abusing the car?)

I'm nervous to drive 6hrs from home, buy the car after a visual inspection/test drive, and come back home to find it has/going to have tons of issues.

If the suspension and bushings go out, I'm ok with turning the bolts on those and replace them with polyurethane or something stronger, that's no biggy.... but the quality of the rest is something I'm not going to have the capacity to do. I can't replace panels, vacuums, etc due to lack of those tools/knowledge (not that it'd be hard, but I just don't have the time/patience to learn about how panels come apart).

This is the first time I've ever bought a car off someone I didn't know, and a dealership (stealership) at that.

Anyone have any tips? Questions I should ask, things to look out for (specific to the car, not the negotiation.. I'm a hardass so negotiations I'm ok with).

I'm concerned about any issues with this generation of the Sonata that I'm naive about, and want to know up front.

Please help a fellow hobbyist grease-monkey out!!!!

THANKS!!!

-John

PS - The first thing I plan on doing is replacing all filters, probably a tranny fluid swap (NOT FLUSH!! I will NEVER do a flush on ANY transmission), and potentially a full stereo/speaker replacement.
Later on the line, I *might* do a CAI or WAI/SRI - but since it's the wifey's car... probably not ;)

I'll only change suspension/springs upon required maintenance on this vehicle, but for the sake of asking, what's the thing everyone's using on these? On the Accords we like Eibach ProKits and Koni Yellow adjustables...

Anwyay, thanks again for any help!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Why the rush? Is the dealer pushing the deal? If so, this is a standard dealer hustle -- ignore it.

I like my Sonata's, but I know for sure they're not running out of them.

The V6 is highly desirable - as you may know, Hyundai discontinued it - I know of no other major probs with the cars, -- just nitpicking stuff that all cars have problems with.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Research used cars' prices.... I did it very briefly, and $14k is what one can expect to pay for that car, so I don't see a reason to rush, this seems NOT a killer deal.... I hate buying under pressure, don't see no reason to drive so far for it, and I would never buy a used car that I can't take to a pro for a thorough inspection....

Other than that, no, this car has no major issues. The fact a poster or two come up here with an issue or another does not make it a Sonata-issue. Like ANY NEW car model, there have been some minor issues with the 1st model year, but most were corrected in later model years. Actually, even compared to giants like Toyota and Honda, the Sonata had relatively fewer and more minor new-model issues, that's because Hyundai was smart enough to start selling (and later building) the 4th generation Sonata in North America only a full year after it started selling it in Asia, using Asians as their guinea pigs, instead of the more significant American market......

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just recently purchased that same car for my wife (White, 28,000 miles, V6).

The creaking noises I hear are from the dash when the AC kicks on. Basically the temperature change is causing the dash to make noise (not a big deal in my opinion as it goes away relatively quickly as the car cools).

I don't think I have heard many rattles on the car which is great because we just got rid of a 2008 Volkswagen that rattled constantly on the freeway. The AC has been awesome and is one of the selling points for the car. I live in the desert and this cars air conditioner has been able to over come 120 degree summers without much problem.

The suspension is definitely on the plush side so if you are looking for a firm ride this isn't the car. That being said Eibach does make the lowering springs however shocks are limited to KYB and Monroe. There is a writeup on this here:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t47083-kyb-gr2-gas-shocks.htm

The only complaint I have about the cosmetics of the car is the paint around the rear lights and gas cap lid. It appears it is already peeling or chipping and it was like that on a few cars I saw. Not a real big deal but kind of annoying. I plan to drive this thing until the warranty is up and I don't expect much as far a resale value.

Overall, the V6 is nice but if you can deal with the 4 cylinder I would highly recommend it as the mileage is unbelievable for a car this size. I do regret (a little) not just getting a 4 cylinder for the mileage alone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No no no.... Honestly, the dealer is really lax about the whole thing so far..
The issue is I don't have the luxury of traveling 6 hours 1 way, going back and forth to deal with the car dealership for any issues, or time to deliberate on the idea... I'll be a LOT closer this weekend on vacation, so I don't want to miss the opportunity... We already know we want this make/model, and it has 100% all the specs my wife is dying for (v6, wood trim, sun room, white w/tan interior, etc etc).

@mamamia - Hmmm... As for the $14k being the price... you need to cite a source for that.. Autotrader/Edmunds states $17.5 for CPO (which this car is not), and $17.3 for a retail sale (which is more where this car falls into line)... Nowhere have I seen it that low, so I'm curious where you're getting this information at. ****, maybe I typed some stuff in wrong? :S

@kn5owa - That's what I expected... just some one-off issues people are having...

@Nova1963 - Thanks for the re-assurance, and your findings. I think the OEM shocks will suffice for the wifey, but if I ever get a Sonata I'll definitely be upgrading them.. I'm used to my Koni's, which are adjustable to just short of feeling like "welded shocks." Do you have any idea how the OEM shocks hold up with the Eibach lowering springs?

Thanks again for all your input; once we make a purchase, I plan on being around and heavily active in the community - so you'll be seeing me around!

-dnb

[EDIT]
KBB Estimation: http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/hyundai/sonat...p;mileage=28319

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (bobad @ Aug 5 2010, 01:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347358
Interesting, the Sonata is rated 4.5, the Camry 4.4 on KBB.
The Camry is over rated, and over priced... I do like Toyota quality, and even Honda... but they are getting way over priced!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (DnB @ Aug 5 2010, 09:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347302
@mamamia - Hmmm... As for the $14k being the price... you need to cite a source for that.. Autotrader/Edmunds states $17.5 for CPO (which this car is not), and $17.3 for a retail sale (which is more where this car falls into line)... Nowhere have I seen it that low, so I'm curious where you're getting this information at. ****, maybe I typed some stuff in wrong? :
Unless the car is a LIMITED, see my search results.... I previously was probably looking at the I4 engine.... Still, I don't see a non-certified, 28k miles, $14k car as a killer deal... And if you still think it to be a killer deal, than something may be wrong with the car to make the dealer lower it so much.... But in general: If you can't take the car for a thorough, professional inspection you're buying a cat in a sack....

[attachment=19660:picture_1.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't buy it. The electronics are iffy and insanely expensive to repair. Have a 2006 3.3 GLS. Bought new, currently 82K miles. Air bag light came on, for no apparent reason, $1500 repair and they have to replace the seat??!!! Thank God the A/C electronic gremlin manifested while still under the bumper to bumper warranty. First and LAST Hyundai.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (Mike.Lloyd @ Aug 6 2010, 11:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347587
Don't buy it. The electronics are iffy and insanely expensive to repair. Have a 2006 3.3 GLS. Bought new, currently 82K miles. Air bag light came on, for no apparent reason, $1500 repair and they have to replace the seat??!!! Thank God the A/C electronic gremlin manifested while still under the bumper to bumper warranty. First and LAST Hyundai.
I feel your pain, but hey, maybe it should be the first and LAST this particular dealer? We've read a few others here with your mileage and above, having no problems, or at least no similar problems.... If you go visit ANY other car forum, including those of the best, most expensive European and Japanese -- you WILL find angry owners swearing and promising never to ever buy any car of their current brand. Toyota has been "producing" quite a few of those owners, lately.... A friend of mine who used to own TWO identical Mercedes SUVs has dumped them both with utter disgust. He traded them both for a Lexus and an Infinity. Another one had purchased a BMW 520 for his wife and the car kept breaking down, to a point of being unsafe for his wife and 2 toddlers to rely on that car for their daily commute.

It's probably not a Hyundai thing, it's YOUR Sonata thing.

Not that this is of any consolation to you, I know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I haven't seen or heard of any consistent, major problems with the Sonata's. Hyundai products certainly get rave reviews in the media, and the numbers are out there on the road.

When I go for a drive, I am surrounded by Hyundai products the way I used to be surrounded by Honda Accords (remember them).

The big problems I see are with the car dealers (name your brand). The car advertising on television is very heavy right now and it is 100 % fraudulent. I am talking about the ads that show ridiculously low lease payments and/or very low financing arrangements. You know the ones - they flash on screen with some fuzzy fine print and then disappear in a few milliseconds. The TV ads and the junk mail ads are for one purpose - to get you in the showroom only. Then it's bait and switch time.

I was kinda thinking about a G37 coupe and my first encounter with the sales liars the other day turned me off for at least a few months.

·
Registered
71 Posts
NHTSA website has myriad complaints on '06 Snotters electronics. 59 on Airbag light alone. And TRY to get a response from Hyundai Consumer Affairs.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (Mike.Lloyd @ Aug 8 2010, 08:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347942
NHTSA website has myriad complaints on '06 Snotters electronics. 59 on Airbag light alone. And TRY to get a response from Hyundai Consumer Affairs.
......But if you do the search you'd find NHTSA conducting investigations against SCORES of other car models and brands, including Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mazda and many many others....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, well.. I bought it after test driving and looking all over it... Turns out there was a minor incident on the right side, and "no damage reported" according to the car fax. I bought my Accord in worse condition, and am glad I did...

After buying it, I had the "opportunity" to drive it 350 miles back home.. I gotta say, it's a pretty nice ride... Granted, I'm used to a MUCH stiffer suspension, the coushy-ness of it made it kinda nice.

The only complaint I have about it so far is the steering is a little... hmm.. loose? It seems like it follows the road a little too well, to the point where a slight grade in the road causes the car to move in that direction... My Accord does the same, but only did so after I lowered it and stiffened the suspension; and even still the Sonata is a little more "boat-like" in the scenario... It's almost as if it "floats" in the direction.

There were very few spots that were perfectly flat, and the car seemed to go straight as an arrow... In a few other spots, the road had a left gradient instead of a standard right gradient (most roads graduate to the right so water flows off), and the car floated left - so I feel confident it's not a fault of any sort on the car.

All in all, I had a great 5 hours in the car, and I think my wife will enjoy it for years to come...

I *was* planning on replacing the stereo because the wifey is jealous of my USB head unit; but after looking at every nook and cranny, I found a USB and AUX connection in the center console - SCORE!!!!

Oh, I also got him to drop the price another $600... There's no tint, I told him I wanted the cost of an alignment, and that I would need to buy floor mats... somehow he decided that was worth $600 and who am I to argue?? ;) (I think we all know those items won't cost that much).

They were very easy to deal with, and very honest; I have to say it caught me by surprise at how down to earth they were about the whole thing.
I'm happy with my purchase...

I think I'm gunna hold off on mods for now - afterall, it's my wife's DD, and she doesn't need anything fancy to drive a few miles to work.
I'm still considering a CAI/SRI... mmmmaaayyybbee... I think you have to custom build one on these, right?

I'll be scouring the forums for maintenance tips; I think in about 2-5k miles I'll do a tranny fluid swap... Do you guys do the drain/fill/run for 10 miles/rinse and repeat 3 times trick? IE, *NOT* A FLUSH!?!?

Might also look into bleeding the brakes, just to make sure they're tip top.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Congratulations!

What you describe here is typical to the Sonata, yes, it likes to go the direction of the road level, but as long as it drives straight on a flat road, you've got a well-aligned car.... And yes, the Sonata is noticeably softer than the Accord (more like the Camry in suspension style).

Yes, wait with any mod that you might wanna plan, learn the car a bit, you might change your mind with time..... Yes, a tranny fluid change may be a good idea when the car gets to about 30k. No flush, just a replacement of the fluid. Yes, if you're willing to spend the extra money, do it in 2 intervals, maybe even 3, so more of the old fluid is replaced with fresh one -- BUT PLEASE USE THE CASTROL FLUID RECOMMENDED HERE, not the Hyundai tranny fluid.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (mamamia @ Aug 8 2010, 08:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348079
Congratulations!

What you describe here is typical to the Sonata, yes, it likes to go the direction of the road level, but as long as it drives straight on a flat road, you've got a well-aligned car.... And yes, the Sonata is noticeably softer than the Accord (more like the Camry in suspension style).

Yes, wait with any mod that you might wanna plan, learn the car a bit, you might change your mind with time..... Yes, a tranny fluid change may be a good idea when the car gets to about 30k. No flush, just a replacement of the fluid. Yes, if you're willing to spend the extra money, do it in 2 intervals, maybe even 3, so more of the old fluid is replaced with fresh one -- BUT PLEASE USE THE CASTROL FLUID RECOMMENDED HERE, not the Hyundai tranny fluid.

Enjoy the ride!
Yeah well my Accord's suspension is Eibach Lowering & Koni Yellows, so they're even stiffer than stock!

Excellent, thanks for the input on the steering and tranny fluid!

I'll have to do some research as to why we should use Castrol fluid over the Hyundai (a link would be appreciated ;)).

Thanks again!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (DnB @ Aug 9 2010, 11:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348158
Yeah well my Accord's suspension is Eibach Lowering & Koni Yellows, so they're even stiffer than stock!

Excellent, thanks for the input on the steering and tranny fluid!

I'll have to do some research as to why we should use Castrol fluid over the Hyundai (a link would be appreciated ;)).

Thanks again!
Castrol Multi Import. Read all about it here.... Apparently it's more expensive than Hyundai's own stock fluid, and probably that's why Hyundai (and probably other car makers) don't put it in their transmission, but it DOES a better job, as many would agree, me included (and I did only one change).... More consistent, no more "hiccups" or "violent" shifting even under harsh acceleration.... if you do the tranny fluid replacement ---- makes sense to use only this Castrol Multi Import.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...=CASTROL+Tranny

1 - 20 of 32 Posts