Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my engine started making a rattling noise. It does not matter if the engine is warm or cold. In either condition it produces the same noise. The noise can be best heard at the back of the engine. My car is a Sonata 2.4 GLS from 2006 and has roughly 110000km on the odometer.

Anybody got an idea about the problem?

Tomorrow I'm dropping the car off to the dealer in hopes that they can find it. In any case I like hear some second/third opinions.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you think that's loud then you should hear my '10 2.4 with 126k kms. All i hear in the video is fuel injector ticking.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
Doesn't sound ominous to my ear. There is going to be some lifter noise in all engines and sometimes it can be quite noticeable. I didn't hear any deep noises like rod bearings or main bearings. Probably not terribly serious but it is starting to accumulate some miles.

I concur with the question of what did the dealer say? You might get another opinion or two. I don't think the service advisers will charge you to listen to it.

I would, just to be on the safe side, use the factory filters regardless. I like the gasket design that will prevent it being left on the filter mount. Some of the poorer designs just have the flat gasket that can come off and stick to it and almost always cause a leak.

I think your owner's manual can be consulted to see what the recommended weight of engine oil is recommended. You might be able to go up a notch and see if it makes any difference.

One other thing that might be done is to check the oil pressure and see if it is the normal range. Not sure how that might be done on the engine but I wouldn't think it would be that complicated.

At this point I don't think I would be terribly concerned but I would keep an ear on it. Are you burning any oil?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I would venture the chain stretched and cut the oil jet under the front cover.. does it rattle when started after sitting..

Seen a few of the 2.4L with stretched chain that hyper extend the tensioners and it wont hold rail, and chain cuts the oil jet tube..

Chain
oil jet
rails
tensioner
front seal
drive belt
oil change
RTV

·
Registered
461 Posts
Recently my engine started making a rattling noise. It does not matter if the engine is warm or cold. In either condition it produces the same noise. The noise can be best heard at the back of the engine. My car is a Sonata 2.4 GLS from 2006 and has roughly 110000km on the odometer.

Anybody got an idea about the problem?

Hyundai Sonata Engine noise - YouTube

Tomorrow I'm dropping the car off to the dealer in hopes that they can find it. In any case I like hear some second/third opinions.
Sounds a 100% normal to me, engine is aluminum not as good as sound absorption like a cast iron block, other ticking is the injectors.
You should hear mine at idle, in the cabin it sounds like a Lada.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My car sounded like that before I changed the intake manifold gasket...I was throwing a CEL at the time, but it sounds exactly like mine did. The gasket was $9 + labor. Don't know if there is an easy way to rule one out. I could see the gasket coming out of the side of the intake manifold around cylinder #4.

·
Registered
467 Posts
There is some rattling in there that sounds similar (but not as loud) as my engine rattle when I had a cheap STP oil filter from Autozone on the engine.

The rattle went away when I switched to an OE filter. I've used a couple other aftermarket brands without issue, but that STP filter caused the engine to make a horrible racket.

if you don't have a genuine Hyundai filter on the engine then that will be the first, easiest thing to try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts