Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I participated in a three-way comparo yesterday sponsored by Hyundai. It is called Hyundai Unscensored. Walked away impressed and glad of my purchase. We got to drive a Sonata first in a closed loop course including a wet area to demonstrate TC and ABS abilities. Camry LE, Honda Accord and Hyundai Sonata Limited were the three vehicles.

I was surprised at my dislike of the Accord. The steering was very heavy and the braking/traction control left a lot to be desired. The dash was busy, the seat hit me the wrong way and overall did not impress me.

The Camry was actually nice to drive, it felt similar to the Sonata but I did feel that the interior felt a little more substantial than the Sonata but probably not worth the thousands more in cost over the Hyundai. It did handle well and felt comparable to the Sonata.

Overall, I came away pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What year is the accord and camry? If they aren't 2010 its not a fair comparison. Besides, when I test drove the 2010 accord ex it was a wonderful car with better interior material compare to hyundai, but the price was definite deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
QUOTE (dh431218 @ Sep 27 2010, 03:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359052
What year is the accord and camry? If they aren't 2010 its not a fair comparison. Besides, when I test drived the 2010 accord ex it was a wonderful car with better interior material compare to hyundai, but the price was definite deal breaker.
When I attended the event on Long Island (NY) a little over a week ago, the Accord and Camry were 2010's and had leather and Navi, and then they had 6 Limiteds in silver blue. To me, it seems they did get the competition's "most comparable" versions.

I ended up with the same general verdict as the OP. The Sonata beats the other two. The Accord's dash has a terminal case of buttonitis, and the ride/handling felt to me as if the tires had 90 pounds of air in them. It was noticeably noisier inside and every bump in the worn concrete would drum through the car and the steering wheel. The Camry seemed the opposite, as if the tires had 20 pounds of air. Handling was mushy, with pronounced oversteer. The throttle had an annoying delay followed by a sudden opening that made a smooth takeoff difficult. The Sonata had the best compromise of a quiet smooth ride and good handling. The Sonata had more power off the line, and the extra 10-15% hp makes a difference.

My impression is that Hyundai kept the playing field level. And I would expect them to, since any stacking of the deck in their favor would cause the whole event - which is well publicized and very expensive - to become a laughing stock. Hyundai is proud of the 2011 Sonata, and rightly so. They are confident that the Sonata will beat the Accord and Camry in these testing environments, and so they only need to provide two comparably equipped competition cars and let prospective buyers judge for themselves.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (dh431218 @ Sep 27 2010, 02:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359052
What year is the accord and camry? If they aren't 2010 its not a fair comparison. Besides, when I test drove the 2010 accord ex it was a wonderful car with better interior material compare to hyundai, but the price was definite deal breaker.
As DML said, the two cars were both 2010 models and were similarly equipped. Hyundai didnt try to pull a fast one and use entry level cars compared to a top of the line Sonata. The whole event was well done and I think Hyundai deserves a lot of credit for having the guts to do this.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I agree for what I got in my SE I could not get in a Camry or Accord. Sure I would love to have accord resale value but **** almost $30K for the same gadgets.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Sep 28 2010, 04:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359426
I agree for what I got in my SE I could not get in a Camry or Accord. Sure I would love to have accord resale value but **** almost $30K for the same gadgets.
It amazes me at how expensive Hondas have become lately.

Around Christmas of 2003, I got a 2004 Accord Coupe EX 6-speed for right around $25k fully loaded. The only option I didnt have was Nav. Nowadays, if I configure the same car the same way, the car is a tad over $30k. Thats a big jump for just 6 years. Plus, Hondas have started to become large, bloated versions of themselves (the current Civic is almost as big as the Accord was in the 90s), and the Accord is as big as a Buick nowadays!

Dont get me wrong, Im sure they still make fine cars, but they both priced and designed themselves out of my tastes, and I should be the ideal Honda customer....young 30s single male, making over 60k a year.

Oh well, Im happy to give my money to Hyundai! :)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Before I chose to buy another Santa Fe to replace my 2004, I also looked at the Honda CR-V and like many of you, the value-for-price simply didn't justify the purchase. The seats were okay but there was a little back and butt pain that made me wonder if I'd be hurting on a long drive. Another thing that struck me about the CR-V was the blatant cost-cutting in terms of the carpet. It looked and felt very cheap, had no nap to it at all and looked like that stuff people put down before they put down carpeting. It made me wonder where costs had been cut elsewhere that might result in premature wear. The Santa Fe is like a cathedral it's so quiet while the CR-V is in definite need of some sound deadening. The final dealbreaker for me that sent me back to Hyundai was the fact the CR-V could only be had with Bluetooth if you sprung for navigation, the latter of which I don't need or want. I got the SF with a V6, one more gear and Bluetooth without nav. :grin:

In the end I'm very happy with my SF. I spent less for a car with more power, better seats, better material quality, more value and a better warranty. And if I may say so, much better looking, too. B)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coming from an 2008 Accord EX-L V6, i can say the choice of materials and feel of controls are a little better than Sonata. The Sonatas steering feels overboosted and requires more correction at highway speeds. I thought the Accord was ugly inside and out, but I used that to my advantage because it doesnt catch much attention. Sonata wins for having great fuel economy, style, SE (paddle shifters) a trip computer, and more. I would like to see how reliability stacks up in future years. When I leased the Accord in 2007 (1st model year) I was expecting first year bumps, TPMS problems..rear brake pads squealing at 22,000 is terrible. Honda service was poor compared to my experience at Hyundai. thats my .02.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts