Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been getting that nasty, musky odor in my 2006 Sonata. I just purchased it used last December, so I have no idea when the cabin air filter was last changed. I had to do this with my Camry not too long ago, so I still have the spray to try on it if the filter isn't too old/dirty. The problem:

When I lowered the glovebox to get to the cabin air filter, one of the tabs was broken off. I figured no big deal. I pressed on the other three and they all broke off. My husband tried to get it out, but no luck. I'm afraid of damaging it if I try to pry it out and even if I succeed, do I have to do that every time I need to get to the filter? Any suggestions and does anyone know where I would find a new housing? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also broke one of the tabs off trying to remove the filter housing and would like to know how to get it out of there now as well. Or if I have to pry it out, where can you find a replacement filter housing (dealer or online source)?

Anyone out there have a similar issue to AudreyK85 and I? What have you done to fix this issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had the exact same issue with my 2006 Sonata, shortly after I first bought it. No bad smells, but I figured I needed to get in there and take a look, and swap out the filter element.

I used a flat-bladed screwdriver, wrapped slightly in electrician's (or "Duck") tape, to keep from marring adjacent plastic.

Hard to describe in words, but if you take a close look, you'll see how you have to pry things to "unhook" the remaining plastic tabs. Unhook one at a time, and gently pop the cover (filter holder) outward about 1/16" to 1/8" at a time, so it doesn't lock back in. Work your way around the cover.

I did a search for the cheapest quality replacement cover, on the Internets; I found that the dealership had the best deal, and it was an OEM part! They also had a very good cost for the filter itself, the only better deal I found for the filters was on e-bay for about $8/ea. I used a Hyundai OEM filter first time around, and I am now using the eBay one; I can't tell the difference.

You'll pay a VERY fair price, and won't have to worry about quality if you stick with the dealership.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,236 Posts
I believe this is a common problem to these year Sonatas. I haven't looked at it personally. Can you use some duct tape and keep it in place? Either that or replace it.

They also had problems with the sun visors on some of these cars. I had both mine replaced on my 2008 model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe this is a common problem to these year Sonatas. I haven't looked at it personally. Can you use some duct tape and keep it in place? Either that or replace it.

They also had problems with the sun visors on some of these cars. I had both mine replaced on my 2008 model.
Wow, I guess it all makes sense now, then, because I'm also in need of a new passenger sun visor. A plastic piece inside snapped and now it won't stay in the up position. Sounds like I should look for a good deal on the set for whenever the driver side decides to malfunction too. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Most people (including me) didn't/don't know that the tabs must be squeezed together, towards each other to get the thing out. once I figured it out it was one of those "duh" moments. I obtained a replacement at the dealer for under $10

1 - 8 of 8 Posts