Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, we have Hyundai Sonata 2020. It’s time for you to ask questions about Hyundai Sonata and we will show you some of hidden features those we didn’t have time to show you during in-depth review. So, let’s take a look at the new Sonata - the 8th gen. Hyundai Sonata 2020.

2.0L gasoline engine: [email protected],500 [email protected],800
6-speed automatic
235/45R18

competition: Kia Optima, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I purchased the 2020 Sonata SE Dec 2019. A couple of thing are concerning and I'd like to find out if others have experienced this and/or if this is normal? I've been unable to find any information online.

1. From the day that I drove it home from the dealership I've noticed what smells like burnt oil when parked and engine is turned off. I've noticed it a time or two while sitting idled in line at the drive through as well. No warning lights, the smell quickly goes away, and there is no oil on the ground under the car.

2. Upon a cold start, (after car has been sitting for several hours), when the key is turned the engine doesn't start right away. I instinctively return the key to the off position and then back to start a second time and it'll start right up. I've held it in the start position and after a few seconds it will start. None of the three previous Sonata's I've owned ever did this. They all have started immediately when the key is turned to start. I've tried to locate this in the manual, thinking maybe it's some sort of feature, but haven't been able to find anything on this issue?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Today, we have Hyundai Sonata 2020. It’s time for you to ask questions about Hyundai Sonata and we will show you some of hidden features those we didn’t have time to show you during in-depth review. So, let’s take a look at the new Sonata - the 8th gen. Hyundai Sonata 2020.

6-speed automatic
235/45R18

View attachment 441657

6-speed automatic
235/45R18

View attachment 441657
What is this?
6-speed automatic
235/45R18

If this is what you are driving you are not driving a 2020 Hyundai SONATA. Not even close!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi, I purchased the 2020 Sonata SE Dec 2019. A couple of thing are concerning and I'd like to find out if others have experienced this and/or if this is normal? I've been unable to find any information online.

1. From the day that I drove it home from the dealership I've noticed what smells like burnt oil when parked and engine is turned off. I've noticed it a time or two while sitting idled in line at the drive through as well. No warning lights, the smell quickly goes away, and there is no oil on the ground under the car.

2. Upon a cold start, (after car has been sitting for several hours), when the key is turned the engine doesn't start right away. I instinctively return the key to the off position and then back to start a second time and it'll start right up. I've held it in the start position and after a few seconds it will start. None of the three previous Sonata's I've owned ever did this. They all have started immediately when the key is turned to start. I've tried to locate this in the manual, thinking maybe it's some sort of feature, but haven't been able to find anything on this issue?
Strongly suggest you start your own topic as it will get more attention.
I am on my 4th Hyundai, 3rd Sonata. What you have described should be addressed with the Service Dept where you purchased the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Think I did. I'm new to forum posting. Thank you!
No worries, but you posted your question to an existing thread. To open a new thread go to the top of the 2020 forum, then click on Start Discussion at the top right and you'll open a new thread where you can post your question. You should get a better response there due to increased visibility of your issue from the way you can word the title. Wish I had the answer for your questions, but hopefully this will help you get them. Good luck and welcome to the Hyundai 2020 Sonata forum, and congrats on your new car!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong.

I thought the 2020 had the
8 speed transmission or is that only for the 1.6T engine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
All the 2020 Sonatas have the 8 speed auto, 2.5 and 1.6T.

Previous Sonatas, 2011-2018 with 2.4 and 2011-2017 2.0T were 6 speed auto. The 2018 2.0T has the 8 speed. The ECO 1.6T were 7 speed DCT.

It's a shame that Hyundai didn't refine the DCT to be more widely used and accepted. Many high end sports cars use a similar transmission.

ominousone

·
Registered
149 Posts
All the 2020 Sonatas have the 8 speed auto, 2.5 and 1.6T.

Previous Sonatas, 2011-2018 with 2.4 and 2011-2017 2.0T were 6 speed auto. The 2018 2.0T has the 8 speed. The ECO 1.6T were 7 speed DCT.

It's a shame that Hyundai didn't refine the DCT to be more widely used and accepted. Many high end sports cars use a similar transmission.

ominousone
Just a note that the 2021 Sonata N-line will have a new wet-clutch 8-speed DCT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts