Hyundai Forums banner

Hyundai Sonata 2012 New Engine

5K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  S-petersen 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata and I was told i needed a new engine. Under my warranty and the recall my engine is covered and now Hyundai said they are waiting to receive the green like so they can start to replace my engine and also give me a loaner. I was wondering how long does it usually take to hear back if my engine replacement was accepted ?

#5 ·
with my 2011, approval in 3 days,engine arrived in 3 days, replaced in a day, about a week start to finish 2.4L with 119.5k

#9 ·
HAHA Another Sonata motor that died literally a few miles before the 120k mile extended warranty ended. Mine also died at 119.5K. And my process was 1 day to get an answer, 1 month to get the car back. I got a very nice V6 Impala to drive for a month. There was a significant back order on motors.

#8 ·
I just got my 2.4 replaced with an entire long block assembly. My engine seized up completely. Funny thing was back in January I had my dealer do all of the recall work/checks. A couple of calls to Hyundai America to tell them what happened and they coordinated my appt. with my local dealer. Engine was ordered and came in 2 working days and installation was finished two days after that. I did have to spend $300 on all of the recommended new belts and hoses. My dealer gave me a nice loaner too.

#10 · (Edited)
Modern engineering(or cost cutting) sucks! We have to pour the most expensive oil, the best filter in our cars, and they still go screech ...BANG! The starter's plastic lever breaks often before the 100,000 mile mark.I have a bad down paddle switch, and the brake switch had been replaced, the tail light sockets have bad contacts in them, sometimes they melt. My 2002 Saturn has whatever plain oil is on sale with a cheap Fram filter, and 7500mi oil changes(it has an oil change light) and at 258.000 miles it's just about done, it's not burning any oil, but the engine is getting mechanically noisy, It still has the original timing chain, I replaced the $20 water pump at 240,000 miles starter at 230,000 miles it still has the original alternator.I have never had a switch go bad.The intake, valves and injectors have never been cleaned. It still gets about 32mpg combined driving. I realize it's 1000# lighter, and 75HP less, but there is something wrong with this picture.
Saturn is not perfect either, they have had major problems with a bad batch of piston rings, horrendous CVT problems also, but on the Vue, When back under GM control, problems with the ION timing chains, to name a few

Reactions: Mattpsu
#12 ·
Same here, I had a 96 Saturn SL2 that was pretty reliable too, until my brother got it and beat on it.

However, we also have to look at the areas that Hyundai gets right, that other automakers get wrong. My wife's New Beetle had the (automatic) shifter break, the door handles break off, the turn signal stalk contacts go, the heater core went (requiring the dash to be taken apart $$$), and the infamous 09G transmission that required a rebuild every 75k miles or so. Hyundai mostly gets that stuff right (thank God). It's the turbo engines. electric steering, and the electrical wiring (ex: clock springs, lighting) that they struggle with. Badly.

#11 ·
Hey, it is what it is, a poorly designed engine, some people are lucky some aren't, but the engine does have a lifetime warranty as long as all the updates/recalls have been completed.
Just use regular Dino oil with any oil filter and be done with it as no type of lubrication will help.

#14 · (Edited)
Mine just had a bad connection, not melted yet,I used a small screw driver to bend the contacts up and put more pressure on the bulb. The metal is too thin(cheap), and it loses tension against the bulb, I also went to a led bulb to reduce heat.
If things get to be any worse, I may replace the sockets or harness
Both are available on E-bay, and likely Amazon

Reactions: DarrenBach
#21 ·
Guys are being perhaps a little too harsh here on Hyundai? Every manufacturer has its share of issues and niggles. The YF turbo is a 275 HP engine on a fairly stock frame and suspension components. I would expect more wear and tear on the car than a N/A car given it is likely driven harder by folks. The 2011-2014s are close to 7-9 years now, things are expected to break as they age. I've had stuff go bad on mine - just fix it and move on. This forum helps with that :)

#22 ·
I think the harshness was that they knew they had a problem, and didn't care about the customer until forced to make it right (they actually blamed the customer in many instances). Many companies have had issues, and made it right without being forced to. Another problem is that the same problem has been ongoing for years, without any real fix, or explanation.

#23 ·
Many companies have had issues, and made it right without being forced to.
Rarely do automakers fix things without a big push from their lawyers and the regulators...even when deaths are involved.

#25 ·
I don't recall Ford doing anything willingly for a long time until the government intervened. Instead of Vega, you may be thinking of Corvair, "Unsafe at any speed". GM was not forthcoming either, but they did redesign the rear suspension.

#26 · (Edited)
I think the 4cyl Vega without the cyl liners, that wore out at 50k miles were recalled, but I could be wrong it was in the middle 70's IIRC

Found an article

#28 ·
I don't remember that one, but I was put off when I was looking at a Porsche 928, and found the same no sleeve block

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.