Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata and I was told i needed a new engine. Under my warranty and the recall my engine is covered and now Hyundai said they are waiting to receive the green like so they can start to replace my engine and also give me a loaner. I was wondering how long does it usually take to hear back if my engine replacement was accepted ?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Optima, but with my '11 2.0T, dealership spoke with Kia, pulled valve cover and about 3 hours later got loaner, then 7 days later car done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
anywhere from 1 day to 3 months for diagnosis/"approval". then once approved the actual work takes 2 days to 11 months depending on how organized the dealer is. the good thing is that a loaner is fully covered under this recall.

·
Registered
130 Posts
with my 2011, approval in 3 days,engine arrived in 3 days, replaced in a day, about a week start to finish 2.4L with 119.5k

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata and I was told i needed a new engine. Under my warranty and the recall my engine is covered and now Hyundai said they are waiting to receive the green like so they can start to replace my engine and also give me a loaner. I was wondering how long does it usually take to hear back if my engine replacement was accepted ?
It took me a week to get a loaner. My car is currently in the shop awaiting engine replacement. 2013 Sonata GLS. They said it should between thr 18-19th of this month. Hopefully. This hasnt been very quick though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
deleted

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my 2.4 replaced with an entire long block assembly. My engine seized up completely. Funny thing was back in January I had my dealer do all of the recall work/checks. A couple of calls to Hyundai America to tell them what happened and they coordinated my appt. with my local dealer. Engine was ordered and came in 2 working days and installation was finished two days after that. I did have to spend $300 on all of the recommended new belts and hoses. My dealer gave me a nice loaner too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
with my 2011, approval in 3 days,engine arrived in 3 days, replaced in a day, about a week start to finish 2.4L with 119.5k
HAHA Another Sonata motor that died literally a few miles before the 120k mile extended warranty ended. Mine also died at 119.5K. And my process was 1 day to get an answer, 1 month to get the car back. I got a very nice V6 Impala to drive for a month. There was a significant back order on motors.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Modern engineering(or cost cutting) sucks! We have to pour the most expensive oil, the best filter in our cars, and they still go screech ...BANG! The starter's plastic lever breaks often before the 100,000 mile mark.I have a bad down paddle switch, and the brake switch had been replaced, the tail light sockets have bad contacts in them, sometimes they melt. My 2002 Saturn has whatever plain oil is on sale with a cheap Fram filter, and 7500mi oil changes(it has an oil change light) and at 258.000 miles it's just about done, it's not burning any oil, but the engine is getting mechanically noisy, It still has the original timing chain, I replaced the $20 water pump at 240,000 miles starter at 230,000 miles it still has the original alternator.I have never had a switch go bad.The intake, valves and injectors have never been cleaned. It still gets about 32mpg combined driving. I realize it's 1000# lighter, and 75HP less, but there is something wrong with this picture.
Saturn is not perfect either, they have had major problems with a bad batch of piston rings, horrendous CVT problems also, but on the Vue, When back under GM control, problems with the ION timing chains, to name a few

Reactions: Mattpsu

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hey, it is what it is, a poorly designed engine, some people are lucky some aren't, but the engine does have a lifetime warranty as long as all the updates/recalls have been completed.
Just use regular Dino oil with any oil filter and be done with it as no type of lubrication will help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Modern engineering(or cost cutting) sucks! We have to pour the most expensive oil, the best filter in our cars, and they still go screech ...BANG! The starter's plastic lever breaks often before the 100,000 mile mark.I have a bad down paddle switch, and the brake switch had been replaced, the tail light sockets have bad contacts in them, sometimes they melt. My 2002 Saturn has whatever plain oil is on sale with a cheap Fram filter, and 7500mi oil changes(it has an oil change light) and at 258.000 miles it's just about done, it's not burning any oil, but the engine is getting mechanically noisy, It still has the original timing chain, I replaced the $20 water pump at 240,000 miles starter at 230,000 miles it still has the original alternator.I have never had a switch go bad.The intake, valves and injectors have never been cleaned. It still gets about 32mpg combined driving. I realize it's 1000# lighter, and 75HP less, but there is something wrong with this picture.
Saturn is not perfect either, they have had major problems with a bad batch of piston rings, horrendous CVT problems also, but on the Vue, When back under GM control, problems with the ION timing chains, to name a few
Same here, I had a 96 Saturn SL2 that was pretty reliable too, until my brother got it and beat on it.

However, we also have to look at the areas that Hyundai gets right, that other automakers get wrong. My wife's New Beetle had the (automatic) shifter break, the door handles break off, the turn signal stalk contacts go, the heater core went (requiring the dash to be taken apart $$$), and the infamous 09G transmission that required a rebuild every 75k miles or so. Hyundai mostly gets that stuff right (thank God). It's the turbo engines. electric steering, and the electrical wiring (ex: clock springs, lighting) that they struggle with. Badly.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata GLS
53 Posts
Tail light sockets. I'm going thru this now. How did you fix?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine just had a bad connection, not melted yet,I used a small screw driver to bend the contacts up and put more pressure on the bulb. The metal is too thin(cheap), and it loses tension against the bulb, I also went to a led bulb to reduce heat.
If things get to be any worse, I may replace the sockets or harness
Both are available on E-bay, and likely Amazon

Reactions: DarrenBach

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hyundai mostly gets that stuff right (thank God). It's the turbo engines. electric steering, and the electrical wiring (ex: clock springs, lighting) that they struggle with. Badly.
Got to love that one. Over the years, not only turbo engines, but the N/A engines as well, along with the high pressure fuel line, low pressure fuel line, seat belt linkage, air bags, fractured coil springs, brake lines leaking, trans shift cable detachment, brake switch, steering gear assembly, front door latches, parking brake indicator may not work, sunroof panel may detach, ABS warning light may not function, but other than these, the car's perfect.

Those are just recalls, but how many other problems, e.g. steering coupler, Turbo oil feed line, A/C compressor control valve, just to name a few.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Got to love that one. Over the years, not only turbo engines, but the N/A engines as well, along with the high pressure fuel line, low pressure fuel line, seat belt linkage, air bags, fractured coil springs, brake lines leaking, trans shift cable detachment, brake switch, steering gear assembly, front door latches, parking brake indicator may not work, sunroof panel may detach, ABS warning light may not function, but other than these, the car's perfect.

Those are just recalls, but how many other problems, e.g. steering coupler, Turbo oil feed line, A/C compressor control valve, just to name a few.
Don't know about that! Guess I was lucky but I had a 2012 Turbo for 5 years and traded it in with 60K miles and never ever had a problem with anything mentioned!~

·
Registered
924 Posts
Don't know about that! Guess I was lucky but I had a 2012 Turbo for 5 years and traded it in with 60K miles and never ever had a problem with anything mentioned!~
First part are the recalls, so they were prevalent enough that NHTSA required the cars to be recalled, and the other problems that come with higher mileage, my 2.0T, steering coupler (117,000miles), turbo oil feed line (114,000miles), control valve (111,000miles), you just didn't have enouigh miles, but they have had to replace engines with 7000 miles. My engine replaced at 172,000 miles along with ATF temp sensor, front hub bearings and the crappy brake system with the sliders that freeze, and also caliper pistons.
Maybe some are lucky and have minimal problems.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
First part are the recalls, so they were prevalent enough that NHTSA required the cars to be recalled, and the other problems that come with higher mileage, my 2.0T, steering coupler (117,000miles), turbo oil feed line (114,000miles), control valve (111,000miles), you just didn't have enouigh miles, but they have had to replace engines with 7000 miles. My engine replaced at 172,000 miles along with ATF temp sensor, front hub bearings and the crappy brake system with the sliders that freeze, and also caliper pistons.
Maybe some are lucky and have minimal problems.
You are probably right! I didn't have it long enough to get all the problems!

·
Registered
139 Posts

Yeah you have a point, I left some out. I was focusing on the problems that owners are statistically likely to have, like the blown engines, steering parts breaking, etc. Some of the ones you listed, while inexcusable, are more rare. Keep in mind that my wife brought a VW New Beetle Convertible into the family when we got married, so perhaps I'm setting the bar very low for reliability. That car had an automatic gear shifter that broke, a transmission valve body that nearly everyone had to rebuild, fuel leaks, countless electrical problems, a leaky top, etc. etc. and the parts cost far more than Hyundai parts.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
the crappy brake system with the sliders that freeze, and also caliper pistons.
...on mine it was the piston seals on both that seized, on the rear. Pain in freakin' @$$!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts