Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys
i have Hyundai sonata year 2012, the car has not navigation, so i think to buy a original ( used) navigation and to install in the car, the question is: is needed to programming anything in the car? or just plug and play?

best regards

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
Im just guessing but I would expect it to require a lot of wiring changes, probably uses a different harness. I know in the MBZ C 250 that I used to have it could not be done for a reasonable price. Much easier to go to an aftermarket

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (White)
59 Posts
I second on going aftermarket. Plus, with Garmin you can get lifetime map updates, download specific routes/waypoints to the GPS, more flexible routing and it can be used in multiple vehicles. The downside, the audible prompts probably won't interface with the stereo (when GPS provides audible prompt, the stereo doesn't mute). However, Garmin has bluetooth that could be connected to the car (if equipped) or use an Aux cable, then play MP3s on the GPS while navigating.

I did this on a Goldwing. The map updates on the 'wing were few and far between, cost around $100, and weren't that great to begin with.

Also, if you're not keen on attaching the GPS to the windshield, you can purchase a weighted pad that sits on your dash and has a plastic disc that the suction cup can be attached to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
navi

this is not for hyundai sonata, or is not for 2012 models.
the problem is: if i buy a original navi, does it work only plag and play or need any programming in the car?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
if i buy a original navi, does it work only plag and play or need any programming in the car?
I don't think it will need programming but it might not be a plug 'n' play install either depending on what radio is in the car now.

AFAIK, the navigation head unit is designed to work with an external audio amplifier. If the original radio has an internal amp the navi isn't going to work, even although the harness connectors for both units are the same. The navi might switch on and function but you'll have no sound from the speakers if the car doesn't have the external amplifier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
navi

thank you AUTOSPARK , the No part of my radio is 96180-3Q700 , i don't know if in the car is any external amplifier, where is location of the amplifier ( if it has ) ?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
Looks like the amp is in the boot....I mean trunk :smile:
You'll probably need to remove the trims to find it though.

EDIT.....I just googled your part number. That looks like the basic radio with an internal amplifier.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts