Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a Hyundai Sonata 2007 Automatic 2.4 4 Cyl and the car has been driven for 45000 KM, i would like to change the oil but no idea which oil is recommended for this car, meanwhile when i start the engine it has a kind of noise as if the amount of oil is not enough inside the car that kind of noise. Car has no problem and the ride is very nice. just wanted to get some info which oil is recommended for this car.

Thyank you Guys.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
There is TON of material here about this issue, just spend some time searching.... But it is also marked on your oil cap, 5W20. People have been arguing about this for ever, dino oil vs. synthetic oil, 5W20 vs. 0W20 vs. 10W30... to each his own.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Matin @ Jun 29 2010, 07:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337069
I have just bought a Hyundai Sonata 2007 Automatic 2.4 4 Cyl and the car has been driven for 45000 KM, i would like to change the oil but no idea which oil is recommended for this car, meanwhile when i start the engine it has a kind of noise as if the amount of oil is not enough inside the car that kind of noise. Car has no problem and the ride is very nice. just wanted to get some info which oil is recommended for this car.

Thyank you Guys.
Hi Matin and welcome!

Miami's advice is spot on, the manual clearly states the recommended range of oils.

IIRC, the recommended oils are 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30. The 5w20 is best for fuel
efficiency and cold weather, the 10w30 is best for maximum protection in hot weather.

The startup noise could be valve train noise, which makes a tapping sound for 30 seconds
or so after startup. If the sound is a loud metallic grinding noise, it could be the timing
chain tensioner is defective or isn't getting enough oil.

Did you check your oil with the dip stick? It's possible someone didn't add enough oil.

Good luck. Let us know if you find the problem!

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is a bit off topic from the original question, but I found this sticker on the airbox of my brand new Sonata:[attachment=19135:CIMG0016.jpg]

It's a bad pic, as it was taken in the dark with a Palm Pre... As far as oil weight goes, I spent too long running 7.3L Powerstrokes to put anything lighter than 10w40 in anything bigger than my Kubota lawnmower, but am I to understand Hyundai wants me to run Quaker State oil in my car? I mean, I may disagree about a lot of things with a lot of people on this site, but does anyone here think that's a good idea? And if there is a good reason to run Quaker State in my car, please share it. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Hyundai made a deal with Quaker State to run the logo. The short answer is that it doesn't matter. Just use any:

API Service SM* or above,
ILSAC GF-4 or above

5w-20 or 5w-30 for all temperature ranges.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks, jsinton. I thought maybe Hyundai was in a big hurry to have every single car they sold have to have the engine replaced under warranty at 25K Miles!

Now they've got me afraid there's already Quaker State in the thing. Guess it's going to get it's first oil change at 150 miles, then another one at 200 to make sure all that goop is out of it...

I hate to sound like a jerk, but I won't even use Quaker State to oil my pliers.

Seriously, though, Mobil full synthetic should be just fine, right?

And one more question: Do these cars use a special ATF, and should it be changed every 3K miles with the oil, or just every 9K miles when I change the trans filter?

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (hatesmith @ Jun 29 2010, 09:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337338
And one more question: Do these cars use a special ATF, and should it be changed every 3K miles with the oil, or just every 9K miles when I change the trans filter?
There is no Trans Filter to be changed? Read your manual and don't take your sum knowledge of information from an online forum!

Or you can always just try our Search button. Like the Google© of Hyundai Forums.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is there no trans filter in these things? I just got it today, I haven't had a chance to rip the pan off yet. I've just always changed the transmission fluid every 3K Miles when I change the oil & the trans filter every 9K Miles on automatics. I haven't had a lot of automatics and I'll never be entirely convinced that they're safe to put in front wheel drive cars at all. You guys seem pretty knowledgeable about Sonatas (where my specialty is Ford 300 inlines), and I figured one of you guys could tell me if they take some kind of crazy trans fluid.

As far as the manual goes, **** that's a good idea. I'll read it tomorrow. With any luck it'll take the same 90W as my Clark 280, and I'll be in business!

I feel the need to stress that that last statement was a joke.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Can your Company use another guy who knows all about our NF Hyundai? I work cheap! Love your profile :thumbsup:
About me... Basically, I hate Hyundais, but my company loves them, and we have an agreement: I maintain the car, and in exchange I get a more generous personal use policy than you could possibly imagine. I'm not here to troll, I will mostly keep my negative opinions of Hyundais to myself, as most people here are Hyundai enthusiasts, and I generally try not to be an *** on the Internet. I'm here to get info, and in the rare case I have an answer to give, I will gladly give it. I also think it's great that this forum automatically bleeps out my expletives, because I've got an uncontrollably foul mouth. Have a great ***** day.

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 30 2010, 01:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337354
Can your Company use another guy who knows all about our NF Hyundai? I work cheap! Love your profile :thumbsup:
Sorry, hiring freeze, but I only have to maintain my own. Seriously, though, can I expect to get at least 50K Miles out of this auto in this Sonata as long as I change the trans fluid every time I change the oil? And when they go out, do they just slip out, or do they seize and flip the car like VolksWagens do?

·
Registered
87 Posts
No offense, but 105K my ****. I had a VW with an automatic & only like 70K miles on it. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the car, I just wanted a truck, so I straight traded this guy for his Ranger. The very next day, I found out the transmission seized clean up at 70MPH and flipped the car on its nose. He and his wife were both killed. If I had kept that car for 36 more hours, that would have been me and my fiance. I don't care how stupid you guys think it is, I'm scared to death of front-wheel-drive cars with automatics, and I maintain the living **** out of them. Fresh fluid every 3K miles, and a new filter every 9K miles. And once they get to about 50K, I want them gone. I made my boss swear on his life that he would only make me drive this car for 2 years, since after that 2000 Elantra, he promised me my next co. car would be a manual, or at least rear-wheel-drive.

Sorry to rant.

As far as what kind of work do I do... My "unreimbursed employee expenses" write-offs so far include (for this year) ink pens, a Stihl MS310 chainsaw, Cat5E cable, 5 boxes of 12 guage 3" 7.5 shot, around 20 pizzas, a hammer drill, 10 gallons of J.I. Case TCH Fluid, the new version of Photoshop, and a handful of routers & switches. I don't really have a title. I work for one of those companies that kind of does "everything." And, no, believe it or not, we don't do anything illegal.

·
Banned
873 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 30 2010, 12:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337354
About me... Basically, I hate Hyundais, but my company loves them, and we have an agreement: I maintain the car, and in exchange I get a more generous personal use policy than you could possibly imagine. I'm not here to troll, I will mostly keep my negative opinions of Hyundais to myself, as most people here are Hyundai enthusiasts, and I generally try not to be an *** on the Internet. I'm here to get info, and in the rare case I have an answer to give, I will gladly give it. I also think it's great that this forum automatically bleeps out my expletives, because I've got an uncontrollably foul mouth. Have a great ***** day.

sounds like a typical truck driver:) but other wise

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Ohhhh, Maaaaaaaaaaaaannnn, I'm starting to REALLY enjoy this forum.......................... Where have you been all those long boring years, hatesmith ?

Oh, and BTW, what's this Location: DubV ?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
hatesmith, I once knew a guy that joked about how the hills in his home state were so steep his legs were different lengths. BTW, I second Mamamia's sentiments --- welcome on board!

·
Banned
873 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Jun 30 2010, 03:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337541
Ohhhh, Maaaaaaaaaaaaannnn, I'm starting to REALLY enjoy this forum.......................... Where have you been all those long boring years, hatesmith ?

Oh, and BTW, what's this Location: DubV ?

he claims that he had a volkswagen so hes a madd dubber fan probably,
truck driver behavior = vdubber driver behavior
:whistling:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nah, guys, I never gave a thought to maintaining my transmission before the little incident with the VW, that's why I do what I do now. If I had thought anything was mechanically wrong with that car, I would have told the guy. I told him there was a leak in the rack, he said it was no big deal, he could get a new rack from a buddy who worked at a junkyard. He went for a drive after leaving the dmv.

For those of you who don't live in the Appalachians, DubV is West Virginia, though it is soon to be one big sludge pond, splitting the Appalachians into two distinct mountain ranges, thanks to open-pit coal mining.

My legs are the same length, I have all 27 of my teeth (I know what you're thinking, but I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was a kid, and there is one on the bottom in the front that the dentists tell me never exisited in the first place - either way, there's not a gap, so I don't give a ****), I've never done geek, and I am not a truck driver. Anymore. The job I have now only requires a Class C License, so I let my CDL go, it costs too much to keep one in this state if you don't drive a truck for a living.

I'm just a normal person. Included is a photo of myself:

[attachment=19169:partypossum.jpg]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.