Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received December issue of Consumer Reports and looks like reliability ratings are dropping for yf sonata's (especially turbo) as they age and more data becomes available. Hyundai in general has dropped to 21st place among all brands. Hopefully the pics are clear enough to read. 1383423847261.jpg 1383423876422.jpg 1383423902579.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Received December issue of Consumer Reports and looks like reliability ratings are dropping for yf sonata's (especially turbo) as they age and more data becomes available. Hyundai in general has dropped to 21st place among all brands. Hopefully the pics are clear enough to read. View attachment 87281 View attachment 87289 View attachment 87297

Sent from my SCH-I535
They all decline as they age. The true lemons are the ones that are trouble prone during the first few years. And as far as CR is concerned, their ratings are pretty worthless IMO.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They all decline as they age. The true lemons are the ones that are trouble prone during the first few years. And as far as CR is concerned, their ratings are pretty worthless IMO.
Hope you're right. I've been purchasing only Toyota's for the past 25yrs and their reliability always remained high even as they aged. Never besides normal maintenance have any of them had any problems. I still own 2 of them, one is a 2002 camry v6 xle w/147k miles on it the other 2007 camry se w/65k I was hoping my sonata se would be just as reliable and so far no problems but it just concerns me a bit when i see reliability ratings drop. As far as Consumer Reports goes they are highly reputable imo. I've had a membership with them for about 20 yrs now and they've never steered me wrong on products. I really like my sonata and get plenty of compliments on it. It's a great looking car, just hope it runs trouble free for a long time :)

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
134 Posts
From what I understand, one of the issues with the CR reliability ratings is that they rely on reports from subscribers and the surveys can be too subjective, i.e. asking owners to classify the severity of problems they have had with the vehicle rather than having an objective criteria. People's reporting can be influenced by how reliable they perceive the car to be - they can tend to minimize problems with "reliable" brands (ahem, Honda, Toyota) and exaggerate problems with "unreliable" ones.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My Korean built Accent has been trouble free since new in December 2011. CR has it above average just behind the Honda Fit. I think their data is reliable, but they factor in everything such as complaints about Bluetooth. Minor complaints about electronics can drag the Hyundai reliability numbers down. So far I'm happy with my Accent's performance and reliability.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Toyota and Honda have had their share of major issues over the years - transmissions etc. with Hyundai! you need not worry about those big ones for 10 years or 100k miles. That's what attracted me to the brand. After driving the Sonata for roughly 18 months and nearly 30k trouble free miles, I'd say I'm sold on the brand. Shopping for a new Genesis as soon as they hit the showrooms.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,222 Posts
Turbos are always problematical and should be seen as a maintenance item to be replaced at some point in time. Big rigs blow those things all the time. And they are built to last. When the bearings run low on lubricant they seize up and "boom!" I doubt it will be any different on other makes either.

I've owned six Hyundais and never had any problems except a fuel cap issue on my Santa Fe that was corrected with a software patch and the sun visors in my 2008 Sonata that was replaced under a recall notice.

Occasionally, (that means seldom) the auto transmissions may develop a problem. If it continues, the fix is to remove and replace the entire transmission as the shops are prohibited from rebuilding them. This is all on the manufacturer but I believe it to be rare.

I'd rest easy.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(According to CR) Among the hyundai subcompact cars the Accent is doing very well. The regular Veloster is doing poorly and the turbo version is total garbage. I've been seeing quite a few Veloster's on the roads, wonder what issues they're having to have such a horrible rating. 1383452684802.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Turbos are always problematical and should be seen as a maintenance item to be replaced at some point in time. Big rigs blow those things all the time. And they are built to last. When the bearings run low on lubricant they seize up and "boom!" I doubt it will be any different on other makes either.
Very true, and if you'll notice, the EcoBoost Fusion scores worse than the naturally aspirated 2.5 version. This may be why Toyota chose to keep the V6 as their optional engine.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm on my 10th Hyundai (my current 2013 Sonata Limited 2.0T) and still own the 9th too (wife's 2013 Accent SE). My first was a five Excel GLS back in '87.

Hyundai's ONLY problem with "reliability" is their dealer's service personnel.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Received Consumer Reports 2014 buying guide today. The 2011 & 12 Sonata turbo made the used cars to avoid list along with the 2011Sonata hybrid. The 2012 Genesis sedan also on the list to avoid.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How did the 2.4l come out?
The 2.4 didn't make the "best of the best" used cars to purchase list but it is on the "recommended" cars to buy list with a reliability score of average.
The 2011&12 Elantra sedan made the best of the best used car list! The 2013 vehicles aren't considered used cars yet so obviously they weren't included but i would imagine the 2013 Elantra will make best of the best used car list next year and 2013 Sonata turbo will be on the used cars to avoid list but that's just my assumption.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 2.4 didn't make the "best of the best" used cars to purchase list but it is on the "recommended" cars to buy list with a reliability score of average.
The 2011&12 Elantra sedan made the best of the best used car list! The 2013 vehicles aren't considered used cars yet so obviously they weren't included but i would imagine the 2013 Elantra will make best of the best used car list next year and 2013 Sonata turbo will be on the used cars to avoid list but that's just my assumption.

Sent from my SCH-I535
thx.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
don't forget either that any model that is common in the rental fleets are usually never high on the 'used' car list to buy.

i used to be a CR subscriber for years (12+). i cancelled the magazine, but kept online version, as i can access this where ever i may be. i got tired of buying something they highly recommend, then the next time they test, it fell off the 'recommended' list.

their cars have always subjective in ratings. i use other avenues for my vehicles now to find their 'reliability'.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
don't forget either that any model that is common in the rental fleets are usually never high on the 'used' car list to buy.

i used to be a CR subscriber for years (12+). i cancelled the magazine, but kept online version, as i can access this where ever i may be. i got tired of buying something they highly recommend, then the next time they test, it fell off the 'recommended' list.

their cars have always subjective in ratings. i use other avenues for my vehicles now to find their 'reliability'.
Not sure why rental cars would make a difference. Camrys are rentals and they are always on the used car to buy list. Im sure Elantra's are rentals as well. So im not getting your analogy.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
I used to find consumer reports interesting, then I turned 16. They are know for being hacks, for the most part. Plenty of good quality "black ball" vehicles they have and several rolling trash heaps they recommend. Several other places to look at ratings beyond them.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I used to find consumer reports interesting, then I turned 16. They are know for being hacks, for the most part. Plenty of good quality "black ball" vehicles they have and several rolling trash heaps they recommend. Several other places to look at ratings beyond them.
My opinion of CR is different. Are they perfect? Of course not but who is? I've been a CR subscriber for 20yrs now and have used them as a guidance tool for vehicles, electronics, appliances, flooring etc. and haven't once "yet" been let down. Instead of just saying they are hacks please give us personal examples of your experience with them otherwise your opinion of them has no merit.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I haven't looked at a CR magazine in years, but I know they used to use the black, white, and red dots to indicate problems with certain areas (engine, transmission, body integrity, etc). Seemed like they were always pretty spot on.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts