Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 SFS 2.4L and have been through 5 windshields so far. This is getting crazy---My wife and I take the same route to work daily and my Highlander has no problems in the 8 years I've owned it regarding the windshield. I'm trying to figure out if it's the angle of the windshield or the "safelight" glass replacements I've been using each time. Meaning, do they use "bad" glass?

We travel 70% highway (RTE 295 in NJ and PA Turnpike). Anyone have this concern?

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
782 Posts
I have a 2014 SFS 2.4L and have been through 5 windshields so far. This is getting crazy---My wife and I take the same route to work daily and my Highlander has no problems in the 8 years I've owned it regarding the windshield. I'm trying to figure out if it's the angle of the windshield or the "safelight" glass replacements I've been using each time. Meaning, do they use "bad" glass?

We travel 70% highway (RTE 295 in NJ and PA Turnpike). Anyone have this concern?
Was there more to your post?
The subject line implies that there's some issue with the angle of the windshield, but your post doesn't give any details other than you've gone through 5 windshields.

Are they breaking, cracking, what?
What's the angle issue/question you have?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
You can drive the same road a million times with no issues, then just once to have something fly into the windshield.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was there more to your post?
The subject line implies that there's some issue with the angle of the windshield, but your post doesn't give any details other than you've gone through 5 windshields.

Are they breaking, cracking, what?
What's the angle issue/question you have?
I was questioning if anyone else was having this problem and maybe the standard angle of the windshield has something to do with it....This is an awful lot of windshields to be going through in such a short period of time. That's why I am asking----is the angle of the SFS windshield more susceptible to damage or is it the cheaper "safelight" glass that I am replacing the windshield with?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Well, a quick Internet search shows that a lot of people believe that the Safelight glass is thinner by quoting both measurement and weight. I have never compared them but if the comments I read are correct then it is certainly possible that the glass itself is a big part of your issue.

Although I generally dislike bug shields as they change the airflow over vehicles and can induce both added wind noise and vibrations you might want to consider adding one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My experience has been that. Safelite has good glass. Thinner does not necessarily mean it's not as good. I've never checked thickness or weight but I've never had a problem with their replacement glass, and they've done a lot of windshields for me. The last was my 2016 Colorado. The Safelite glass was much better than what GM used. One of the dealer's service writers mentioned that he had noticed a marked increase in problems with glass of late. Makes on wonder...

That said, I've had a few vehicles I've had bad luck with in the past. A '99 Mazda 626 went through 3 windshields in less than a year for no obvious reason. Old pickups and Suburbans had windshields like barn doors and I've suffered my share with them. Probably just dumb luck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had to replace the original glass on my 2013 after three really good hits on regularly-traveled roads. New replacement, not Safelight but something I was told was OEM-spec, three months later, one rock and i was treated to a new star.

Short answer, no.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Same here. Second windshield on ours got hit with a hickory nut just above the cowl and started to spider. So all it takes is a little force just in the right spot. Other times it will get hit straight on and keep chugging.

Here is what a rock did to the hood at 70mph coming off of a construction dump truck. Luckily hood took most of the force as the windshield didn't crack.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts