Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Santa Fe Hybrid not even a month and it drop dead yesterday. The car just lost power and after I restarted the car, It refused to engage the gears. Luckily I was not on the highway, otherwise things will be worse. Hyundai claim their cars are reliable and how come this happened for a brand new car!

I called their roadside services and they sent a CAA to tow the car to the Don Valley North Hyundai Service Center, that is where I brought the car. And this morning their service consultant called and said that I didn’t make any appointment so need to wait for couple of days. I argue with him and he said he is going to give me an update by noon and now is nearly the day end and there is no news!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drove it for one day and today the engine light is on!!! I totally lost my confidence on this Hyundai Hybrid car, and the quality of their service team….

What can I do? Can I return the car or request to change to another one? I sent a complaint to Hyundai Canada and there isn’t any response!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a Santa Fe Hybrid not even a month and it drop dead yesterday. The car just lost power and after I restarted the car, It refused to engage the gears. Luckily I was not on the highway, otherwise things will be worse. Hyundai claim their cars are reliable and how come this happened for a brand new car!

I called their roadside services and they sent a CAA to tow the car to the Don Valley North Hyundai Service Center, that is where I brought the car. And this morning their service consultant called and said that I didn’t make any appointment so need to wait for couple of days. I argue with him and he said he is going to give me an update by noon and now is nearly the day end and there is no news!
Hi Kevin,
Where are you in Canada? We are in Winnipeg and we have been having similar struggles with our new 2022 PHEV. Is yours the plug in Hybrid too? Did your issue happen to start when it was very cold outside? That's when ours started. The "check hybrid system" light came on and it would not engage the gears at all so we had to have it towed. The dealership said it was fine (just warmed it up and cleared the codes) but then it happened again 3 days later and we had to get it towed again. We then waited about 4 weeks while they tried two different repairs. They gave it back to us and 2 days later the check engine light came on. So we brought it back in and we are awaiting further updates. It has been very frustrating. Hyundai Canada was not helpful at all on the phone.
Jacky

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kevin,
Where are you in Canada? We are in Winnipeg and we have been having similar struggles with our new 2022 PHEV. Is yours the plug in Hybrid too? Did your issue happen to start when it was very cold outside? That's when ours started. The "check hybrid system" light came on and it would not engage the gears at all so we had to have it towed. The dealership said it was fine (just warmed it up and cleared the codes) but then it happened again 3 days later and we had to get it towed again. We then waited about 4 weeks while they tried two different repairs. They gave it back to us and 2 days later the check engine light came on. So we brought it back in and we are awaiting further updates. It has been very frustrating. Hyundai Canada was not helpful at all on the phone.
Jacky

Jacky, I am in Markham, Ontario. Mine is the gas/Hybrid. The day was not cold at all when the engine lost power and the engine warning was on. It has been 16 days already and I still haven’t heard anything from the dealership service center. I did send email to Hyundai Canada to complain but they ask me to go back to the dealership. It is a nightmare these happened to new cars…

·
Registered
9 Posts

My 2022 hybrid died yesterday. The engine was starting and stopping, on-off-on-off, and then a bunch of system warnings (TPM, side safety sensor, rear safety sensor) and then a hybrid system failure - pull over now warning and then it just died. 6,700 miles. It was towed to Sport Durst Hyundai in Durham, NC. I am in the second day now and still can’t get ahold of a service tech to talk. This is an out of town issue and I need a car but this dealer is practically non-existent. The only thing that has worked so far is Blue Link, which arranged a tow truck. Kudos to AAA for the tow but not impressed with Hyundai after the sale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 2022 hybrid died yesterday. The engine was starting and stopping, on-off-on-off, and then a bunch of system warnings (TPM, side safety sensor, rear safety sensor) and then a hybrid system failure - pull over now warning and then it just died. 6,700 miles. It was towed to Sport Durst Hyundai in Durham, NC. I am in the second day now and still can’t get ahold of a service tech to talk. This is an out of town issue and I need a car but this dealer is practically non-existent. The only thing that has worked so far is Blue Link, which arranged a tow truck. Kudos to AAA for the tow but not impressed with Hyundai after the sale.

since you are in the US, you should use the “lemon law” to demand the dealership to return the car….

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Mike,
That sounds so frustrating and similar to our situation with the hybrid system warning. However ours wasn't being driven when it first happened. It had been parked outside overnight in cold weather. Even though ours is a plug-in hybrid and yours is hybrid I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the hybrid components themselves in both versions of the vehicle. I'm curious to know what they end up telling you for the fix. I agree that the service to call from the car for a tow truck worked really well but it's not a service I want to have to use very often with a new vehicle...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m curious to find out what your issue ends up being. I noticed that the BlueLink vehicle diagnosis function says the vehicle is all ok. My confidence is waning.
The dealer service center couldn’t find out what’s the problem and escalated to Canada HyundaI, after close to a week they said it is the engine sensors issues but they don’t have the parts! Until today, already close to 3 weeks, still not fix yet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is interesting Kevin. Our latest development is a check engine light that the dealer has diagnosed as being a problem with the "coolant temperature sensor" so they have ordered that part to replace. In the meantime they have given the vehicle back to us saying it is ok to drive for now. It has been like pulling teeth to get any sort of courtesy car or rental during all of this here too. They were going to give us a courtesy car today but then last minute said we could take the Santa Fe back instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dealer service center couldn’t find out what’s the problem and escalated to Canada HyundaI, after close to a week they said it is the engine sensors issues but they don’t have the parts! Until today, already close to 3 weeks, still not fix yet!
I can’t get the service advisor to return my calls so I went to the dealer Sat morning. Still no diagnosis and was told they are working with factory technicians to figure it out. I didn’t leave with any sense of a plan. I have opened a case with Hyundai. If I have to go the lemon route it will be a shame because I really like the vehicle and it will be almost impossible to find a new hybrid in this market.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Two weeks at the dealer and they still have no idea. They are working with techs out of California but still nothing. At this point there doesn’t seem to be a plan other than swapping out components and see what sticks. Virginia lemon law kicks in at 30 days and I intend to invoke that if we hit it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi again,
I hope you don't have to use the lemon law but glad you have the option. Our PHEV has actually been ok so far since they replaced oil pressure pump and then the control module for that part. We have tested it outside in -25 to -30 celsius on a few days now and once overnight. It has been alright so far except for the engine light which they diagnosed as a faulty coolant temperature sensor so waiting for that part but it has been driving fine in the meantime.
Mike did you say it was pretty cold when your issue first started? I'm not sure how cold it gets in Virginia but I'm guessing not as cold as Manitoba! Do you know what parts they've tried changing so far on your hybrid? I agree with you that we like the vehicle so hoping that it pulls through.

Jacky

1 - 20 of 31 Posts