Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I need your collective help with my problem.
So I just bought a used 2014 model Santa Fe 2.2 CRDI from Korea with 42,000 km on the odo. Upon delivery i noticed the CEL was on and the vehicle would not redline or rev above 3k rpm when driving, also had slight difficulty in starting. I have since read the code with my scanner (PO335) and replaced the crankshaft position sensor with a new one. Car drove like a charm with no starting or speed issues. I have had to deal with some maintenance issues, lower arm bushings and a broken shock spring. then just last week i heard a sputtering sound from the engine. discovered the no.1 fuel injector had sprung a leak causing rough idling. I have since had the injector seal replaced with a new one and the leak was contained. Tested the injectors by selectively turning them off one at a time and all appeared good. 3 days ago I noticed some rough idling when in drive which goes away when i hit the gas pedal. I checked the injectors again using previously mentioned method and determined that the no. 1 wasn't working. car still started up without issue until yesterday when it failed to start after stopping briefly to shop. car would crank but not start. Had a mechanic check for fuel flow etc. car would start with carb cleaner and stall. Do you think my injectors have failed or could this have something to do with a fuel pressure issues? I would greatly appreciate your input. Cheers

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,716 Posts
Have you scanned for codes again since the non start fault?
The fact the engine started on carb cleaner tells us there is no fuel being injected into the cylinders, which is often because the fuel pressure is too low. Is your scan tool able to display fuel pressure, or the pressure sensor output voltage? What readings do you get during crank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply AUTOSPARK, yes I did scan for codes but got none, CEL also not lit. Tried to start car today and still wouldn't turn over. My scan tool is the OTC brand. Couldn't or don't know how to use scan tool to display fuel pressure etc. PIDs didn't have those readings when i read the live data. I'm waiting on new injectors at the end of this week to see if the issue is resolved. bugs me that car was starting even with the no.1 injector not working and then after a 5 min stop wouldn't start again at all. Is the Mileage not too low to be having this problem or do you think the odometer could have been reset to a lower mileage?. In any case I would confirm by weekend if the injector replacement resolved the issue.

·
Registered
14,716 Posts
CEL also not lit.
So the CEL doesn't illuminate when you switch the ignition on? That doesn't sound right.
Does the glow plug warning light illuminate when the ignition is first switched on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the CEL doesn't illuminate when you switch the ignition on? That doesn't sound right.
Does the glow plug warning light illuminate when the ignition is first switched on?
I meant the MIL is not set and I have no codes from scanning the ECU. The CEL comes on briefly when i switch on the ignition and goes of. same with glow plug light.

·
Registered
14,716 Posts
What do you mean by MIL & CEL?
Assuming CEL is the Check Engine Light (the light that displays a little engine icon), that shouldn't normally switch off until the engine is running.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Check engine light is the MIL not so? (the light that displays a little engine icon). It stays on but appears to want to go off while cranking. Doesn't eventually go off because the engine doesn't run.

·
Registered
14,716 Posts
The Check engine light is the MIL not so?
Yeah, but so is CEL...Check Engine Light. Folk usually use one or the other when they are talking about the check engine light but you mentioned both in the same post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, my bad. I get you. Will update after I have installed the new injectors expected at the weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the new injectors came in today and I had them installed by the mechanic. Vehicle continues to crank but still won't start. Battery grew weak from cranking. At wits end. I have an auto electrician coming to take a look tomorrow. Will report back on any developments. What more should I consider? New crankshaft position sensor installed a month ago and now new injectors. No codes retrieved and no check engine light. Is there anything else I should consider?

·
Registered
14,716 Posts
What more should I consider?
As I said before, you really need to make sure that pressure is building in the fuel rail. The pressure needs to reach a specific level before the engine ECU will start to inject fuel into the cylinders. The easiest way to check is using the scan tool data list, but if the scan tool you have doesn't show it you can just measure the pressure sensor signal voltage using a multimeter/voltmeter. The pressure sensor signal needs to rise to 1V or greater during crank before fuel will be injected. I'm sure your auto electrician will know how to measure the sensor signal voltage. The signal is on the center wire of the sensor harness connector.

CRDi Pressure Sensor Signal Test - KOEO = 0.5V, Engine Crank = 1.0V before fuel will be injected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I have an update for all and it's good news all around. Car is starting and driving really good, very nippy. The auto electrician after doing his inspections and checks stated that the vehicle was in good condition but was prolly worn from all the previous cranking and needed to be force started. He achieved this with a carb cleaner into the throttle body and the engine came alive. He'd failed to start it with the ignition prior. It idled rough for some time and he left it running for a good 30 mins to clean out the system, he said. He checked the fuel filter (a lot of work to get out) and confirmed it was in good condition. Car has started well every time since and drives with no problem. I sense a little vibration from the steering and hope that it would resolve itself in due course. Don't know if the quality of the diesel is to blame. So in all, I changed all four injectors and starting issues seem resolved. I know some here have done much more and had their problems return to varying degrees and periods. Hoping this doesn't follow same route. Cheers to all especially AUTOSPARK for all your insights.

·
Registered
14,716 Posts
Great to hear she's up and running again. I hope that is the end of you troubles...fingers crossed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm happy to report my baby's been well behaved since the last update. She starts up real quick and nice every time. I just noticed that she appears to need a little more acceleration before picking up on speed, feels like wheels are locked up a bit. May be its due to the weight or the experience of switching from a gasoline to diesel car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts