Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bought new (now with 12,000 mile) Santa Fe gets gas fumes in the cabin. This began after the first routine maintenance at 6000 miles. I first noticed it when I would accelerate up a steep hill. I took it to dealership = "nothing is wrong". It worsened and was happening on flat roads as well. It was always intermittent but reliably present going steeply up with acceleration. Took it in for the second time. The mechanic didn't find a problem but he did notice the title cover that closes over where the fuel line and engine join was in the upright position. He pushed it down into place. We asked him to ride with us when we picked it up and that is when he told us about the latch thing. We left and had no funmes for a week. Today "in the uphill acceleration" it did it again. I have placed a complaint with Hyundai asking to get this fixed. I really need to know if anyone else has had this happen to them? I need it fixed...I have to open the windows to get the fumes out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My bought new (now with 12,000 mile) Santa Fe gets gas fumes in the cabin. This began after the first routine maintenance at 6000 miles. I first noticed it when I would accelerate up a steep hill. I took it to dealership = "nothing is wrong". It worsened and was happening on flat roads as well. It was always intermittent but reliably present going steeply up with acceleration. Took it in for the second time. The mechanic didn't find a problem but he did notice the title cover that closes over where the fuel line and engine join was in the upright position. He pushed it down into place. We asked him to ride with us when we picked it up and that is when he told us about the latch thing. We left and had no funmes for a week. Today "in the uphill acceleration" it did it again. I have placed a complaint with Hyundai asking to get this fixed. I really need to know if anyone else has had this happen to them? I need it fixed...I have to open the windows to get the fumes out.
I have had an exhaust fumes smell in the cabin of my 2020 Santa Fe from the first few weeks that I got it. I have taken it back in several times and they always tell me that they smell nothing, yet everyone else smells it. The smell is most noticeable after the car has been idling for about 10 minutes. I don’t know what to do. If I sit in the car while waiting for my kids, I start to feel nauseous from the fumes. The smell seems to dispute once you start driving again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Edmonstons " Lemon Aid guide" makes reference to this as being a common problem.. Buy a copy and show it to your service advisor

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought one of these on Amazon. Worked great in finding a natural gas leak at my home.
Y201 Propane and Natural Gas Leak Detector; Portable Gas Sniffer to Locate Gas Leaks of Combustible Gases like Methane, LPG, LNG, Fuel, Sewer Gas; w/ Flexible Sensor Neck, Sound & LED Alarm, eBook

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe SE (Earthy Bronze) with factory trailer hitch.
237 Posts
One time, after getting an oil change, my wife noticed a "gas" smell. She took it back the next day and they found that the oil cap was not in place and the fumes filled the cabin within 2 minutes, only when engine was running. The replaced the oil cap and the fumes never came back. In OP's case, maybe oil was spilled on the exhaust manifiold or somethig else that gets hot. Just my $.02

side not: my computer does not have the "cents" key. Y'all remember the "cents" sign, right. A little "c" with a vertical line through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts