Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned this car for about 15 months. I got it in 2016 right after they hit the street. It is a beautiful vehicle and has every option offered but I have had one complaint and that is the rear springs and shocks. My dealer told be that since this was an AWD it has the HD suspension. Can't prove it by me.

Any time I hit a dip in the road or cross from an interstate highway to an over pass where the roads are different levels the back in flies up then comes down and hits bottom. Even if there is no weight in the back.

I currently have 14,000 road miles on this car and from day one my dealer tells me that this is normal and won't do a thing for me. This is my 3rd Hyundai and I traded a 2008 Vera Cruz for this car and it didn't do this. I also own a 2011 Sonata SE and it has a great suspension.

I am posting this issue since Hyundai customer service told me to go back to any dealer but in my area the close dealers don't have good reviews and the only good one is 60 miles away.

I would like for 2017 Santa Fe owners to weigh in on this and let me know if they have experienced this pogo stick rear end. It is really bad and at night with head lights on the beams go from way down front to in the trees. On interstates I have had cars flash be back thinking I have flashed them. It reminds me of the spongie suspension GM put on their cars in the 60s.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Is yours a sport as this is a SFS forum - but even if it isn't it's a a very compact suspension on the Sante Fe's - this is why there is so much space in the rear. And when you say bottom - do you mean the suspension stops or actually hitting the street. all things considered just not a huge amount of travel in the suspension - crawl under the car and you will see the springs are comparatively short. C&D did a long term test yrs back and liked the car until they took it on a camping trip and immediatedly notice the issue you are having .

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
825 Posts
I've never had my SFS (the sport, the short one, not the LWB longer one) "bottom" out. If anything, I think the suspension is too stiff. And I've hit some major potholes/bumps around here (and felt everyone one of them). We have one spot where there's a rather pronounced frost heave on an interstate on-ramp going around a corner. The speed limit is 40 mph, (or is it 30, I forget). But basically if you're not driving at least 45 mph, you get run over by everyone. When I hit that, I can feel the car kinda "shift" (not up/down, but to the right) as I'm probably going too fast. But to be honest, it did that with my old Chevy POS as well.

I've seen complaints about the LWB version and the struts. There's a thread in that forum titled something like "stronger rear struts" or something, but you'll definitely see it over there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned this car for about 15 months. I got it in 2016 right after they hit the street. It is a beautiful vehicle and has every option offered but I have had one complaint and that is the rear springs and shocks. My dealer told be that since this was an AWD it has the HD suspension. Can't prove it by me.

Any time I hit a dip in the road or cross from an interstate highway to an over pass where the roads are different levels the back in flies up then comes down and hits bottom. Even if there is no weight in the back.

I currently have 14,000 road miles on this car and from day one my dealer tells me that this is normal and won't do a thing for me. This is my 3rd Hyundai and I traded a 2008 Vera Cruz for this car and it didn't do this. I also own a 2011 Sonata SE and it has a great suspension.

I am posting this issue since Hyundai customer service told me to go back to any dealer but in my area the close dealers don't have good reviews and the only good one is 60 miles away.

I would like for 2017 Santa Fe owners to weigh in on this and let me know if they have experienced this pogo stick rear end. It is really bad and at night with head lights on the beams go from way down front to in the trees. On interstates I have had cars flash be back thinking I have flashed them. It reminds me of the spongie suspension GM put on their cars in the 60s.
I too am a proud owner of a fully loaded, beautiful 2017 XL version. My husband HATES to ride in my vehicle because we get bounced around seemingly every bump or imperfection we hit in the road. We usually have golf clubs in the back and its makes quite a racket. My dealer also said nothing wrong with the suspension. They're great so I have to believe that's just the way Hyundai designed the suspension for this vehicle. Bummer though because I love everything else about this vehicle. I may shop around to see if there's anything comparable without the bouncy suspension.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
269 Posts
I agree that the rear suspension bottom down way too easily and too often, even with nothing in the trunk.
Since I bought it new, I always hated the rear suspension on my 2013 SFS 2.0t, and I always carry all my work tools and spare parts adding weight so problem is worse...

They made some revision to the suspension I think in 2015 or 2016, so I have the worse of all of them :cry:

Around 220 000km, one of the rear coil over spring broke. After some research, I did take a chance to replace them with used XL springs and it worked! They fit exactly in place and since the XL weight more they are more stiff. Ride height is a little higher, but with all my tools and parts the rear doesnt sag as much now.

I would not say its night and day difference, but it definitely helped, doesnt bottom down as often, even with my 220 000km original shocks absorber.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you get your springs? I have a 2015 Sport and the rear springs bottom out easily. The only ones I can find are Hyundai OEM replacements online.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this forum I've had the same problem I have a 2009 2.2 diesel and hated the suspension in mine ..upgraded both front and back to kyb shocks kyb mounts and king springs which give the ride height an extra 2 inch lift all around..so much better I've had 18 boxes of floor tiles in the back and it still didn't bottom out ..I used to hate travelling up an incline even with passengers a small bump and it will bottom out...also go general grabber at 3 at tyres it looks so much better and more capable

1 - 7 of 7 Posts