Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Maybe someone here could help me with the problem below. I have posted this on another site so have just copied and pasted everything here. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Nexo
Hi all. Im having a problem starting my 2007 Santa Fe from cold. It starts after a few turns but runs very rough, bellows smoke and then cuts out. It took 15 attempts of this for it to eventually tick over this morning, all be it very rough for the first 2 minutes with little or no throttle response and plumes of smoke. Once warmed up it was fine with no smoke and it restarted without a problem. However I did notice it had a hesitation between 1000-2000 rpm after restarts throughout the day but again this cleared up once it was warm.
I suspect injectors?
Anyone input appreciated?
It has 95k miles on it.

Sportchip
look like AGR valve pronlem

Fencer
I had an almost identical problem with the wife's Hyundai Tuscon 2.0 diesel. If yours is the older model Santa Fe then its the same engine.
Brought it to Hyundai garage at least 5 times. They couldnt identify the problem as nothing showed up in the diagnostic. Initialy suspected injectors then replaced AGR (or EGR?) valve - no change.
It eventually was found to be an engine sensor was at fault (camshaft sensor I think). It didnt light up the engine management light or show on the diagnostic in the garage.
It was a royal pain in the backside as I would bring it in after trying for ages to start it (especially if it was a cold morning) but, by the time I got to the garage the engine was warm and started no problem.
I felt at one stage that the mechanics thought I was making up the fault! I had to wait until it became impossible to start and got it towed to the garage - only then did the garage find out what was wrong with it!

Nexo
Thanks for the replies lads. My mechanic removed the injectors last night and spotted no. 2 leaking. I'm going to have all 4 checked today at an engineering shop.
I spoke to Hyundai yesterday and their recommendation was to leave it with them overnight so they could replicate the cold start problem in the morning whilst plugged into disgnostics.
Mine is the new model 2.2 diesel.

Fencer
Best of luck with it - I believe that the newer 2.2 engine is a much better engine than the older 2.0 one. But its a bit annoying that Hyundai appear to be unable to diagnose a problem without replicating it - same thing happened to me - I owuld have expected them

Nexo
Engineer got back to me this afternoon saying he couldnt find a fault with any of the injectors. Because they are a new type and apparently very reliable he has not seen any come in with faults to date. To be 100% sure of no faults he wants to check them against a new injector which Im told will be done tomorrow.
Looking like it could be a trip to the main stealer for diagnostics
Fencer was yours very smokey when trying to start?

Nexo
sportchip looks like you could be right. I spoke to another dealer about the problem and they said its likely to be the EGR valve.

Fencer
I dont recall it being very smokey to be honest. The EGR valve was replaced on ours as well but didnt make any difference. The scary thing is that nothing showed up on the diagnostics and the Hyundai mechanics didnt seem to know what was causing it. I still wouldnt rule out an engine sensor - but I hope it is an EGR valve as I understand its cheaper to replace than an engine sensor. Best of luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would check the camshaft sensor because it directly relates to startup timing. If it is off you can expect difficult or rough startup.
Another item, also related to EGR function could be a leak in one of the vacuum hoses.
EGR is vacuum driven. Also causes rough idle, below 2000 revs (should only kick in over 2000 revs).
Eventually the cranckshaft sensor could be at fault, used for overall timimg, but often not related to startup, but overall performance.
Fuel problems could relate to a sticky fuel release/return valve. When it sticks open a bit it could prevent enough fuel pressure buildup in the rail, so low fuel to the injectors, hence bad running. But you would need to check the pressure with a gauge for that.
You could check for enough return fuel flow (return line on top of each injector). If hardly present one could suspect low fuel pressure.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Nexo: My sister has a Hyundai Accent which was suffering all sorts of similar problems to yours, Once it had started it wouldn't rev and plumed black smoke. After a series of fruitless garage visits I finally got a chance to look. (I'm a mechanic, but live abroad.) There is an aluminium throttle body with a sprung butterfly valve on the intake manifold with a plastic linkage operated by a vacuum diaphragm. This is where the re-breathed oil fumes from the crankcase end up (they are channeled into a flexible trunk after the air filter). Once these fumes condense on the walls of the throttle body, they form a tar-like residue which impedes the opening of the butterfly. Removing this body is a relatively easy/rapid task. (Remove four 10mm nuts and a neoprene vac hose) Once off, clean the inside with carburettor or brake cleaner then flip it open and shut to ensure it moves freely. it should snap to the 'open' position when released. Once you're happy with this, reassemble and the problem is solved. If there's any suggestion of it sticking shut, you can adjust the stop bolt to prevent it from closing fully. This adjustment is not critical. If you're under confident of attacking it yourself, show this description to your mechanic, he'll get it. Best of luck with it. Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with a Santa Fe 2007 V2.7

Hi all. Maybe someone here could help me with the problem below. I have posted this on another site so have just copied and pasted everything here. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Nexo
Hi all. Im having a problem starting my 2007 Santa Fe from cold. It starts after a few turns but runs very rough, bellows smoke and then cuts out. It took 15 attempts of this for it to eventually tick over this morning, all be it very rough for the first 2 minutes with little or no throttle response and plumes of smoke. Once warmed up it was fine with no smoke and it restarted without a problem. However I did notice it had a hesitation between 1000-2000 rpm after restarts throughout the day but again this cleared up once it was warm.
I suspect injectors?
Anyone input appreciated?
It has 95k miles on it.

Sportchip
look like AGR valve pronlem

Fencer
I had an almost identical problem with the wife's Hyundai Tuscon 2.0 diesel. If yours is the older model Santa Fe then its the same engine.
Brought it to Hyundai garage at least 5 times. They couldnt identify the problem as nothing showed up in the diagnostic. Initialy suspected injectors then replaced AGR (or EGR?) valve - no change.
It eventually was found to be an engine sensor was at fault (camshaft sensor I think). It didnt light up the engine management light or show on the diagnostic in the garage.
It was a royal pain in the backside as I would bring it in after trying for ages to start it (especially if it was a cold morning) but, by the time I got to the garage the engine was warm and started no problem.
I felt at one stage that the mechanics thought I was making up the fault! I had to wait until it became impossible to start and got it towed to the garage - only then did the garage find out what was wrong with it!

Nexo
Thanks for the replies lads. My mechanic removed the injectors last night and spotted no. 2 leaking. I'm going to have all 4 checked today at an engineering shop.
I spoke to Hyundai yesterday and their recommendation was to leave it with them overnight so they could replicate the cold start problem in the morning whilst plugged into disgnostics.
Mine is the new model 2.2 diesel.

Fencer
Best of luck with it - I believe that the newer 2.2 engine is a much better engine than the older 2.0 one. But its a bit annoying that Hyundai appear to be unable to diagnose a problem without replicating it - same thing happened to me - I owuld have expected them

Nexo
Engineer got back to me this afternoon saying he couldnt find a fault with any of the injectors. Because they are a new type and apparently very reliable he has not seen any come in with faults to date. To be 100% sure of no faults he wants to check them against a new injector which Im told will be done tomorrow.
Looking like it could be a trip to the main stealer for diagnostics
Fencer was yours very smokey when trying to start?

Nexo
sportchip looks like you could be right. I spoke to another dealer about the problem and they said its likely to be the EGR valve.

Fencer
I dont recall it being very smokey to be honest. The EGR valve was replaced on ours as well but didnt make any difference. The scary thing is that nothing showed up on the diagnostics and the Hyundai mechanics didnt seem to know what was causing it. I still wouldnt rule out an engine sensor - but I hope it is an EGR valve as I understand its cheaper to replace than an engine sensor. Best of luck and keep us posted!
Hello

I'm from Chile

I have the same problem with a Santa Fe 2007 V2.7

Nexo, please, If you know what it's the problem, please tell me

I don't have enough money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.

I have the same scenario on my 2008 CRDi. It starts and runs with a rough idle for a few seconds before it dies. I can start it immediately after, but it dies again after a few seconds. This goes on and on. Even if I give it some throttle it will die after some time.

I have cleaned the EGR valve, and replaced all 4 injectors, but the problem still remains.

I see that you have similar problems. What was the solution on you cars?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Hi.

I have the same scenario on my 2008 CRDi. It starts and runs with a rough idle for a few seconds before it dies. I can start it immediately after, but it dies again after a few seconds. This goes on and on. Even if I give it some throttle it will die after some time.

I have cleaned the EGR valve, and replaced all 4 injectors, but the problem still remains.

I see that you have similar problems. What was the solution on you cars?
Has the fuel filter been changed recently - have the glow plugs been checked?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.
The diesel filter was changed this summer when the car was serviced. I also checked this earlier today, and made sure there was no water in the filter.

The glow plugs I haven´t checked but the temperature are not that low that is should be a problem for a CRDi engine.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Unless you're in the Middle East, the glow plugs operate all year, simply needing longer before you crank the engine in colder weather. Many diesels are designed for the glow plugs to operate during running at anything les than fully warmed up as this aids combustion and reduces emissions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 2.2 it was getting harder to start when cold but warmed up it was ok. finally one morning could not get it started. I live in Panama coldest temperature is 24C so very warm but apparently the glow plugs are used all the time.
All 4 were replaced and engine started right away, I still have a bit of rough idle sometimes mechanic says one fuel injector, I will have those out shortly.

By the way the glow plugs are located in the back of the engine almost half way down a bit difficult to get too took the mechanic 3 hours to remove and install the new ones.

Hope this helps.

Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Santa fe 2.2L diesel and am also having the same issue as you... I live in South Korea and the winters are quite cold, but not cold enough that the engine shouldnt have a problem starting-IMO.
This is my first Diesel engine car that I have owned, and have bought it used.

When its cold - below 0 degrees C, It keeps turning, but doesnt turn over... I've been told to park the car underground in the garage, so i've done so for some time, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a car - which is for convenience!
I've had it checked at two different mechanics... The first one was trying to rip me off saying that i have to change my timing belt and fuel filter, tires, sensors, battery, etc - to add up to a cost over $2000 US dollars... The second was more trustworthy and sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I changed out the battery, and it all seemed fine for a couple days, but the car is still having issues with starting in the cold... when it does start eventually , white bellows of smoke followed by the car warming up...

I've read up alot of the forums and have read very similar problems with this engine, and everytime there is mention of either the egr, cam sensor, crankshank sensor, and or glow plugs.
It would be great to know how to take off and install new parts because since i live in Korea, I can get parts for fairly cheap...

Anyone find a good answer to this issue??? Does anyone know where the cam sensor is located on this engine?
anyone with some good advice on this?? Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if this was mentioned so far, but I had a problem with 2.0L diesel Santa Fe not starting.

The main dealer has initially suspected that injectors, car battery and many other parts are at fault.

Finally at the local garage, they found out that it is the fuel filter relay (in the relay box) that sometimes doesn't switch as it should.

It's just an easy fix to swap it for another relay (for example the air conditioning one) and the fuel pump one and the car didn't have starting issues any more.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts