Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have problem with my Santafe’s engine. It started yesterday when I was driving on a highway and the car started shaking and the engine seemed like it was misfiring. The the car just shut down at the traffic lights and I had to tow it to home.

Today I’ve been trying to solve the issue and after charging the battery (the battery was almost empty for some reason) I managed to start the car after trying countles times. Idling sounds really rough and I can also hear a knockkng sound from the engine. I measured the battery voltage with a multimeter and got a reading of 12,2vol when the car is off and then after starting it says little bit over 13vol. But the multimeter also goes to zero when the car is on every now and then.

I have no idea what can be the problem… I have fault codes p1661 and p0381. They have something to do with the cruise control and with glowplug/heater indicator circuit. Any ideas to solve this problem and get my car running again are really welcomed.

- Kristian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Allright, I changed the glow plug relay and now I can start the car easily. The earlier fault code is gone but now I have a new code U0001 that has something to do with CAN communication malfunction. Also the engine seems to knock a lot especially when accelrating and there’s a loss of power. Any ideas are welcome

·
Registered
71 Posts
Possibly fuel injectors causing this knock. Possibly one of the cylinders is not fuelling correctly. What's the mileage (kms) on your car? I take it that you also checked the engine oil and that is within the required level?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possibly fuel injectors causing this knock. Possibly one of the cylinders is not fuelling correctly. What's the mileage (kms) on your car? I take it that you also checked the engine oil and that is within the required level?
Yes I suspect the injectors as well. The car now stopped altogether on the road while test driving and I had to get it towed to a repair shop. I hope there isn’t a bigger damage inside the engine, I heard somekind of clicking noise from the engine before it shut down for good.

It’s really strange because I didn’t get any new fault codes. And also the earlier code u0001 dissappeared once I reseted the ECU.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And it has 342 000km on it so it’s not a new one any more :) I changed the oil and filter a week ago with the same quality oil that I always use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Allright, I did some test driving and unfortunately the whole engine blew up for good :( Towed it to a repair shop and they dropped the oil pan to see what happened. The whole oil filter inside the oilpan was totally clogged with black sludge and there were also a lot of metal scrap everywhere. If I had knew this I would have cleaned that filter.

I have now heard that this is a quite common problem with these engines. They end up clogged with sludge that prohibits the oil circulation inside the engine and a total engine failure follows. I really recommend if you have the same diesel engine and a lot of miles on it to drop the oil pan and check the situtiation just to be sure this doesn’t happen to you!

Too bad because I really liked this car and also maintained it as good as I could. The car had a lot of kilometers on it and maybe the earlier owner didn’t maintain it so good. But oh well, time to look for a new car, maybe the 2,7l v6 petrol version of the same model this time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Allright, I did some test driving and unfortunately the whole engine blew up for good :( Towed it to a repair shop and they dropped the oil pan to see what happened. The whole oil filter inside the oilpan was totally clogged with black sludge and there were also a lot of metal scrap everywhere. If I had knew this I would have cleaned that filter.

I have now heard that this is a quite common problem with these engines. They end up clogged with sludge that prohibits the oil circulation inside the engine and a total engine failure follows. I really recommend if you have the same diesel engine and a lot of miles on it to drop the oil pan and check the situtiation just to be sure this doesn’t happen to you!

Too bad because I really liked this car and also maintained it as good as I could. The car had a lot of kilometers on it and maybe the earlier owner didn’t maintain it so good. But oh well, time to look for a new car, maybe the 2,7l v6 petrol version of the same model this time.
What were your oil change intervals in kms?

·
Registered
71 Posts
For the last 3,5 years I changed the oil and filter after 12000km once a year
OK. That's probably borderline OK and the outer limit for an older diesel. The problem as I understand it is that on older engines there is more blowby (past the cylinder walls into the crankcase) and this additional blowby begins to erode the properties of the oil, necessitating more frequent oil changes when the engine gets older. I would recommend no more that 8k kms on an older diesel engine with higher mileage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK. That's probably borderline OK and the outer limit for an older diesel. The problem as I understand it is that on older engines there is more blowby (past the cylinder walls into the crankcase) and this additional blowby begins to erode the properties of the oil, necessitating more frequent oil changes when the engine gets older. I would recommend no more that 8k kms on an older diesel engine with higher mileage.
Allright, thanks for the tip👍🏼

1 - 11 of 11 Posts