Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Numbers are out for November in this press release. Total brand down 9%, but SUVs are up.

Sonata and Accent absolutely tanked. The new Elantra is the only bright spot in sedans with an increase.

SUVs are up with Santa Fe up a little and Tucson 51%. Seems like Tucson is carrying the SUV line.

They sold 2 Genesis in November? Probably dealer loaners.

Press Release: https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/2442

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I can sort of understand the Sonata. I'm not crazy about the new styling either. Its not as nice as the pre-2015 style, way too conservative, and the refresh is kind of Toyota-like but the Camry looks more modern inside - and now they have the new Accord to compete with!. The new Elantra is nice. Also a bit surprised that Tucson is doing as well and Santa Fe is not doing better, considering the Tucson's DCT drivetrain.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I'm not surprised regards the Sante Fe's sales numbers, Hyundai has increasingly had to spend more on incentives this year, it's a 5 yr old design and many competitors are offering new/refreshed models with more HP, better mpgs and handling.
The competition is using 8 and 9 speed transmissions and V6s or turbo 4s that provide more power and yield better mpgs.

Hyundai's main appeal is to the value orientated buyer , but IMO the Sante Fe line is now long in the tooth, dealers are offering a lot of low ball lease deals to try and move them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point. i have noticed huge discounts on all their cars even my Tucson. That is probably what helped keep Santa Fe's sales in the positive, though a meager increase. All the sedans took a big hit except Elantra.

Hyundai definitely does pack these cars with features at a value price, for example blind spot detection on my Tucson that some other vehicles keep in the premium packages. But all these incentives are probably killing the resale value in the end.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
To me it appears Hyundai has this strange fixation on proving at all costs that they can be a player in the luxury market with the likes of BMW Mercedes Audi and Lexus. The KIA K900 was a complete flop, so maybe some inter company rivalry with Hyundai wanting to show up KIA and that they can pull it off and are throwing major $$$ to do so.

I don't see them causing a major exodus from the European luxury models, instead reeling in some Acura Infiniti Cadillac and Volvo buyers.

They are spending heavily to market Genesis and the message of their b&W white commercials with a dude leaning sideways on his motorcycle is lost on me, but arguably better than the completely unsophisticated Sonata commercials of drivers pulling up at stoplights and gleefully chorusing a Neil Diamond tune and showing just how wonderful it is to be driving a Hyundai Sonata.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts