Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai, please put more of your resources into building a better car than spending them on commercials...

Now, let me guess, this thread will start flooding with replies from people claiming there are 0 problems with their cars and getting 40+ mpgs! 3,2,1... GO! B)

Car problems are surprisingly becoming more common, according to J.D. Power's latest dependability survey - Feb. 12, 2014

Vehicle dependability is a strong predictor of customer loyalty, J.D. Power said. Auto owners who experience no problems with their vehicles buy another from the same brand 56% of the time. Loyalty tumbles with even a slight increase in problems. Just 43% of owners who experience three or more problems return to the brand.
Lexus, Toyota (TM)'s luxury brand, was the most dependable, with 68 problems per 100 vehicles. Lexus performed far better than second-place Mercedes-Benz, whose owners reported 104 problems per 100 vehicles. Close behind were General Motors (GM, Fortune 500)' Cadillac luxury brand, Honda (HMC)'s Acura luxury brand and Buick, GM's near-luxury brand.
The most problematic brand was BMW's, Mini. According to the survey, Mini owners experienced 185 problems per 100 vehicles. The second-worst performer in the survey was Fiat Chrysler's Dodge brand with 181 problems per 100 vehicles. Land Rover, Fiat Chrysler's Jeep brand and Hyundai were the five worst-performing brands.
Survey results were based on responses from 41,000 owners of 2011 model-year vehicles. Last year, owners of 2010 model-year vehicles were surveyed.

First Published: February 12, 2014: 10:06 AM ET

·
Registered
157 Posts
The survey asks about all sorts of complaints, not just defects. The vehicle dependability survey pinpointed engines and transmissions as a big source of the problems, with four-cylinder engines being particularly problematic.
Most complaints about four-cylinder engines had to do with them being too noisy or having disappointing acceleration, not that they wouldn't run. The survey doesn't separate out those two sorts of issues.

Survey needs throwing in the trash.

"I bought a 4 Cylinder and it doesn't accelerate as well as my old V8"

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well i guess my mom got a lucky 2000 back in the days... cause i had her car for 10 years and was still going strong...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have to agree! Way too much money spent on advertising cars on TV. Each night we have 5 different auto makers advertising in a row during a commercial break for the news, that's why people have a DVR to skip commercials.

By the way, I have had a problem with my brakes pads needing greased so they will release when I release the brake to go. Had the same problem on my last vehicle, a Scion xB, thought it was the car, turns out just the design of the brake system.

Forgot, it's a 2013 Elantra with 7k miles at the time of the brake service.

·
Registered
61 Posts
JD Power Survey for 3 year old cars ( from 2011 )

Anyone else see the very disappointing article from JD Power about reliability for cars from the 2011 model year? Hyundai was almost at the bottom which really surprised me. I've had nothing but good luck regarding reliability with the other 2 Sonata's I've owned. I hope this was just a fluke for 2011 and that my 2013 GT will be rock solid.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Interesting, but it does seem the methodology is flawed. Is this really about dependability, or quality? These are 2 different things.

I had a 2011 Sonata. It was very dependable, but I did have more than a few issues in the first year or so. Most were minor glitches, rattles, etc. So, the car was dependable, but I will say the build quality of the early 2011 model year Sonatas left something to be desired.

Overall I was happy with my 2011 Sonata despite the issues. Now I have a 2013 Azera. This car has been just about flawless. The only actual warranty issue has been a rattle in the sunroof at about 10 months. It was easily fixed with a trip to the dealer.

·
22,788 Posts
Not going to waste my time reading the link. Just curious, however, was there any references of, " Poor paint quality...I don't like how the black paint shows dirt 5 minutes after I have washed it." That's the kind of stuff I'd expect some people to list. You can't please everyone.

My 2011 E was magnificent! And, for the most part, the 2013 has been, too. Couple of glitches. Nothing to write home to Korea about. All fixed. All satisfactory. All good. No one asked me. And that's okay, too. Happy Motoring, all.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
"Hyundai's goal is nothing short of quality leadership, and the report shows we have work to do," Hyundai said in a statement. "We'll learn from this study and are confident our dependability scores will be better in the future."

complaints vs problems not separated, so the survey is useless and erroneous and misleading.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Seems the switch from normally aspirated 6 and 8 cylinders to turbo 4s lead the decline:

For vehicles with 4-cylinder engines, problems increased by nearly 10 per 100 vehicles, partly a result of the shift by many manufacturers to build more cars with these smaller engines.

“If you spend your life driving a V6 or V8 and suddenly jump into a 4, it isn’t going to feel right,” Mr. Sargent said. “It feels different and it sounds different.” He said automakers’ efforts to improve fuel economy had resulted in negative customers’ perceptions of how their engines were working.

“A lot of the root cause is software,” Mr. Sargent added. “The engine and transmission are programmed to respond in a certain way to customer input. But it manifests itself as a mechanical problem.”

Owners, in turn, often complain that the engines hesitate or feel underpowered, and that the transmission shifts roughly or too quickly.

“Customers are saying, ‘We don’t like this,’ and they perceive it as a problem,” Mr. Sargent said.

So are these issues a matter of perception, or are they real problems?

“It’s both,” Mr. Sargent said. “They are all real problems: In the consumer’s mind, there is something wrong with the vehicle. Some of them are defects; others are characteristics of the vehicle that the customer doesn’t like. An engineer might argue it’s not a defect, it’s how it was designed. But the consumer is saying, ‘I don’t like the way you designed it, and that’s a problem for me.’ ”
I'd be curious to know if the problems with Hyundai were electronics and/or programming issues. And the paint.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A couple of things in regards to these surveys.

1. People who are satisfied with their vehicles tend to not respond to the surveys. People who have had a problem with either the vehicle or the dealership would be chomping at the bit to respond.

2. Some of these surveys are so badly written that a lot of people wouldn't really know what they are responding to.

3, Some of these surveys are SO long that by the time they get half way through the survey they really don't care any more.

Personally, I finally went to the GM of the dealership that sold me my Azera and told him that I would NOT be filling out any more surveys in regards to this car. The car is great, don't get me wrong, but the length of some of those surveys is crazy and I don't have time to sit down and devote 30-45 minutes to fill them out any longer....especially when a lot of the questions are repetitive.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
This should have been posted in the General Hyundai Non-Model Specific Discussion Forum since it's not related to any particular Elantra model. There is already a thread there about the JD Power survey.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This thread makes me laugh. If hyundai would of been on the top of the list this thread would of been totally different and nobody would of been crying foul play. Am i right? Think about it :rolleyes: We would all like hyundai to be the best but...

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well one year gone, two more to go... we'll see won't we? On a side note, I had a 2012 Mazda 3 come into my shop last year with under 7000kms... Brakes were noisy and suspension was already clunking. My car now has 22,000kms and 14 months old, all is good! I think the GT's are better built than the sedan counterparts. I have no real fact to base this on... Just feels like it to me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I tend to discount a lot of these surveys when they vary from definable 'problems per 100 cars' into 'perceptions'. J.D. Power is largely a marketing organization and you have to look at it from their perspective...which is to generate surveys that reflect something and that something can stray from empirical reality based on what they're trying to accomplish. I'm not particularly interested in what the "most appealing" car is in each class but J.D. Power will generate that survey every year and tell me that's supposedly something I should be interested in based on their criteria.

Having said that, I think some of their work is good but some of it is akin to fluff and I'm not really interested in burning a calorie to read their multiple survey reports. It appears a 'defect' can be portrayed as everything from a mechanical failure to just the inherent way the transmission shifts for example...if you go from a V8 into a I4 and complain about the power / response and that goes into the 'Problem" column then I can't help but feel it's fluff in terms of a reality that means anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I admit I've only been a Hyundai owner (or even ever drove a Hyundai) for no more than 3 months, but I think the JD Power survey is wrong. Hyundai should have been the absolute worst in reliability/dependability/quality, not simply in the bottom 5. Bought a 2014 Sonata 2.0T in November of last year, and the car is currently at the dealership getting its engine replaced. Car had a loud knock from day 1 when cold that turned out to be a cylinder failure. This should have been caught by the PDI that is to be performed to all vehicles before being sold to the general public. Obviously the "mechanic" who did the PDI on this car either ignored the very conspicuous noise, or decided that it was nothing to worry about (maybe he figured it was inline with Hyundai's expected quality). As soon as I heard the noise when i started up the car the morning after I bought it, I knew it was a serious engine problem, even though my local dealership tried to tell me the noise was generated by the GDI pump. So, after I dropped the car off for repairs (2 weeks ago and counting), i was given a 2013 Elantra with 8K miles on it. Car idled like a 20-year old school bus. I brought the car back and was given a 2012 Sonata 2.4L with 42K miles on it. Aside from occasionally feeling very abrupt loss of power during light to moderate acceleration (car would literally shudder from it), a couple of days ago the CEL came on. Hopefully the CEL is related to the problem I've experienced during acceleration, so that they can fix it. Other than that, my Hyundai experience so far has been flawless...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts