Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0t. Wanted to get the Hyundai Platinum 10 year/ 100,000 warranty. Dealer told me it cost $3,700 but would give it to me for $1,840 plus sales tax. In another area of this forum some members wrote about Burlington Hyundai and the business manager, Crystal Carreau. I called and got the plan for $1,298 with no sales tax.

[email protected]
802-660-8099 . x147

PS. Car is fantastic

PPS . IMO the only plan that is worthwhile is the Hyundai Plan. Third party guys come and go and it is always a hassle.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Plans are sold to dealerships like cars and the dealer can charge whatever they want for the plan, Some dealers choose to sell them in volume and discount them heavily. Other dealers try to make as much as possible on them. Good find!

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,691 Posts
I paid $1,650 for the Hyundai 10/120,000 warranty. Yes, 120,000.

My ‘12 Genesis is covered by Costguard 10/100,000. It’s already paid for itself. The car is over 7 years old.

Automotive

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Limited Hybrid
824 Posts
Hyundai Extended Warranty
Hyundai’s Protection Plan Vehicle Service Contract is extended coverage offered by Hyundai. The program offers 3 levels of coverage for up to 10 years/100,000 miles.

• Platinum: The Platinum plan is a bumper-to-bumper warranty that covers over 1,500 Hyundai parts. It's the most comprehensive coverage available from Hyundai.
  • Gold: This plan covers the powertrain and several additional component groups, such as the front and rear suspension, shocks, electrical system, fuel system, and climate control.
  • Powertrain: This plan covers the engine, transmission, and drive axle.
The Hyundai Platinum Extended Warranty covers the cost of repairs for the engine, drive axle, transmission, climate controls, shocks, fuel injectors, electronics, sensors, power seats, navigation, and audio.

Everything on the vehicle is covered except a few excluded wear items like body trim, windshield cracks, brake pads, manual clutches, and weather stripping.
In addition to component coverage, a Hyundai extended warranty includes 24/7 roadside assistance, towing, rental car reimbursement up to $35 a day for up to 10 days, and trip interruption coverage.

Hyundai offers two options of deductible copay: $0 and $100.

The deductible is the portion of future repairs the owner must pay. The $100 copay is offered to owners who want lower upfront cost.

However, the $0 option is a better value considering it costs $250 more to purchase and claims can be made without copayment. Even small items under $100 will be covered.

Hyundai's extended warranty plans are transferable, and you have the option of incorporating the additional price of the warranty into your auto financing. Though, keep in mind, that means you might be paying interest on your extended warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,463 Posts
Hyundai’s Protection Plan Vehicle Service Contract is extended coverage offered by Hyundai. The program offers 3 levels of coverage for up to 10 years/100,000 miles.

• Platinum: The Platinum plan is a bumper-to-bumper warranty that covers over 1,500 Hyundai parts. It's the most comprehensive coverage available from Hyundai.
  • Gold: This plan covers the powertrain and several additional component groups, such as the front and rear suspension, shocks, electrical system, fuel system, and climate control.
  • Powertrain: This plan covers the engine, transmission, and drive axle.
The Hyundai Platinum Extended Warranty covers the cost of repairs for the engine, drive axle, transmission, climate controls, shocks, fuel injectors, electronics, sensors, power seats, navigation, and audio.

Everything on the vehicle is covered except a few excluded wear items like body trim, windshield cracks, brake pads, manual clutches, and weather stripping.
In addition to component coverage, a Hyundai extended warranty includes 24/7 roadside assistance, towing, rental car reimbursement up to $35 a day for up to 10 days, and trip interruption coverage.

Hyundai offers two options of deductible copay: $0 and $100.

The deductible is the portion of future repairs the owner must pay. The $100 copay is offered to owners who want lower upfront cost.

However, the $0 option is a better value considering it costs $250 more to purchase and claims can be made without copayment. Even small items under $100 will be covered.

Hyundai's extended warranty plans are transferable, and you have the option of incorporating the additional price of the warranty into your auto financing. Though, keep in mind, that means you might be paying interest on your extended warranty.
Thx.
Yes, I also try to keep a vehicle at least 5 years before considering upgrading.

I think $1290 is a pretty good price.
When I had a Chrysler vehicle, I got the "lifetime warranty" for $1200 back when that was still offered.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
5 years is my limit for dependability.....
Those of us who keep vehicles longer and ALSO pass them on within our families love extended warranties. GIVING a warranty-covered vehicle to a family member can be a great joy.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
1,471 Posts
this is always the case, and what helps dealers sell so many extended warranties. buyer's don't generally write a check for them. They just hear the F&I sales person tell them it's only "$5 more per month" or something like that.

Don't forget Hyundai has a 10/100 powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The several extended auto warranties I’ve purchased have all “paid me back,” especially since I pass the vehicles on within my family.

As we all know, the Hyundai 10/100,000 powertrain warranty only applies to the first owner. I just gave my’12 Genesis to my son with a transferable extended warranty that runs till August ‘24. It covers much more than merely the powertrain and it has almost paid for itself already.

·
Registered
16 Mazda CX-5 GT. Korean CUV next?
92 Posts
The several extended auto warranties I’ve purchased have all “paid me back,” especially since I pass the vehicles on within my family.

As we all know, the Hyundai 10/100,000 powertrain warranty only applies to the first owner. I just gave my’12 Genesis to my son with a transferable extended warranty that runs till August ‘24. It covers much more than merely the powertrain and it has almost paid for itself already.
I’ve done well on the vehicle service warranties as well. Broke even on our 2008 RAV4 V6 extended to 7 years and got a 3:1 payback on my 2007 VW EOS extended to 10 years.

The RAV4 will be handed down to grandkids when I get my next CUV. Much as I loved my EOS retractable hardtop, I dared not keep it beyond the warranty due to likely maintenance costs and the need for an AWD with a bigger back seat. We live on the slopes of Green Mountain and I do a LOT of chauffeuring for my daughter’s 4 boys who live 2 blocks away. Weather is never an excuse for missing youth hockey unless they close the rink LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
92 Posts

… Hyundai offers two options of deductible copay: $0 and $100.

However, the $0 option is a better value considering it costs $250 more to purchase and claims can be made without copayment. Even small items under $100 will be covered…
The deductibles are not a good idea IMHO. Dealers will often charge you a $100 diagnostic charge and you will get clipped another $100 to do the repairs. Not worth a $250 savings on a 10 year plan.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I look at it in a different light on our vehicles. I look at it as a time value of money equation. For me, I have never had a vehicle have any major issues at less than 75,000 when properly maintained. To give a dealer say $1000 for several years (at 15K/yr, it takes me 5 yrs to get to that point), it seems a bit crazy. It can be in our bank/investments earning interest.

My previous Santa Fe's both went to around 160,000 miles (my 2009 was a beast). Neither had any major issues other than needing shocks, struts, and a minor leak on the head gasket. All of these were around 130,000 miles. All of these are over the 100,000 so I literally don't see the value of a 10/yr, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper. None of our vehicle have ever needed it. Rather not gamble and throw $1000 or more on a what if. Cars now a days are engineered to not need much service until after that. It is a great deal for the dealers!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I too had never bought or believed in extended warranty until I bought my 2017 CRV. There are so many computers and electronics that cost a fortune if you have to pay for them yourself. The Honda ext. warranty is one of the lowest cost I've seen compared to other manf. Make sure you get one from the manf. however and not one of those third party ones that the F&I people try to sell you. They are crap and overpriced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Extended warranties, protection plans, etc. are forms of risk transfer (like insurance). You may or may not need to call on it. If you don't, win for whomever you bought it from. If you do and get your money back, win for you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Extended warranties, protection plans, etc. are forms of risk transfer (like insurance). You may or may not need to call on it. If you don't, win for whomever you bought it from. If you do and get your money back, win for you.
Even if a win for them, you’ve had the peace of mind for insurance covering electronics that could cost $thousands.

Agree that mechanical components are much less of a worry these days. I usually get rid of cars at 10 year/100k mile point which is now the dividing line for reliability IMHO.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I buy the 120,000 mi warranty.

Did anybody ever pay to replace an AC compressor? I have and it wasn’t peanuts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I buy the 120,000 mi warranty.

Did anybody ever pay to replace an AC compressor? I have and it wasn’t peanuts.
At what mileage did the AC compressor go? Just curious. I have had several Santa Fe's, Honda's and Subaru's in our family (including one of each right now and 2 Hondas) and just have a hard time convincing myself that the extended warranty is worth it. On all previous vehicles (about 20 vehicles since 16yrs old, including my kids vehicles), I haven't seen anything other than routine maintenance that needed to be done until after 100K. Oil changes, tires, timing belts, brakes and suspension, and tune ups are normal maintenance. After 100,000+, in my opinion, is when the problems start to happen. To me, not worth the extra $$$. Over 20 vehicles, that would be enough money spent to fix a lot of issues if they were to crop up. Rather have the money in my bank account than in my dealers...

1 - 20 of 92 Posts