Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after changing the spark plugs to denso (double tip) tunning the carb change air filter etc there was a slight change in power but nothing to write about anyway wat are the step to getting my 1.3l engine up to a respectable level

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
To be honest, a carburetter-equipped 1.3 Accent is designed to be basic, budget family transport.

Apart from breathing improvements, like a cone air filter & a custom 2.25" dia. mandrel-bent cat.-back exhaust.......which will provide a little added zip & a better sound, there is very little else which can be done in a cost-effective manner.

Nick.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Originally posted by rae@Dec 31 2004, 10:03 PM
after changing the spark plugs to denso (double tip) ...
[snapback]4270[/snapback]​

Most other people have found that using the four point spark plugs give the best spark, and the best increase in performance - although it will only be a minor improvement.

Other than that I'd go with VALKYRIE's suggestions. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel injection version to my 1.3l has an added 12 hp and before we had fuel injection out power cars were carb so dont u guys think that a proper tunning of the carb could yeild better performance (plus what u guys sugessted) when i say performance i mean within my class
What u think a webber carb wouldnt help :(

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
A Weber carb. would slightly improve performance .....IF ONE COULD BE MADE TO FIT.......& it would need tuning be an expert in carbs..

Nick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys....

which 4-point as well as 2-point sparks (maker, model) would you suggest?
(possibly available in Europe? :thumbsup: )

Denso? Ngk? (what is the correct part number)?
...any other experinece, tip? (on sparks, of course)

:liebe011:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another good way to increase performance in a cost effective way is to lighten the car. Empty all of the junk out of the trunk. I'd ditch the spare, jack, and tools. When was the last time you needed them? Put them back if you take a long trip of course. Removing the A/C system is a biggie. There's at least 40 lbs. to be had there.

I'm not joking here. This stuff works. You've got to give up a little to get a little. Of course if the car is an automatic, it's probably not worth doing anything of these things. When you're dealing with very little power, a stick is the only way to go. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys Happy New to all it has been awhile but i am back as for my accent a few modifications a staken place
Eingine: stock filter has been replace with a free flow k&n (pod) air filter i manage to find one thar fits into the existing air box with the cover off (this sheilds off some of hot air from the exaust

Breather hose has been replaced with a breather filter (this is more cosmetic than performance)
Upgrade of spark plugs to ngk double platinum and performance spark plugs wires (blue in colour) Upraded coil
synthetic blend oil used
Timing advanced (slightly)
carb taken off and cleaned
momo sport steering equiped (i get such a better feel of the road i actually feel the road through my steering this gives me better judgement a high speed)believe me power steering does nothing for speed

Currently exhaust being delt with at machine shop (headers) with 2" stainless steel straight pipe from headers with 2.5" muffler interior of these pipe are to b polished for free flow of exhaust (should get some fire coming out huh)

presently i love my accent it is very peppy the only other 1300 that gives a fight now is the suzuki gti and turbo starlet and it is only because of the turbo
i only wish the distance between my gears were not so long

·
Registered
44 Posts
my accent has a 2.5 inch mandrel catback setup, a customized cosmo racing short ram intake, iridium spark plugs, short shifter, and mobil 1 full synthetic oil. my engine is a FI 1.5 though, soon to be a whole other engine.

sure, the car will sound wonderfully vroom'y, and maybe chirp 2nd if you're good at that kind of stuff :p

but speaking realistically...

want to make a hyundai accent a "respectable" car? save up a lot of money and:

buy a 97-99 tiburon beta engine, rebuild with turbo'ing in mind, turbo it

plain and simple. yet you'll be spending more than what the car's worth, unless you get the parts horribly cheap and can do it yourself...

but picture a hyundai accent stomping a honda civic? isnt that a lovely picture?

as for your carbed 1.3, enjoy it's gas mileage and its ability to get you where you need to go!

·
Registered
64 Posts
^ I'm with him . . . I've also got an accent . It's a 95 with 1.5 FI . K&N filter , quadrafire plugs . . It may have some other non-stock stuff , but I bought it used , so I'm not sure . It came with the plugs and some decent wheels /tires .

Anyways - you're really wasting your money if you spend more than a few hundred dollars on performance upgrades , as the lil 1.5 , or in your case , 1.3 will only put out so much power . I'm geussing these engines top out in the very low 100's as far as horsepower and torque are concerned .And that's after some serious upgrades .

Also - continuing where the other guy left off with the weight reduction . .. Some people like to call it "bucketing" when you pull off or cut out any unnecessary parts . Pull out the back seat , the door panels , head liner . Maybe even the passenger seat . I've even heard of some people cutting triangles of metal out of the frame. Of course , you must be very careful if your going to be cutting pieces out of the frame . You can replace your windows with plexi glass ( I think there's some automotive grade stuff out there ). Pull out the window cranks . Weight reduction is one of the best ways to get performance out of YOUR car , and it's either free or really cheap to do if you do it yourself .

If you really want a fast car , save your money . Buy a car that was designed for speed in the first place .Otherwise , you'll end up spending a lot of money for a little power .Upgrades that would cost nearly the same for a larger engine will produce much more significant results in said larger engine than they would in your engine .

·
Registered
44 Posts
after being off the forum for quite a while, i can tell you, the 2.0 motor swap is worth it, if you can find one at a junkyard, i bought a 64k motor/tranny for $450, out of a 1997 tiburon. you can pull waaay more than 100hp out of it, more like 200hp.

let's just say I can smoke a VTEC with no sweat... :banana:

oh yeah, if any of you plan on going this route, have fun with that chintzy ECU wiring!

and: yes, your 1g accent aint worth crap, you should ALL know this, but think about it, neither are early '90s civics either. they mod the heck out of those, given we dont have nearly as many aftermarket mods for our cars, all it takes is some creativity! i do know a guy pulling 180hp outta the alpha... BTW

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello need help on car parts please

i got hyundai 1300 accent xs model 97. i need carburetor and gasket for the car. dont get it anywhere. so can someone please help me out!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts