Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

Woke up in northwest Wisconsin to a nice coating of ice this morning, as of this writing about an 1/8" or so and it is still coming down. Took the car out to see how it handles it (last weekend was a major Slush challenge which it passed with flying colors) and found it to quite adept at dealing with the situation.

While it was obvious I was on a skating rink, the traction control did it's job very well and the anti-lock system worked very well also. Obviously it isn't like driving on pavement, but considering we couldn't hardly stand up on the pavement, I am VERY pleased with the performance. I never felt like I was out of control at all.

So far, I guess I would have to say this is one of the best cars I have driven in inclement weather ( baring any four-wheel drive vehicle, of which we have and have had several).

Just one persons opinion. Have a GREAT Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
How far northwest are you? I was just up in Hayward for a pool tournament a couple weeks ago. I have been all over up there over the years!! Bayfield,Ashland,Cornucopia (Wi northern most post office...) I'm from Appleton area by the way.

I am glad to hear that it seems like it will do well in the crappy weather that is on the way!! I was a little nervous with the 18" wheels on the SE....

Take care!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
...Would y'all consider using winter tires as well or do them stock all-seasons work fine??? I'm from Chicago and was considering puttin on winter tires on my GLS. I was told to save my money and just use the all-seasons that the GLS came with. I was on you-tube and saw a comparison test between winter tires and all-season tires with the winter tires showing the an obvious advantage in traction on snow and ice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd imagine you must be from around Superior then? I'm from about 30 minutes south of Ashland, but going to school in Eau Claire currently.

I was wondering how mine would handle in the poor weather of WI winters. Good to hear from someone that knows how bad it can get that the car's doing good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE (Johnzz1420 @ Nov 21 2010, 12:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373561
...Would y'all consider using winter tires as well or do them stock all-seasons work fine??? I'm from Chicago and was considering puttin on winter tires on my GLS. I was told to save my money and just use the all-seasons that the GLS came with. I was on you-tube and saw a comparison test between winter tires and all-season tires with the winter tires showing the an obvious advantage in traction on snow and ice.
I wondering this too... I traded an 06 civic in for my 2.0t Limited and still have the 16" snow tires I used for that one. I'm kinda playing the waiting game to see how this thing handles in the snow (and also wonder if the tires that come on the 2.0t's are worse in the snow).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in Chetek, just south of Rice Lake and about 40 miles north of Eau Claire. I am just leaving the stock tires that I got with it on mine (it's a GLS) at least until they wear out and get replaced. Maybe then I will look at something different but so far so good.

Last weekend we had like 3 to 4" of slush on the road and it went right through it. It didn't seem to get moved around as much as some cars I've had in the past. Obviously you can't do a hundred miles an hour in that crap, but I never felt like I wasn't going to get where I was going.

Only thing left to experience is a good Wisconsin blizzard and a pile of drifty snow. Can't wait (sarcasm :whistling: )

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bayfield,Ashland,Cornucopia (Wi northern most post office...) I'm from Appleton area by the way.

Me too. Now in Florida after 25 years in San Diego. But I stlill miss the cold and snow..........NOT!

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (illby1 @ Nov 21 2010, 12:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373557
How far northwest are you? I was just up in Hayward for a pool tournament a couple weeks ago. I have been all over up there over the years!! Bayfield,Ashland,Cornucopia (Wi northern most post office...) I'm from Appleton area by the way.

I am glad to hear that it seems like it will do well in the crappy weather that is on the way!! I was a little nervous with the 18" wheels on the SE....

Take care!!
If you are from Appleton Wisconsin you must be a Steeler's Fan :bwekk:

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (cowpiezzzz @ Nov 21 2010, 01:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373579
I'm in Chetek, just south of Rice Lake and about 40 miles north of Eau Claire. I am just leaving the stock tires that I got with it on mine (it's a GLS) at least until they wear out and get replaced. Maybe then I will look at something different but so far so good.

Last weekend we had like 3 to 4" of slush on the road and it went right through it. It didn't seem to get moved around as much as some cars I've had in the past. Obviously you can't do a hundred miles an hour in that crap, but I never felt like I wasn't going to get where I was going.

Only thing left to experience is a good Wisconsin blizzard and a pile of drifty snow. Can't wait (sarcasm :whistling: )
Yea, the more I think about it, I might stick it out with the all-seasons fer the winter. Front wheel drive should hopefully get me through the tough stuff anywayz.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I get to try mine out tomorrow! There should be a good inch or two of fresh snow tomorrow morning. I drove on slush/light snow this morning on my BFG all seasons, and they did pretty well. Felt rock solid on takeoff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How is the heat output in cold weather? Does it warm up fast ?

QUOTE (cowpiezzzz @ Nov 21 2010, 11:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373544
Good morning,

Woke up in northwest Wisconsin to a nice coating of ice this morning, as of this writing about an 1/8" or so and it is still coming down. Took the car out to see how it handles it (last weekend was a major Slush challenge which it passed with flying colors) and found it to quite adept at dealing with the situation.

While it was obvious I was on a skating rink, the traction control did it's job very well and the anti-lock system worked very well also. Obviously it isn't like driving on pavement, but considering we couldn't hardly stand up on the pavement, I am VERY pleased with the performance. I never felt like I was out of control at all.

So far, I guess I would have to say this is one of the best cars I have driven in inclement weather ( baring any four-wheel drive vehicle, of which we have and have had several).

Just one persons opinion. Have a GREAT Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
QUOTE (Johnzz1420 @ Nov 21 2010, 10:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373704
Yea, the more I think about it, I might stick it out with the all-seasons fer the winter. Front wheel drive should hopefully get me through the tough stuff anywayz.
Winter tires on any car (RWD, FWD, AWD) make a REAL difference in snow, ice, etc. FWD is certainly better than most RWD cars but the bottom line is traction is really dependent on the tread compound, tread design and tread depth. All-season tires might be ok in light weather conditions but, for the "tough stuff", winter tires that are designed for max traction in freezing temps are well worth their price. One minor fender bender or getting stuck will probably pay for the winter tires.
I drove my SE on some partially cleared winter roads last February and I'm not too sure I'd trust the OE performance tires on snowy or icey roads. When the weather in my area gets bad, I'll use my Subie with Blizzaks and save the SE for cleared roads.

Don

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (DonRich90 @ Nov 22 2010, 10:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373981
Winter tires on any car (RWD, FWD, AWD) make a REAL difference in snow, ice, etc. FWD is certainly better than most RWD cars but the bottom line is traction is really dependent on the tread compound, tread design and tread depth. All-season tires might be ok in light weather conditions but, for the "tough stuff", winter tires that are designed for max traction in freezing temps are well worth their price. One minor fender bender or getting stuck will probably pay for the winter tires.
I drove my SE on some partially cleared winter roads last February and I'm not too sure I'd trust the OE performance tires on snowy or icey roads. When the weather in my area gets bad, I'll use my Subie with Blizzaks and save the SE for cleared roads.

Don
...Very good point! still contimplating. I stopped by Just Tires today and gotta winter tire quote for 4 Dunlop Graspics. My OE all-season size is 205/65/16 any way I could go up to the 215/60/16 for my winter tires without any problems???

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (Johnzz1420 @ Nov 23 2010, 01:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374035
...Very good point! still contimplating. I stopped by Just Tires today and gotta winter tire quote for 4 Dunlop Graspics. My OE all-season size is 205/65/16 any way I could go up to the 215/60/16 for my winter tires without any problems???

Youd be better off going with the narrowest tire that will fit. You want to cut through the snow/ice/slush, not ride on top of it. This is why you see rally cars with "pizza cutter" tires when they are in the snow or ice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Youd be better off going with the narrowest tire that will fit. You want to cut through the snow/ice/slush, not ride on top of it. This is why you see rally cars with "pizza cutter" tires when they are in the snow or ice.
Go with the smaller/narrower tire!!! ....Thanks bro!!!! :liebe011:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts