Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I want to change oil on my 2012 Elantra. I bought a Hyundai oil filter (26300 - 35503 ) from the Hyundai dealer. When I started to research the filter, I noticed other places include a metal crush washer with the filter -- the filter I bought, which was new and sealed in the box, does not have the crush washer. Do I need the metal crush washer? :confused:

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
You are technically supposed to replace the crush washer every time you change the oil but most oil change places never really do this. I changed mine the first time I did mine but the second time I didn't and no leaks. You can buy crush washers from any parts store here is the dorman part number Dorman Products - 095-147

·
Registered
421 Posts
They should have sold you a crush washer too. Like someguy stated, the washer should be replaced with each oil change so that there isn't the risk of any leaks. If you haven't done so already, I strongly recommend you get the washer before changing the oil.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Not to insult your intelligence, but check the box carefully. Dealers sometimes scotch-tape the washer to the outside of the box, or slip it inside through a crack. Or at least they should.

To answer your question, reusing the old washer probably has a 90% chance of success. I've gotten away with it a couple of times on my Hondas many years ago. The problem, of course, is that you'll really be cursing your luck if it leaks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my feeble mind, I don't think it is going to leak without the washer, I think it won't seal the outside of the threaded bolt, thereby allowing bypass of unfiltered oil into the filtered oil... kind of like a hole in the heart allowing flow between the ventricles... (sorry, I'm an old EMT). Anyway, YES I will go back to the dealer and inquire about the crush washer. And Don67, no insult taken... I did exactly that when I got the filter, because I saw on Ebay that the crush washer was included with the filter I was looking at, so then I decided to ask here. Thanks for your help guys. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
When I bought my first filter from a dealer, they gave me a new washer. I watched him slip it in the box. When I changed the oil several weeks later the washer was no where to be found. Oh well!! I just reused the original one and no leaks. I've been doing this oil change myself routine for over 50 years now and have never had a drain plug come out. Had some that the edges of the hex stripped so they were very difficult to remove (buy a new one immediately!!).

Walt

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
In my feeble mind, I don't think it is going to leak without the washer, I think it won't seal the outside of the threaded bolt, thereby allowing bypass of unfiltered oil into the filtered oil... kind of like a hole in the heart allowing flow between the ventricles... (sorry, I'm an old EMT). Anyway, YES I will go back to the dealer and inquire about the crush washer. And Don67, no insult taken... I did exactly that when I got the filter, because I saw on Ebay that the crush washer was included with the filter I was looking at, so then I decided to ask here. Thanks for your help guys. :)
I also don't think it will leak

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope you guys are ready for a good laugh... I'm laughing at myself... I called the Hyundai dealer and asked about the crush washer... (I'm still chuckling at myself).. The crush washer is for the oil pan drain bolt... NOT for the oil filter bolt... good grief!! OK, OK, I get it now :eek:! I feel so dumb... I have way TOO much Norweigan in me... LOL. Don67 was RIGHT! LOL.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I had no idea what you were talking about but I don't think the drain bolt will leak even with no crush washer.
I thought the washer was to slip OVER the threaded oil filter bolt.. the one coming out of the engine block to spin the filter on to... I thought THAT needed the crush washer to not leak between the filtered oil and unfiltered oil. I knew the rubber seal was going to keep it all in, but... I think WAY too hard sometimes... LOL.

Thank you though!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ha Ha! Don't feel too bad. We all have dumb moments. I changed my wife's oil on her new Elantra for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My Sonata change went without a hitch but after I got the original oil filter off of hers I wasn't paying attention (remember this part as it comes back to bite me) and popped on the new OEM filter. Everything is nice and snug and I refill the oil. I start up her car and I hear a "PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" and then I see oil shooting out all over my garage floor.

I see it is coming from the filter. After draining the brand new oil and taking off the filter I discovered that the rubber seal from the original filter was still on there. It had seized to the metal because of how freakin' tight they put those things on. Needless to say...in my 20 years of changing oil...I will now remember to double check that the rubber seal comes off with the old filters.

It took me hours and a ton of kitty litter to clean that mess up. Luckily I have the Rustoleum garage floor protector so it didn't seep in.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
Ha Ha! Don't feel too bad. We all have dumb moments. I changed my wife's oil on her new Elantra for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My Sonata change went without a hitch but after I got the original oil filter off of hers I wasn't paying attention (remember this part as it comes back to bite me) and popped on the new OEM filter. Everything is nice and snug and I refill the oil. I start up her car and I hear a "PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" and then I see oil shooting out all over my garage floor.

I see it is coming from the filter. After draining the brand new oil and taking off the filter I discovered that the rubber seal from the original filter was still on there. It had seized to the metal because of how freakin' tight they put those things on. Needless to say...in my 20 years of changing oil...I will now remember to double check that the rubber seal comes off with the old filters.

It took me hours and a ton of kitty litter to clean that mess up. Luckily I have the Rustoleum garage floor protector so it didn't seep in.
Ha yeah I think I had to pop that filter gasket ring off with a flathead screwdriver the first time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Another good reason to change your on oil! It's ok to make a minor mistake....you will never do it again. Ain't so all the time with some of the questionable techniques you run across in oil change places.

Walt

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
My biggest oil-change goof was buying a cheap extraction pump in the belief that it would save time and keep me clean. Naturally on first use the tube popped off the pump, squirting a jet of dirty black oil across my pant leg and up the garage wall. Then the uptake tube wouldn't come out of the engine... it was stuck somewhere deep down inside the crankcase. Talk about panic.

I went back to the old-fashioned method, and kept that piece-of-crap gadget as a reminder that somebody is always after my money.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My biggest oil-change goof was buying a cheap extraction pump in the belief that it would save time and keep me clean. Naturally on first use the tube popped off the pump, squirting a jet of dirty black oil across my pant leg and up the garage wall. Then the uptake tube wouldn't come out of the engine... it was stuck somewhere deep down inside the crankcase. Talk about panic.

I went back to the old-fashioned method, and kept that piece-of-crap gadget as a reminder that somebody is always after my money.

Ha, the extraction pump works great on lawn mowers. Man that would freak me out. How did you get the tube out?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts