Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the dealer called me today and said Hyundai has issued a stop sale for all 2.0T's. He didn't have all the details but the field rep told him they were inspecting/replacing an oil return line from the turbo.

He wasn't sure if it was a safety or durability issue but he's gonna let me know when they know more. In the mean time, they are going to pick up the car and bring me something else to drive. (they offered a jetta and I declined, lol)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was at the dealer today and asked about the turbo.
They said they had 3 in stock, but aren't allowed to sell them.
It is never a good idea to be one of the first to buy a new model, until they get some of the kinks out.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Oct 26 2010, 07:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366551
I was at the dealer today and asked about the turbo.
They said they had 3 in stock, but aren't allowed to sell them.
It is never a good idea to be one of the first to buy a new model, until they get some of the kinks out.

Service bulletin for replacement of oil feed pipe to turbo,,,, Not numbered out to be recall. Usually they stop sale with recall until in-stock units repaired, then they can be sold per Hyundai rules.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ahh bummer! Hope this doesn't add too much time to my wait. I have a white limited 2.0t on hold for me at my local dealer. The car is slated to arrive within the next week or two. They haven't called me to tell me about the stop sale yet. Hopefully its a quick fix.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer told me parts were supposed to be in today. I'm gonna take a pic of the part being replaced beside the new one. They said it was quoted as a 1 hr job (which likely means 15-20 minutes).

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (watchdoc @ Oct 27 2010, 11:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366695
Dealer told me parts were supposed to be in today. I'm gonna take a pic of the part being replaced beside the new one. They said it was quoted as a 1 hr job (which likely means 15-20 minutes).
Hyundai pay time is 1/2 hr.. took other tech that just to get at it and remove it... GUESS WHAT!!!! HYUNDAI DID NOT put new gasket in the bag withthe pipe. nor send any out with the pipe...

Read step 14 of the instructions - "inspect gasket" if good reuse, "IF NO GOOD REPLACE"...... Come on,,,, replace the stupid expendible part.

Tech got pipe out, gasket is glued to the flange on end of tube.. tried to shave it off, left 1/2 the gasket on the flange... I did not bother to touch the car I had, we went to parts and told parts guy to get us gaskets for each pipe we have to do...

How long will we need to wait for the gasket that should have been in the bag with the pipe in the first place ??

Hyundai at its' finest, we'll sell you a water pump, but not put the gasket or other misc in the box as a kit, got buy it all single.... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !! :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sonata 2.0T models are shipping and selling now. Hyundai dealers are replacing a small hose that was built with the wrong rubber specification on the first production units…this 30-minute fix has been completed at most dealers.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
QUOTE (Hyundai Motor America @ Oct 27 2010, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366743
Sonata 2.0T models are shipping and selling now. Hyundai dealers are replacing a small hose that was built with the wrong rubber specification on the first production units…this 30-minute fix has been completed at most dealers.

wait are you a representative of Hyundai?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, apparently, the axle has to be removed to get to the part. I asked my dealer to "practice" on their stock vehicles before doing mine.

He did say the gasket was part of the "kit" although it wasn't in the same bag with the pipe. I instructed them to install a NEW gasket regardless of the condition of the original.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (watchdoc @ Oct 27 2010, 03:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366755
Yeah, apparently, the axle has to be removed to get to the part. I asked my dealer to "practice" on their stock vehicles before doing mine.
Axle does not need to be removed, just a bunch of plastic panels under the car to open it up to reach up in and get at 2 nuts that hold flange on end of pipe to block near water pump

He did say the gasket was part of the "kit" although it wasn't in the same bag with the pipe. I instructed them to install a NEW gasket regardless of the condition of the original.
Gasket IS NOT part of the kit.... All we got was a bag with a pipe in it... NO GASKET, NO NEW copper rings for the banjo fitting at the turbo' bearing housing... You would think with an extremely critical lubrication item that HYUNDAI would put the pipe and gaskets/rings in the bag for same day service.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SBR, thanks for the corrections. I am only going on what the service writer was able to tell me. Having first hand knowledge from a technician is considerably better.

I plan on being there while they do the job but can you advice me what is likely to get broken during the job? I know these plastic panels are often held on with clips that don't like being removed. A couple broken clips leads to an odd noise etc that is hard to track down.

Dan, can you shed some light on the issue here? Was this a safety or reliability issue? They actually towed my car in rather than have me drive it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (watchdoc @ Oct 27 2010, 08:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366812
SBR, thanks for the corrections. I am only going on what the service writer was able to tell me. Having first hand knowledge from a technician is considerably better.
Aisle guys dont know anything, they just good at making up story as they go.

I plan on being there while they do the job but can you advice me what is likely to get broken during the job? I know these plastic panels are often held on with clips that don't like being removed. A couple broken clips leads to an odd noise etc that is hard to track down.
As noted before, other tech had his apart before I brought mine in, so I went and visual what was going on under the car.. I know the 3 under panel need to come off, but I do not know what holds them yet,,, as he found the gasket issue after he got his pipe out, so I did not even bother to bring mine into shop, I will replace mine along with gasket the first time and be done with it, not take the pipe out and attempt to salvage a simple fiber gasket.

Dan, can you shed some light on the issue here?
I beleive he said wrong grade of rubber used in the making of the pressure line (the pipe is steel on both end, but there is approx 2 1/2" of rubber just off the flange where assembly bolts to block)... the new pipe also has a heat reflective sleeve/tube over the rubber portion,, likely to keep radiant heat from exhaust right there from prematurely baking the rubber hose portion.. remember this pipe will have hot motor oil under pressure flowing through it to the bearing housing on the turbo.

Was this a safety or reliability issue?
Could be safety issue if the line were to pin hole or burst, spray hot oil onto exhaust and flash fire, or reliability due to oil leak and ruin engine if not caught in timely fashion.

They actually towed my car in rather than have me drive it.
Overkill, but they likely did not want to inconvienience you with it being less than a week and you having to return to dealer for service visit so soon..

If I get mine going, I'll try to get some pics of what is going on, I know some want to see the turbo.. the pics I took last week were looking in with all the panels in place,,,, with them removed, it is more open to see.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm assuming this has been corrected on the production line. Any idea what the earliest build date would be with this corrected from the factory? I know someone mentioned this, but where can I find the build date on the Sonata?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (matt317 @ Oct 28 2010, 01:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366990
I know someone mentioned this, but where can I find the build date on the Sonata?
It is on the manufacture sticker in the door jamb, same as most any other car over the last 20+yr now. Big label with manufacturer name, VIN, paint, trim, trans, axle codes, build date.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, did my oil pipe today, took wee bit over an hr, and I did not remove all the panels as called out, not needed. Not difficult, just time consuming trying to get at the flange to block bolt, then setting banjo on bearing housing to get bolt back in.. installing the nuts to the flange at block is real fun with the added tube over the new pipe. Had to bend the steel tube slightly to get clearance for socket to pass onto the nuts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts