Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anyone else have engine issues with this car? We had purchased it new with under 15 miles on it from Hyundai.

They talked us into getting this one instead of the turbo 1.6 we wanted, then sold this one to us.

It started at around 3-4k miles when i heard engine noises start on the car. Really loud, sounded like i had a V6/V8 loud.

I told the dealership that we hadn’t gotten the oil change yet and i heard noises from the engine at 4k miles onward. They said thats normal.

They say that the oil was 1qt low, but nothing to worry about when it was at 6k miles and time to get oil changed at their dealership. Next time it would be due is 13-14k miles. At around 11k miles it gets a recall for the issue of some computer issue. I took it in bc it had stalled 2x on me during driving and then had engine light on and I was wondering if that was due to the recall. They said nothing wrong with it, just needed updates on software.

I then take it to the dealership at 13.5k miles and let them know the noise is sounding louder and doesnt sound right at all and that it stalled a few times, they said it sounds perfectly okay and proceeded to change the oil and said that it was 2qt low. I told them shouldn’t the oil light come on, they said yes it should if it needs oil.

They said that its perfectly safe and no issues. I drive it till 17k miles and then it stalls when coming to a light luckily. I call them and they say its nothing. It starts to do it a few more times by 19k miles and then i contact a different dealership(the one we originally purchased it at) and they ask if the engine light on, but it was not on, so they scheduled a time for me to bring it in for them to check as the oil change was coming up at 21.5-22k miles.
I take it in to them the next day as this dealership was about 180miles from the regular one nearby.

While taking it down it stalled 5-6x and 3x on the freeway, had to pull over and restart engine. By the time i get there, i tell them that the car stalled multiple times. At the end of day they called and said the engine was bone dry.
No oil light, no engine light, no warning signs, nothing, the oil had leaked into other parts of the engine due to the piston rings? And that we were lucky we made it there safely. They said the engine would need to be replaced, and had to get it approved from Hyundai. 3 weeks go by without a car and finally i get the car back.

The car is currently at 21k miles and has had a few issues since the engine changed, one was with the locks not working and locked us out of the car, luckily girlfriend was in car and manually unlocked it as the car would not open any other way(keyless entry/pushstart).

Another time so far was 1 stall when coming to a light. We have had this car now 2yrs this month.

Anyone else having these type of issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya at least the dealership said its a brand new engine, not refurbished/rebuilt. I am wondering thou if it affected anything else when the engine went out due to being faulty. Bc i noticed that the computer isnt allowing me to use certain functions anymore with the side collision and front collision.

Not sure if it just needs an update or if its something more. Also the locking of the car and not being able to get it to open and get into car was a pretty big issue we had one time so far.

Hasnt happened since, so heres to no more issues as i barely drive it besides highway miles due to working from home and just going out of town for my doctor surgeries and such.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your 2020 kona an SE/SEL/SEL Plus model? I know those are the ones having the issues. Sadly we got talked into not getting the green limited/ultimate models and should not have taken it, but sadly we did. As those models are not having many issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts