Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. This is my first post in this fine forum. I just recently purchased a 2016 Elantra SE with the Popluar Equipment Package. The radio is the one with the touchscreen, but not the Sat Nav. My quick question is in regards to Hyundai's iPod cable. I use a 240GB 5th generation iPod and plugged in with just a 30 pin/USB iPod cable I get all the iPod functionality on the head unit, and I can control it through the steering wheel controls.

Reading through the forum, and elsewhere, I noticed a specific Hyundai iPod cable that some people use that is 30pin on one end and USB and mini stereo on on the other end. What is the purpose of this cable? Was it needed on older Hyundais?

The only issue I have using my iPod with my new Elantra is that once the iPod goes to sleep, say after me being out of the car for a while, the iPod needs to be awakened before the radio recognizes it again. I was hoping I could simply just connect the iPod and never have to mess with it, besides updating the music.

Any input on these two things would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The older Hyundai cars needed the Hyundai specific cable, I'm not sure when that problem went away. I have a 2013 Sonata and it works with the 30 pin/USB Plug.

I use a Nano in my car and it wakes up when ever the car starts so I'm not sure about your problem. I have an older 100GB iPod, I may have to give it a test run and see if I have the same problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The older Hyundai cars needed the Hyundai specific cable, I'm not sure when that problem went away. I have a 2013 Sonata and it works with the 30 pin/USB Plug.
The more I think about the more I'm thinking that if its an older iPod, at least with my 5th generation iPod, it likely needs that Hyundai iPod cable. The reason why i say that is because in my 2007 Elantra I used a Belkin iPod adapter which was a 12 volt charger that had a mini stereo cable that plugged into the auxiliary input in the car. That adapter would wake my iPod up every time. So I'm thinking that that specific Hyundai iPod cable is maybe using the aux in to wake up the older iPods and the digital audio and charging commences as usual through the USB portion.

Then again, that old Belikin adapter is probably waking up the older iPod simply from getting power from the 12 volt charger portion. Well, so much for that theory. I'll still look into using that Hyundai cable. Maybe find a used one on eBay to try, in case I don't find someone that knows if it is need or not.

use a Nano in my car and it wakes up when ever the car starts so I'm not sure about your problem. I have an older 100GB iPod, I may have to give it a test run and see if I have the same problem.
That would be great if you could post your result. Thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts