Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I'm from South Africa....& u should c how the Hyundai's sell here.
A Coupe/Tiburon will be on the display floor for a maximum of a month then it will
bee sold to very lucky person.
I don't know how the selling figures outside Sout Africa is, but if u take all the models together, Hyundai sells about +- 1500 to 2000+ units a month.

Hyundai is like a passion to me. (My Dad is South Africa's Training Manager, so I know a **** of a lot about Hyundai).
I would like to have a customised Hyundai Tiburon FX.

Currently we've drive a 1995 Accent & my Dad's got the 2004 Elantra GLS.
We're starting to think that the Elantra is posessed. It is still stock but gives BMW 325i's headaches, cause they can't get away from us.

People are blown out of their minds because of the acceleration, top speed and top end the car posesses. They think the car is Turboed.....I already clocked the Tiburon '04 and the Elantra '04.

(I might be going to the U.S. next year to work and need to know if a Hyundai is expensive there, and you guys got the most potent customizations i have ever seen. In SA you either have to be VERY rich to be able to customise cars like u guys do, or have our own shop and use your own car as a guine pig)

PS: Would love to take a Scoupe with the factory fitted turbo for a spin. It's just so hard to find here because there was only a few hundred brought into SA. Those who has got the turboed version don't even wanna sell it.

Please mail me and tell me how Hyundai outside SA is keeping up....
I would love to hear what other Hyundai enthusiasts have to say.

Kind Regards
Eric Munroe (20 yrs old)
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi Eric, and welcome to the forum. :)
Where in SA are you located ??
What type of gasoline are you using (leaded or unleaded), and what octane ??

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
PS: Would love to take a Scoupe with the factory fitted turbo for a spin. It's just so hard to find here because there was only a few hundred brought into SA. Those who has got the turboed version don't even wanna sell it.

Too right Eric!!......the S-Coupe Turbo is a great car & VERY tuneable as Hyundai were very nervous about producing it, which made them extremely cautious & conservative in it`s design!.

I`m currently running around 180 b.h.p. : there`s some extra pics. here :-
My Webpage

Cheers,
Nick. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Eric, I to am from South Africa and have just purchased a 2005 Elantra (Petrol)
and have to ask you "WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?" Gives BMW 325i's headaches??? You got to be kidding me. I find the Elantra to be a very nice car except for its sluggishness off the line. By the time you get going the BMW will be long gone. I have another car, a 91' Honda 160i 16v (Same front as the CRX) which runs circles
around all models of Elantra from pull away to top end. And yet my Honda struggles to stay with the 325i's. So this elantra of your dads must really be something special.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hi Eric & welcome!.

I wish I had shares in Hyundai.......the company is really going places!.
Their latest engines (Theta [4 & Lambda V6) will have a 300,000 mile design life before stripdown & the Theta has already been licenced to Daimler Chrysler & Mitsubishi for use in their own cars & netting Hyundai £50 million per year in licence-fees!.

You are quite correct about the S-Coupe Turbo.......I have owned one for 6 years & will never part with her!.

Cheers,
Nick. :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
mkw, what engine is in your car????
BTW, only fill with UNLEADED petrol, and no sasol. leaded petrol gumms your engine and in time burns valves.

Also, were do you SA guys live ????????????????????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Duke

I live in Cape Town my 2005 Elantra has a 1.6 16v DOHC motor in it.
I cant understant the low kw output it has for this kind of motor. Has it been detuned by the agents?

Mike

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I don't think so. How much KW has it ?? Here in Canada, the Elantra has a 2.0ltr engine with CVVT. In north America, has the Accent has the 1.6 DOHC engine.
Remember, use only unleaded gasoline/petrol, 97 or so octane is just fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It has 79 kw, my 91' Honda which is also a 1.6 16v but only a SOHC pushes 87 kw.
I use 95 Unleaded octane.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
WOW, I just looked at the HD-SA site, and I am surprised to see so many standard features. This is better then our GLS version. How many “R” did you have to put down for it ??

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
WOHAAA , for that money you buy a fully loaded Sonata GLS here in Canada, with 2.7ltr V6 engine. :blush:

·
Registered
23 Posts
HOWZIT ? from the West Indies. I read your message with interest, I used to live in SA and have great memories of the SA motor industry, in particular the variations produced for your market - i.e. Austin Apache, 3 litre Ford V6 powered VW Combi, and so on .

You may be a little too young to remember them, but I am sure your dad does !

What I am specifically asking is does he know of, or have ANY info on the 73 SUNBEAM TIGERS that were build as CKD at Stanley Motors In Alberton, Transvaal? Yes, I know, Boasteng now.... This is a very interesting story, I traced quite a few of them when I was there, but could not get much detail, you may find the car VERY interesting - A FORD V8 in a small british sports car, 289 cu in usually. Do you know ANYONE with one, or have you seen any at shows ?

I would be very happy to hear from you or your Dad who may remember them, cheers & tot siens meneer ! LOVEJOY

·
Registered
386 Posts
As driven by Agent 86, Maxwell Smart...

I have a short video of Tigers racing at Le Mans years ago.

I know that racing versions of the 289 could put out 400+ hp with thanks to Carroll Shelby's work with Ford, so the Tigers must have gone like stink.

Happy hunting.

Andrew :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts