Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.I have recently had a number of issues with my I20 Classic with 43,000 miles on the clock. First problem was that it was failing emmisions tests on the MOT. This was down to the Catalytic converter, so was replaced. All seemed ok for a short while, but then, after a service, oil and filter change it began blowing the seal out of the oil filter. This was replaced and topped up 4 or 5 times, but kept doing it. Two mechanics have looked at it but could not figure out why it was doing this. After looking on various forums I discovered that the camshaft oil phase solenoids supply oil to the inlet and exhaust camshafts. As the nipple in the oil filter centre port is 20mm, I removed the filter and fitted a 20mm pic conduit coupler and a length of conduit into the coupler, then blew up it to see if there were any restrictions. There seemed to be a fair bit of resistance, so I unscrewed the inlet camshaft phase solenoid out, then blew up it again. This time there was hardly any resistance to it. I then refitted the oil filter, topped up the oil, then got someone to start the car in short bursts whilst covering the hole where the solenoid should be with my thumb and an oily rag. The vehicle was running ok and the filter seal was not blowing off any more. Then I noticed that when the engine was running the camshaft solenoid was not operating, however, once the ignition was turned off, the solenoid moved back and forth for about 2-3 seconds then stopped. So it would appear that this is an electronic/ software issue as these 2 solenoids are not operating whilst the engine is running so clearly building up back pressure to the oil filter discharge port and taking the weakest thing out, being the oil filter rubber seal ring. Anybody got any idea's what should cause this?...Dealerships or the manufacturers won't offer any help as they want you to spend loads of cash with them. Any suggestions appreciated, Regards.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts