1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
X

·
0 Posts
Diesels are an excellent choice and highly efficient but there's always the trade off. Be it in extra maintenance, the use of DEF, higher fuel costs, shorter service intervals, etc.. I do believe that they are planning to release a new diesel system that doesnt require the DEF and can still achieve the EPA requirements.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am always leary of folks who brag about 40-50 mpg in a diesel. Yes, you can do it. But is it really more economical? Most diesel engines cost more than the comparable gasoline engine. Plus, at least in the US, diesel is taxed more heavily than gasoline, making the price at the pump more expensive.

Admittedly, it wouldn't take much to determine if the improved fuel economy would offset the extra costs, and I haven't done the math. But I never accept the "great fuel economy" argument at first pass.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The only way i can give the finger to the oil companies at the moment is with this hybrid and i am happy so far. Despite how expensive the Tesla is, it is such an incredibly cool vehicle and its the future. Every month I see more and more of these driving around Chicago. Once the electric cars are cheaper and more reliable it will totally be the way to go.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am always leary of folks who brag about 40-50 mpg in a diesel. Yes, you can do it. But is it really more economical? Most diesel engines cost more than the comparable gasoline engine. Plus, at least in the US, diesel is taxed more heavily than gasoline, making the price at the pump more expensive.

Admittedly, it wouldn't take much to determine if the improved fuel economy would offset the extra costs, and I haven't done the math. But I never accept the "great fuel economy" argument at first pass.
These guys are not out to break mpg records but to show what the average driver can get with the new diesel tech. These are full size high performance cars that would probably get about 25-28 mpg and these guys are getting 43-45 mpg. They should finish their 48 hour 60 mph average drive pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The final results

"We're in at the hotel and enjoying our first shower and time to stretch out in over 2 days. LA to New York was accomplished in 46 hours with some more leisurely rest stops near the end. The drivers and vehicles all did amazing. Here's the final numbers

Q5 38.623mpg 24.6% over EPA highway, average speed of 61.9mph
A7 42.653mpg 12.25% over EPA highway, average speed of 62.175mph
A6 43.561mpg 14.63% over EPA highway, average speed of 62.44mph"

3 Audis TDIs Set to Cross the North American Continent in < 48 Hours at > EPA Highway - Page 4 - CleanMPG Forums

·
Registered
660 Posts
Diesel near me is .40/gal more expensive than regular gas. You're going to need much better mileage to make that up! I had a diesel a long time ago and it was a gutless wonder in a 4 banger. Driving around town I would get around 50 mpg but when I drove to Los Angeles I would have to stay in the far right lane and I was passed by tractor trailer rigs because I was so slow. 20-25 mph up the Grapevine.

I tried the VW Passat TDI but there was too much road noise in the car that I tested. It was hard to hear people talking in the car. HSH is head and shoulders better in my opinion. The few extra MPG that it was supposed to provide would never be made up with the .30-40/gal difference in fuel costs.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hyundai the 6 speed auto is much better than 4 in my Santa Fe but how about an 8 speed Automatic in Sonata and azera models.

"The A7 3.0L TDI was sexy (fastback) and smooth. The engine had all the power we needed to go highway speeds on the flats and up the mountains at just 1400 rpm or less. We only used 67 gallons on the whole drive. The A6 used 66, which shows the consistency on this clean diesel power plant. "

1 - 9 of 9 Posts