Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I am new to this forum and I have a question about my Getz 1.1 GSI 2004. I have owned the car for over a year, and have a problem, although this does not affect the performance of the car, it is annoying!

Sometimes when it is cold, ie first thing in the morning, or been a frost or even a downpour of rain and the atmosphere is damp, when I start the car I get a squeal from the (I presume) the fan belt. It doesn't last more than 5 - 10 seconds, then it stops. Also, like this morning when I put the heater, lights and rear demister on it squealed again, then stopped a few seconds later. When the car has been running for a couple of minutes then it won't happen again!

I have had a new fan belt, power steering belt and battery put on the car, and it still does it!, but not all the time.

This never happens in the summer, or when it is warm. Could it just be that when it is cold, the belt is cold, so it takes a few seconds to warm up? Has anyone else had this happen?

Like I say it doesn't affect the car, just annoying!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

it does sound like your alternator belt needs to be tightened up slightly, if the belt is slightly slack it will screech on start up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and the welcome!,

If the belt needed tightening, would the car not squeal everytime I started it? Like I said it only appears to happen when the weather gets colder or damp, when it's warm it's fine, it hasn't happened since the beginning of this year when it was freezing, only when the car is cold does this happen. If I went to start my car now it wouldn't squeal. The mechanic who services my car (very trustworthy, used him for years) said that the belt was tight enough and if you over tighten you can damage the alternator? He said that changes in temperature can cause the belt to squeal?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
still think the belt is slightly slack..........................this would be the first thing to check, new belts can stretch slightly after a while

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't know if it's still available, but Engineers suppliers used to sell aerosol cans of "Belt Dressing". I've no idea whats in the spray, but you spray it on pulleys and it leaves the surface 'tacky' so the belt doesn't slip. I've had a can in my garage for a year or three now, and although our Hyundai's have not needed any of this treatment, I did have occasion to use it on my previous car (Discovery), and it certainly stops the squealing from belts.
LC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Mothers 1.4 automatic Getz is making a screech every time she does the three point turn required to get the car off the property, so lots of load through the power steering. Driving in a straight line though, the belt screech doesn't happen. This is in July so god know what sort of noise it'll be making come October. Pump or belt change??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are there any instruction videos or guides on how to do this? I have a squeal from my power steering belt I think. It squeals when I first start the car and when I turn the wheel fully to the left or right.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,940 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum.

Are there any instruction videos or guides on how to do this?
It took about 5 seconds to do a Google search...1st hit, a video showing power steering belt replacement on a Hyundai Elantra which will obviously include re-tensioning the belt. The Getz will be very similar : Hyundai PAS Belt Replacement

Regards.

Scottie.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts