Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Im wondering whether its possible to put a 1.6l engine into a car that had a 1.4l engine in it.

They are both 2007 manual 4 door hyundai getz.
I have purchased a repairable ride off (financial) and want to put that engine into my getz that has a blown motor.

I will have the entire car so dont mind if i have to change ecu or swap dashes and computers over etc, but just want to see if anyone has done it an if it will work.

Thank you!! ?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,969 Posts
Hello Elizabeth, welcome to the forum 00000732

I don't think you'll have any trouble swapping your original 1.4 engine for the 1.6. They're both basically the same engine.
The only issue I can think of that you'll need to deal with is the immobilizer. The ignition keys for both cars are paired with the engine ECU.
Your original ignition key wont be paired with the 1.6 engine's ECU, so the engine wont start using the original key.
You'll either need to swap over the ignition barrels so you can use the 1.6 key in your car's ignition switch, or fool the 1.6 ECU into thinking your using it's ignition key. Either way, it's not really a huge problem if you have access to the donor car.

Good luck with the project.

Scott.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts