Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's !

I'm new here, and i'm coming to share with you a problem that i have with my Hyundai Getz 1.5 CRDI.

This sunday, i have notice that when i accelerate, a big black smoke are exhausts

I have plug my OBD tool and see that my engine cooling temp. is at -40°C.

But when i select ECT value to see the graph, the values are correct : from +70°C to +74°C...

No problem with cold and hot engine lamp on board.
I have also notice that this sensor are equiped of two NTC resistor. One of them are connected at two pin, and the other has one of his pin connected to the ground and the other to the third pin of the sensor.
My measures :
No resistor between ground and pin 1, 2 and 3
120 ohms between pin 1 and 3, but it's strange because they aren't connected Inside.

Any idea ?

Thx a lot for your help,
Tachro52

Attachments

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hi guy's !

I'm new here, and i'm coming to share with you a problem that i have with my Hyundai Getz 1.5 CRDI.

This sunday, i have notice that when i accelerate, a big black smoke are exhausts

I have plug my OBD tool and see that my engine cooling temp. is at -40°C.

But when i select ECT value to see the graph, the values are correct : from +70°C to +74°C...

No problem with cold and hot engine lamp on board.
I have also notice that this sensor are equiped of two NTC resistor. One of them are connected at two pin, and the other has one of his pin connected to the ground and the other to the third pin of the sensor.
My measures :
No resistor between ground and pin 1, 2 and 3
120 ohms between pin 1 and 3, but it's strange because they aren't connected Inside.

Any idea ?

Thx a lot for your help,
Tachro52
You ECT sensor is bad. Replace it. It's intermittent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was what i thought. I will replace-it this week and i come back tell you. But, why i graph mode values are correct ?

Thx grcauto !

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
that was what i thought. I will replace-it this week and i come back tell you. But, why i graph mode values are correct ?

Thx grcauto !

It's intermittent....or....a wiring problem that is intermittent.....sensor will fix 90% of the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's intermittent....or....a wiring problem that is intermittent.....sensor will fix 90% of the time.
So,

Intermittent absolutes values (-40°C correspond to a open circuit) are stocked by OBD, and it's why this value is return by home data page ?
And when i open the graph, real values are returned ?

I hope it's this sensor, thank you a lot for comforting me in my opinion.
I come back next week for news.

Tachro52

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
So,

Intermittent absolutes values (-40°C correspond to a open circuit) are stocked by OBD, and it's why this value is return by home data page ?
And when i open the graph, real values are returned ?

I hope it's this sensor, thank you a lot for comforting me in my opinion.
I come back next week for news.

Tachro52
Yes. Change the sensor and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi all :)

I had replace my ECT sensor last day.

Not really hard to access (just have to take off battery).

Really hard to remove and put on. Be sure you have a long sleeve of 19mm.

So, i have take on my new sensor, i have little bit damaged the screw head but looks ok.
I have plug my OBD tool, and i always have -40°C on my home page.
On graph page, i have +90°C (i have drive a long time before measuring) ... Like before replacing the sensor.

Cold light indicator works correctly, and main fan is switchin on when it's necessary.

So, my new questions :

grcauto, you said that -40°C could be a stored value of intermittent fault.
How can-i be sure that this value was erased before starting engine ? I have plug-off my battery, it's sufficient or maybe i need to make an specific operation ?

I want to be sure that this "-40°C" displayed is not a stored value from the old sensor before checkin wiring.

And, just to anticipate, someone have electrical sheet of this function (cooling sensor) ?

Thank a lot for your help.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hi all :)

I had replace my ECT sensor last day.

Not really hard to access (just have to take off battery).

Really hard to remove and put on. Be sure you have a long sleeve of 19mm.

So, i have take on my new sensor, i have little bit damaged the screw head but looks ok.
I have plug my OBD tool, and i always have -40°C on my home page.
On graph page, i have +90°C (i have drive a long time before measuring) ... Like before replacing the sensor.

Cold light indicator works correctly, and main fan is switchin on when it's necessary.

So, my new questions :

grcauto, you said that -40°C could be a stored value of intermittent fault.
How can-i be sure that this value was erased before starting engine ? I have plug-off my battery, it's sufficient or maybe i need to make an specific operation ?

I want to be sure that this "-40°C" displayed is not a stored value from the old sensor before checkin wiring.

And, just to anticipate, someone have electrical sheet of this function (cooling sensor) ?

Thank a lot for your help.
Is the vehicle running OK now? I'm not sure how your scan tool functions. Looks like an OTC tool.
Anyway, I don't think the PCM stores that info except in the freeze frame data.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
v
Is the vehicle running OK now? I'm not sure how your scan tool functions. Looks like an OTC tool.
Anyway, I don't think the PCM stores that info except in the freeze frame data.
Like each time i switch off battery, my Getz is transformed in formule 1 the firts kms ;)
I havn't see anymore black smoke since replacement.
I stay careful and i tell you.

Last time i had see black smoke was at the end of a long trip (3hours of driving)

I check value with my tool today, maybe stored value was replaced.

Regards,
T52

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hyundai Getz anormal Engine Cooling Temperature And black smokes

Hi guys !

So, since i have replace my sensor, il always have black smoke.

More the engine is hot, more the smoke is black.

Il always have -40°C at the OBD main data and correct values in graph mode.

So, il would like check my wiring, but i dont know where is going ECT wires,

Maybe someone could give me an screenshoot of this sheet from workshop manual ?

I need to check theses 3 wires.

Thx ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts