Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1988 Excel which was used Heavily. I am wondering what the Gas Mileage should be I am curently getting 220 to the tank and I fell I should be getting more. I am going to change the spark plugs and clean the carb but... I don't know if that will solve my problem. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
That year/model has a 10.6 US Gal. tank

The original mpg rating for the 88 Excel w/4-speed manual transmission was 27/33. (lower for automatic and higher for overdrive-equipped manual)

Assuming as always that is an optimistic figure, you would be hoping for at leat 25/30 - so 250 to 300 miles on a tank would be closer to what you should be getting.

Along with the tune-up, put in a new air filter and get an oil change - (10w30 recommended). Also check your tire pressure all around - low pressure and worn tires can also degrade mileage. Summer tires will do a lot better than all-season radials

In all, these are not very powerful vehicles (68 hp) so how you drive can also make a big difference in fuel consumption.

Best wishes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by gordo@Oct 7 2004, 08:04 AM
That year/model has a 10.6 US Gal. tank

The original mpg rating for the 88 Excel w/4-speed manual transmission was 27/33. (lower for automatic and higher for overdrive-equipped manual)

Assuming as always that is an optimistic figure, you would be hoping for at leat 25/30 - so 250 to 300 miles on a tank would be closer to what you should be getting.

Along with the tune-up, put in a new air filter and get an oil change - (10w30 recommended). Also check your tire pressure all around - low pressure and worn tires can also degrade mileage. Summer tires will do a lot better than all-season radials

In all, these are not very powerful vehicles (68 hp) so how you drive can also make a big difference in fuel consumption.

Best wishes
[snapback]1575[/snapback]​

I have a 1993 Excel four-speed with an 11.9 gallon gas tank and 81 horsepower. EPA suggests gas mileage between 28 city and 33 highway (about, I can't remember specifically due to my sometimes poor memory :) ). Well, my gas mileage as been pretty good. The last time I rated my gas mileage (from full to empty), I had driven 400 miles before the gas light went on. 400 divided by 11.9 equals 34 MPG. That's good for being driven mainly in the city. And that's when it's driven hard.

Other ways to raise MPGs is to take out any extra weight in the car (junk, tools etc.). I once heard that you lose about 1% of your gas mileage for each 100 pounds you put in the car, not counting people.

Keeping the windows up will improve mileage as well, because wind isn't getting inside the vehicle and it doesn't add so much drag.

Hope that helped! :)

~Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts