Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Testing if it is your battery or alternator

New or recharged battery should be 12.2 to 13V car turned off.
Start the car multi meter volts should go to 13.2 to 14.5 'ish running if your alternator is charging, watch the voltage with car running still and big fluctuations are symptomatic that its the voltage regulator (internal in alt on these).

Alternator Removal and Installation Instructions and tools needed
http://www.justanswer.com/car/01as9-replace-alternator-1994-hyundai-excel-gl-1-5l.html
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/153-excel-forum-mitsubishi-engined/221001-98-excel-dohc-alternator-leads-question.html

Buying, get korean model, some eleco's wont install the chinese ones.

Brand New Alternator to Suit Hyundai Excel x3 90Amp 1 5L Petrol 1994 to 2000 | eBay

$160 ebay.

Testing if it is your battery or alternator ($24)

New or recharged battery should be 12.2 to 13V car turned off.
Start the car multi meter volts (DCV 20 setting) should go to 13.2 range to 14.5 'ish running if your alternator is charging, watch the voltage with car running still and big fluctuations are symptomatic that its the voltage regulator (internal in alt on these) that is rooted.

I broke down in the bush, went to bigw, bought 2 batteries $300, limped home changing them, got about 4hrs/400km each battery,got home, bought alternator on ebay, cost $160.

For refund

Recharge all batteries, get refund, /Re- Use your original battery total job spend =$160
Recharged the 2 new bigw batteries, as well dont mark em and keep the plastic thimbles too.
For refund, go bigw get your $300.

Tools

Multi meter, ($24, set it to DCV 20).
Torch and hand mirror for testing, mobile phone with flash camera is handy,., maybe a shifter for battery, myne was 10m.
10mm,12m,13m, multi - grips or wide spread pliers for radiator hose clamp removal, i used long nose.

Torch and small hand mirror for viewing terminals and taking flash photographs mobile phone with flash on, maybe a shifter for battery, myne was 10m.

GL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to this so sorry if this is the wrong forum!
But I'm having a problem with my '97 excel. When I go to start the car, it makes a clicking noise but doesn't actually start. It's not the battery as it has been changed and makes no difference at all, and the car cannot be jumped.
Any ideas as to what it could be?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts