Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

(First and foremost, if you wanted the Elantra Touring in the Elantra section i apologize, I know the Elantra Touring US is an i30 CW everywhere else, so i figured I would start here)

I was driving my Elantra touring on the highway yesterday, when all of a sudden the Battery indicator light, and the electronic power steering system [EPS] light came on, and i wasn't able to accelerate, however I was able to brake so i pulled off with my remaining momentum. I let the car sit and reset it, it ran fine. I took it to Hyundai to get it checked out today, they said there was nothing wrong with it. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem before, or if it was some computer glitch in my system that caused the car to do that.

The car is 09 Elantra Touring with just under 5k miles. Please let me know if any other information is required, my car is staying at Hyundai til Tuesday when I'm able to get a ride to pick it up.

Thank You for your help

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Well when the battery light comes on, it means the alternator is not charging the battery. Were you driving on a very wet road by chance? If so the water can get between the serpentine belt and the pulley and cause it to slip which will in turn cause the whole thing to slow down. Cars do funny things when they get low voltage so it's possible the drive by wire computer went into a fail-safe mode to prevent unintended acceleration or damage to the computer.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Loss of power and the battery light coming on would indicate an engine shut down. For this to happen while driving would sound like either an ignition or fuel system issue. That's the bad part of the news. The better part of the answer is that the 2.0L is a great engine with an excellent history, so should it happen again, at some point it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Hyundai has a whole lot of these engines on the road, with a lot of history and experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.