Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so I got a Elantra SE 2017 recently and I'm trying to make more what I wanted, so I want to change the Radio which the one I got is pretty much the standard basic one like this:

For one radio OEM like this:

About the radios the first thing I realize is that hyundai has some OEM navi radios which has differente plugs of the standard one,

Standard plug:

So after while I found one radio with screen which has the same kind of plug:

First proglem about this one, it got more entrances than the other one, so I'm stuck with that, I tried to find everywhere on the internet and did not find anything... What each entrance is for... How should I do in order to fit the older plugs... Etc....

So if you guys had this previsously would be good if you could give me help with that.

Second problem I'm facing is that I'm thinking to change the AC control to this one here:

Anyone of you guys had replaced the old one (which has no separate controls of driver and passager) ?

Third problem: My steering wheel control has no phone control, I have the cruise control, radio, etc... just the phone is missing, like this one:

I want to replace for this one:

Do you think if I change would work with the new radio? for what I have seen if I left the standard old one will not work at all...

I also want to install a backup camera which I think with the new multimidia would work just fine.

If you guys can help me I really would appreciate that!

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Thought about replacing the radio in my 88 Supra Turbo, easy, DIN 2 type, two screws, pull it out and in my hand. Problem, the stock radio has a special switch in it to operate the antenna, and no aftermarket radio has that future, plus it matches other components.

Just plugged in an FM converter into the cigarette lighter socket that plays MP3's and gives hands free calls.

You need shark antenna, believe you just have a glass antenna for AM and FM. Parts and cable alone is over $300.00 and you have to remove the headliner to installed it and carefully drill holes in the roof, and a water proof installation. Has four different antenna connections.

Radio with navigation, infinity sound system, external amplifier and nine speakers that fit can add another OEM parts list of close to $4,000.00 and would have to take the entire dash and interior apart to install it, guessing if the four BCM's are compatible. Then steering wheel changes, radio functions are also controlled on the steering wheel.

My 2017 Elantra Limited has all that stuff, plus power driver's seat with lumbar, all seats are electrically heated and cooling vented with the AC, better suspension, moon roof, and other stuff.

Looked it up on Kelly's, with only 25K miles on it, not a scratch or dent anywhere, trade in value is only $12,000.00. Be far better off to trade yours off, actually you should have looked for the stuff you wanted.

As an old automotive engineer, met guys that spent over $25,000 for customed installed sound systems over the years. With road salt, in three years, their vehicles were a pile of rust and sound systems worthless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought about replacing the radio in my 88 Supra Turbo, easy, DIN 2 type, two screws, pull it out and in my hand. Problem, the stock radio has a special switch in it to operate the antenna, and no aftermarket radio has that future, plus it matches other components.

Just plugged in an FM converter into the cigarette lighter socket that plays MP3's and gives hands free calls.

You need shark antenna, believe you just have a glass antenna for AM and FM. Parts and cable alone is over $300.00 and you have to remove the headliner to installed it and carefully drill holes in the roof, and a water proof installation. Has four different antenna connections.

Radio with navigation, infinity sound system, external amplifier and nine speakers that fit can add another OEM parts list of close to $4,000.00 and would have to take the entire dash and interior apart to install it, guessing if the four BCM's are compatible. Then steering wheel changes, radio functions are also controlled on the steering wheel.

My 2017 Elantra Limited has all that stuff, plus power driver's seat with lumbar, all seats are electrically heated and cooling vented with the AC, better suspension, moon roof, and other stuff.

Looked it up on Kelly's, with only 25K miles on it, not a scratch or dent anywhere, trade in value is only $12,000.00. Be far better off to trade yours off, actually you should have looked for the stuff you wanted.

As an old automotive engineer, met guys that spent over $25,000 for customed installed sound systems over the years. With road salt, in three years, their vehicles were a pile of rust and sound systems worthless.

Thanks for the reply, yes I think you are right, if I get brand new accessories will cost me close from the car price, which is not worth. I'm thinking to buy the parts from cars which are been taken apart, on ebay they have tons of accessories like that, what you think about this option?

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is quite a project - it is doable, but you need to feel comfortable working with various tools and have proper knowledge. Manual dexterity is one of requirements as well as having schematics. For the links below, open in Chrome and translate to English. This should give you an idea what to expect.
a) Navigation radio retrofit - look here: 아반떼 ad 네비매립 DIY 다이 매립방법 네비게이션
b) Auto climate control retrofit: 아반떼AD 스포츠에 오토공조기 장착해보기(DIY) #3
c) As far as gaining additional menu items on your instrument cluster, to the best of my knowledge this will require Hyundai GDS to activate additional funcions - it is possible cluster replacement will be required as well.

I agree with NicholasD that you are better off finding a vehicle already equipped with the options you seek. Elantras are relatively inexpensive as they depreciate fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is quite a project - it is doable, but you need to feel comfortable working with various tools and have proper knowledge. Manual dexterity is one of requirements as well as having schematics. For the links below, open in Chrome and translate to English. This should give you an idea what to expect.
a) Navigation radio retrofit - look here: 아반떼 ad 네비매립 DIY 다이 매립방법 네비게이션
b) Auto climate control retrofit: 아반떼AD 스포츠에 오토공조기 장착해보기(DIY) #3
c) As far as gaining additional menu items on your instrument cluster, to the best of my knowledge this will require Hyundai GDS to activate additional funcions - it is possible cluster replacement will be required as well.

I agree with NicholasD that you are better off finding a vehicle already equipped with the options you seek. Elantras are relatively inexpensive as they depreciate fast.
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm thinking like that too, I will probably give up on these modifications and just save money to get a new one asap... I was thinking would be ok just to switch to a touchscreen radio OEM, without any problem (I did in past with a Peugeot 307 that I owned before this one), but unfortunately is not. But anyway, thank you so much for the replies!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Inexpensive was doing my teenage years, even in my later 20's, could really find a nice car with brand new tires that need a dollar in parts to repair for less than $100.00. Any vehicle back then from the 30's was less than $20.00 for really nice cars.

What I don't like about this new stuff, is lack of screws, just about everything is snapped together and I can tell you, a heck of a lot easier to snap parts together than to unsnapped them. Sometimes they don't unsnap, break instead.

Could also put in a 60 buck like new Caddy engine in a 1948 Ford, was legal back then and could do this for less than a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Another little detail, that VIN with computers tells exactly how that vehicle was originally outfitted.

Modification can actually depreciate the value of your car and can also lead to insurance liability problems, even though a drunk hit you headon driving in the wrong lane, its your fault because you changed a light bulb from stock or the radio. Any rotten excuse to keep them from paying a claim.

How do claim adjusters sleep at night? Very well, and even better the more people they can screw. Another is warranty, that radio doesn't have a darn thing to do with the cooling system. But since it failed cracking the head on your engine, you did something by changing the radio.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Modification can actually depreciate the value of your car and can also lead to insurance liability problems
This is actually very common in the EU - in a case of an accident, police and/or insurance adjuster do check if vehicle is modified with any exterior LED (or HID retrofit) bulbs (none of which are road legal). This is a big no-no on the other side of the pond, unlike the wild-wild-west approach we find in NA. If such modification is found, insurance is likely to refuse any pay-out.

Inexpensive was doing my teenage years
That was cheap, not inexpensive ;-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even if you could find everything you're going to have to pay a dealer to reprogram your cars computer to get it all working. It's no just plug and play.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts