Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have lost the key to my 2017 Elantra GL. I'm trying to buy a new key on eBay, but I don't think that I have the correct number.

To clarify: I am only looking for the key that goes in the ignition, not the transmitter with the 4 buttons.

I contacted my dealership and they gave me the part number 819961S010, but I can't find any part on eBay (or any other website) for that part number.

Do I have the correct part number? If anyone has bought an OEM key on the web, could they please give me some pointers on where to buy the key?

Best regards,
David

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
These keys are laser cut, very few locksmiths in my neck of the woods have this very expensive piece of equipment. Best bit bet is to order one from your dealer, they don't even have means to burn it, but order it with your VIN.

Ha, goodbye to 50 cent keys.

Kind of look at it for the latest and greatest anti-thief keys, we are getting robbed. Ha, with older anti-thief, a thief taking your vehicle was doing you a favor, that way he will get all of your problems.

·
22,788 Posts
@Cykey: Try a space between the p/n: 81996 1S010 No guarantee. eBay offers a nice pictorial selection. Not same p/n however. But you may see an exact match. Make sure you didn’t accidentally depress the “S” meaning to hit the “E” key. Close proximity to each other on the keyboard. (Don’t ask how I know this! LOL)

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,626 Posts
please give me some pointers on where to buy the key?
Your car has a transponder immobilizer (according to the supplied part number) so I'd advise buying the key from the Hyundai dealer. You'll need to have the dealer code the key to the car's engine PCM anyway. If you ask the dealer to code a key you've bought on ebay and they have problems with it they will still charge you for the coding even if the key isn't able to start the engine.

·
22,788 Posts
Your car has a transponder immobilizer (according to the supplied part number) so I'd advise buying the key from the Hyundai dealer. You'll need to have the dealer code the key to the car's engine PCM anyway. If you ask the dealer to code a key you've bought on ebay and they have problems with it they will still charge you for the coding even if the key isn't able to start the engine.
Thanks, AUTOSPARK!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@AUTOSPARK Thanks for the info. The mechanic at my dealer told me that OEM keys bought online will work just fine, so I'll go with that option. Do you recommend any online OEM parts websites?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
FYOI...Look what my dealer wanted to charge me for my second key which they lost. Of course I didn't have to pay.
15 bucks for the key blank another 25 bucks to laser cut it sounds about right, just about what all they charge just for the key.

220 bucks just for the remote or fob as they call it is on the steep side, more in the 70 buck range.

Have no idea why they are charging another 65 bucks for labor.

·
22,788 Posts
Have no idea why they are charging another 65 bucks for labor.
My Best guess, Nick? “Because they can!” No rhyme or reason...other than “After The Sale Romancing.”

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
My Best guess, Nick? “Because they can!” No rhyme or reason...other than “After The Sale Romancing.”
Shop manual says you need that GDS to program a new remote, fob, or whatever. Other vehicle's don't need this open and close the drivers door ten time in ten seconds, step on the brake and accelerator four times or whatever to program.

Shows a four step procedure with the Elantra, my guess taking a three minute break in between, would take no more than five minutes.

But you gotta have a GDS, been looking at these with a screen, kind of pricey, but some just have the software and a cable you can connect to a laptop.

Somehow got by not buying a GM Tech II scanner for $5,600.00, ha, maybe will get by without buying a GDS. But if you have a good dealer, and wants your return business, they will do it for free.

Sounds like you have a good dealer, Okie, stick with him, so have I, but so far just get free car washes, coffee, and donuts, tell them still have fun working on it myself.

Do get the lowest prices anywhere for Hyundai filters, simply because I asked for the lowest prices. And we always have enjoyable conversations.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,626 Posts
Other vehicle's don't need this open and close the drivers door ten time in ten seconds, step on the brake and accelerator four times or whatever to program.
Yeah, a lot of cars were like that 20 years ago (including Hyundai) but not today.

Welcome to the 21st century.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Ha, after I told my wife what a replacement smart key remote cost, she has to treat it like her wedding ring set, her Rolex watch, but now that Apple wrist band, and her iphone.

Being as frugal as I am, added my house key, just in case we have a power failure or my garage door doesn't work. Folder that over the buttons, and put it in a two cent ziplock bag, wrapped that tight with a large rubber band on it. Keeps it 100% water proof and clean from all your pocket lint.

With the last car with a laser cut key start, could not do this, and that groove would load up with debris, sure did not want to spill a coke on it, will not start your car.

Have to check this key for it working once in awhile, with only one lock and a dead remote battery, if that lock is frozen, you will never get in. 04 had three locks with a remote that got wet, doors were frozen for me not checking, but the trunk worked, so could crawl in, barely. Also way out of cell phone range.

Wonder if these new kid engineers think about stuff like this.

Compact spares are stupid with ABS and traction control to save ten pounds, but sure a lot better than a spray can, just another minor issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tried to have keys cut for 2017 Elantra from two locksmiths without success.

The keys would not fit the door lock despite four attempts. I was quoted $220 Australian from the Hyundai dealer I purchased the car from and was told that price would come down as they supplied the car.

The dealer informed me that the vehicle would only support two programmed keys at a time so in the end I ended up with only two keys, not a big deal really as I only wanted the third set for my son.

I think for peace of mind I would purchase from a dealer rather from eBay as I will have some come back and for me that offsets the higher price payed to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Can purchase one of these, only $8.200.00 US dollars and DIY. claims to completely duplicate the original key, laser cutter. These use to cost $12,000.00, like anything new, the price comes down.

Did find an OEM Hyundai smart key on ebay for $94.00 with a blank key, as these unibody cars get totaled, will be finding more preowned, but will have to buy your own key blank, see these for around $10.00. Nearest place I can get a key laser cut is in the Twin Cities.

Had a small leather key holder with ignition keys on one side, trunk on the other for four vehicles, but history now with remotes. Son hung a key holder by his garage home service door, Hmm, which set to you grab, they all kind of look alike.

Wife is always teasing me about putting my pocket camera and smart phone in a ziplock bag, but I don't have problems, she does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts