Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra that has been runningperfect for about 4 years now. I have 197000 miles and now can’t get it to start.
it began when it would stall out at lights or coming to a stop sign. It wouldn’t do it every time so I didn’t rush it to the dealership. Eventually I took it to get checked and I was told it was my fuel pump. Hyundai wanted to charge $900 to change it and and perform a induction/ carbon cleaning. I replaced my fuel pump myself and used a system cleaner afterwards. That didn’t work because I couldn’t even get it to stay on. I would have to try to crank it back to back while holding the gas down, but it wouldn’t stay on unless I kept my foot on the gas.
I changed both camshaft position sensors, all 4 spark plugs, and already had purchased a new battery 3 months prior. What is the problem? I can’t figure it out?
it won’t do anything now just clicks as if the battery is dead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello!

I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra that has been runningperfect for about 4 years now. I have 197000 miles and now can’t get it to start.
it began when it would stall out at lights or coming to a stop sign. It wouldn’t do it every time so I didn’t rush it to the dealership. Eventually I took it to get checked and I was told it was my fuel pump. Hyundai wanted to charge $900 to change it and and perform a induction/ carbon cleaning. I replaced my fuel pump myself and used a system cleaner afterwards. That didn’t work because I couldn’t even get it to stay on. I would have to try to crank it back to back while holding the gas down, but it wouldn’t stay on unless I kept my foot on the gas.
I changed both camshaft position sensors, all 4 spark plugs, and already had purchased a new battery 3 months prior. What is the problem? I can’t figure it out?
it won’t do anything now just clicks as if the battery is dead.
I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra 6MT 1.8L GLS
off the lot 152 miles
Currently 195k miles
Other than chassis maintenance and consumables this car has been a peach.
until that last 5k or 10k miles
I have similar issues as above although my vehicle does not stall.... YET
What began as a slight lull during startup has transformed into the following.

If the car is running and at idle with no radio, no blower, no lights (E-brake), no cooling fans. A light flicker in the instrument and center cluster is visible but you have to focus.
This is exacerbated as more load is placed and ergo the flickering becomes more apparent.
This will cause the instrument cluster, MPH and RPM, to glitch as power is lost and the needle will maintain a position for a second and not much more. The radio will cut out briefly when braking or turning on the turn signal or flashing brights or opening doors, power windows locks.... blah blah
ANYTHING THAT APPLIES ADDITIONAL LOAD.
Recently, The blower motor will fire up, then dwindle into nothing after no more than 15secs and never at full power. I replaced the blower motor resistor, swapped the starter relay with the blower relay, said screw it and got a new battery and... well... My lights are brighter but the issue still remains.
IT'S A POWER DRAIN FROM SOMEWHERE!
FYI, The alternator makes brown weird dusty stuff when they're dying and for this car, I believe a kia soul is the same part. I've put it in the air without removing anything more than the skid plate, threw a friend in, started it, 30 min of tracing and retracing provided nothing from any body ground, senser, wire, or harness I could touch.
TO NOTE
I've owned the car since day one and maintained.
The drivers side brake light goes out often enough to be annoying, at times starting dim and going full. It has been cleaned with electrical cleaner, flexed the contact, added goop, and the issue is persistent.
There is a "Click/Twang/Ping" Almost as if the metal shirt clip to a pen would be bent back and flicked..... That sound, has coming from the center dash for awhile and when this happens the clock, every time and other lights, intermittently, will power surge and glow bright AF for a blink... It is actually pretty cool.
IF YOU CAN HELP PROVIDE OR DIRECT TO:
-COMPLETE SERVICE MANUAL
-WIRING DIAGRAM
-ANY PREVIOUS POWER ISSUE RESOLUTIONS

Dear god please help, the other car is a Bug eye... and well... if you know, you know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts