Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport with the 7SP DCT Auto. No one can give me any insight as to how long the transmission will last which is concerning, I know it has a wear parts because of the clutch.

I talked to the dealership and they said if the clutch went bad on the DCT, they would have to replace the entire transmission, at a lovely cost of $5500. Also, according to the dealer the clutch is covered by the 10yr/100,000 warranty because the DCT is all one part.

Does anyone have an idea or website link that has info on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interestingly I was looking at the reviews for this and seem that the Sport version of the Elantra's a solid car.....except for the DCT tranny. Looked a bit on youtube and low and behold, some issues with it. Alot of manufacturers are experiencing issues witht he DCT tranny but if I was in your shoes, with the 100,000 mile warranty, I would rest easy if anything went wrong.

I just hit 7,000 miles on my 2017 Elantra SE, one oil change in and about to do my second in 500 miles and no issues so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interestingly I was looking at the reviews for this and seem that the Sport version of the Elantra's a solid car.....except for the DCT tranny. Looked a bit on youtube and low and behold, some issues with it. Alot of manufacturers are experiencing issues witht he DCT tranny but if I was in your shoes, with the 100,000 mile warranty, I would rest easy if anything went wrong.

I just hit 7,000 miles on my 2017 Elantra SE, one oil change in and about to do my second in 500 miles and no issues so far.
Yeah, I had 2010 Elantra, zero problems. However, it was just too slow, that's why I went with the Sport. I wish they would have used a 7-8 SP regular tranny. :frown:

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
DCT's normal life is probably the same as a comparable auto or manual. I'd expect 200K+ out of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clutches are just like brakes, they last longer the better you take care of them and the less you need to use them. Want to rest easy? educate yourself on their care.

I did see that video, most of what he said is in the manual. Great tips none the less.

DCT's normal life is probably the same as a comparable auto or manual. I'd expect 200K+ out of it.
What worries me is the clutch itself. The dealer told me they don't replace the DCT clutch separately, the Tran and Clutch are all one unit.

Does a clutch last 200k?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
What worries me is the clutch itself. The dealer told me they don't replace the DCT clutch separately, the Tran and Clutch are all one unit.

Does a clutch last 200k?

Thanks

Last clutch in a manual I had to replaced was @ 196K when it started slipping. Many get well past that. As stated already, just avoid things that can burn it up. At least with these, no change of riding one like in a full manual.

How long will it last, well they are too new for anyone to really know. Maybe clutch packs will be available as a separate item down the road.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
DCT is an "automated" Manual trans.... gearbox should ideally have no issues,, just change the oil in the box with the specified Hyundai GL4 oil and all should be fine internally..

Control module in communication with engine will operate a clutch actuator to select 1 of 2 clutch/input shaft for desired gear.. and a gear select actuator selects gear set like a "stick" on a manual trans, though the selector is servo driven

Reactions: tobidog

·
Registered
369 Posts
DCTs are fairly reliable given they get taken care of. Change the oil when you should and you’re good. Buddy of mine had a DSG TDI Passat with 250k on it. Just did the service every 40k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
I did see that video, most of what he said is in the manual. Great tips none the less.

Does a clutch last 200k?

Thanks

Check with a different dealer. I'd hate to see you worrying about the clutches for the entire time you own the car. That will suck the fun out of owning the car.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
New to me dual clutch transmission ,we just have the AT in our 2017 Limited, only six speed, but flawless, with a manual override. Wife and I are down shifters and get far better fuel economy in town in 3rd gear rather than 5th.

Sure don't see this car shifting this car, and assume it does not have a manual clutch, suppose I could go to my dealer and test drive this car.

This guy definitely has a power on reset problem, probably a loose battery or ground connection someplace.

This doesn't sound good.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2016/hyundai-dual-clutch-transmission-dct-lawsuit.shtml

But the whole cause of this can also result but lack of a good power on reset when started, caused by a loose electrical connection screw or nut someplace.

With our Limited in 4*F weather like we had a week ago, got heat at 8 blocks, full operating temperature after 20 blocks. Problem before was one loose nut, but screws up all the computers.

·
Registered
610 Posts
DCT's scare me a bit. One common thing across manufacturers seems to involve cooling. Unfortunately, I don't live in an ideal climate for transmissions with such issues. This is one reason I decided against the Eco (that, and there was no sunroof).

On the other hand, a lot of it seems to be addressed with software issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm loving my DCT. I treat it as a manual when in traffic. I wouldn't ride the clutch with a manual while in traffic and drive the same with this.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Put over 200K miles on an MT, only concern is riding the clutch on 1st or reverse, really take it easy, rest of the gears, sync the engine speed with the gears, can be smoother than an AT.

Mostly with Honda's using a cable clutch, with hydraulic, always a scare that the slave cylinder would leak, another really stupid idea. this acts just like front hydraulic disc brakes, inherently self adjusting. Only way to replace it, is two drop the transaxle.

Also talk about limited lubricated bearings, the very first ones, even going back to the 20's was the throwout bearing. Grease dries up and that bearing will seize. Now we even have more limited slip lubricated bearings in these stupid single belt drive systems. Never was a problem with multiple belts, is now.

Another post production job, remove and clean them and pack with Wolf's Red High temperature wheel bearing grease, this stuff last! Another problem is that bug collecting condenser, restricts air flow, no air, with Al Gore stupid R-134a, whose pressure increases exponentially with temperature really puts a heck of a load on that compressor with the same load on the water pump that causes bearing wear and seal leaks.

Us older engineers that knew how to fight with bean counters would not let this happen. But we are history.

Oh, Honda hired American engineers to show them how to design a car, on the clutch had a detended thumb wheel, when the clutch pedal got low, just give it a couple of clicks to bring it up again even with a warning, when it got low, time to replace it. With hydraulic no warning,one time good, next time, clear to the floor without warning.

Let us put a sealed ball upper bearing in the distributor instead of a cheap bronze. Alternator, remove two screws from the rear to replace the slip ring brushes. But Honda dealers weren't nice, 600 bucks for a new alternator.

But for us US engineers, only good for two years, then let go.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
After looking at many vehicles, Hyundai reminded me of Japanese vehicles of the 80's was real happy to see neoprene coolant hoses again with clamps instead of cheap plastic ones with span together fittings and O'rings and a real radiator cap.

Used fittings on AC lines, instead of snap together fittings again with limited life O'rings.

Still have to follow EPA regs on emission controls and DOT regs on throwaway unibodies. but at least galvanized first, this list goes on.

Ha, if this US engineer was involved, would have used a converter type power supply that would go way down to 5.2 volts and still get a reliable all important power on reset voltage, still stuck on that 7800 series from the late 70's that is only good to 8.5 volts. When you kick on that starter, one heck of a surge current, slightest resistance anywhere will drop that voltage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Traded my 2013 Focus Titanium in last week... Loved the car hated the DCT.. THE first week we had the car it had to go back for control module reflash as it lagged off the line.. Basically from that day on I complained every oil change about the shuddering and occasional over rev... They replaced module, clutch seals and eventually a clutch. FORD knee they had issues when I receive free extended warranty on the related parts.. Before Christmas driving 40km/hr the car when full throttle to red line with zero forward drive. I had to limp the car home. A new module got installed... Needless to say it was our first domestic car we had ever owned and regretted leaving imports...

All that to say I test drove the DCT elantra-sport sport and right from the dealers driveway to the first stop sign I could feel the DCT doing mild versions of what my Ford did. Shuddering.. Anyway it drove nice at speed and shifted beautifully.. Great speed from the DCT.. But I couldn't do a DCT again and the extra cost was not worth the gamble

I just took delivery of the 6speed manual.. Any shifting errors will be mine going forward lol

She is a beautiful car..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Traded my 2013 Focus Titanium in last week... Loved the car hated the DCT.. THE first week we had the car it had to go back for control module reflash as it lagged off the line.. Basically from that day on I complained every oil change about the shuddering and occasional over rev... They replaced module, clutch seals and eventually a clutch. FORD knee they had issues when I receive free extended warranty on the related parts.. Before Christmas driving 40km/hr the car when full throttle to red line with zero forward drive. I had to limp the car home. A new module got installed... Needless to say it was our first domestic car we had ever owned and regretted leaving imports...

All that to say I test drove the DCT elantra-sport sport and right from the dealers driveway to the first stop sign I could feel the DCT doing mild versions of what my Ford did. Shuddering.. Anyway it drove nice at speed and shifted beautifully.. Great speed from the DCT.. But I couldn't do a DCT again and the extra cost was not worth the gamble

I just took delivery of the 6speed manual.. Any shifting errors will be mine going forward lol

She is a beautiful car..

Yeah the ford DCTs aren’t very good. The one in my brothers focus is terrible.

My DCT Elantra sport has been very good so far with no issues but I’ve only got 3k on it, most of which are pretty hard miles hahaha. Only time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ya honestly if I had not been Ford burnt... I would be all over the DCT elantra-sport.. The paddle shifts worked pretty convincingly.. Side by side a DCT is gonna smoke my stick shifting ability

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
:frown:
Check with a different dealer. I'd hate to see you worrying about the clutches for the entire time you own the car. That will suck the fun out of owning the car.

I called two, both said they both said the clutch pack and auto trans are one unit. =\ . If the clutch pack was separate, I would be a lot less worried. $4500-5500 to replace a trans is flat out absurd.

New to me dual clutch transmission ,we just have the AT in our 2017 Limited, only six speed, but flawless, with a manual override. Wife and I are down shifters and get far better fuel economy in town in 3rd gear rather than 5th.

Sure don't see this car shifting this car, and assume it does not have a manual clutch, suppose I could go to my dealer and test drive this car.

This guy definitely has a power on reset problem, probably a loose battery or ground connection someplace.

This doesn't sound good.

But the whole cause of this can also result but lack of a good power on reset when started, caused by a loose electrical connection screw or nut someplace.

With our Limited in 4*F weather like we had a week ago, got heat at 8 blocks, full operating temperature after 20 blocks. Problem before was one loose nut, but screws up all the computers.
I talked to one dealer and they did have a lot of issues with the tucson and ended up having to replace the trans in a few of them. They said a software update helped a lot. However, I'm hearing a lot of people are still having issues. I should have researched the DCT more, but the allure of Elantra was too good. The car drives REALLY nice.

I think Hyundai should be more upfront with the DCT before people buy.

DCT's scare me a bit. One common thing across manufacturers seems to involve cooling. Unfortunately, I don't live in an ideal climate for transmissions with such issues. This is one reason I decided against the Eco (that, and there was no sunroof).

On the other hand, a lot of it seems to be addressed with software issues.

I live in DC and we get severe traffic and hot/humid weather. I drive about 70 miles a day. I haven't had any issues so far with 12k miles and no overheating of the DCT. I try to follow owners manual advice of stop and go traffic by allowing a gap to open. This method really sucks and requires a lot of thought, wears me out, and probably pisses the **** out of people.

She is a beautiful car..

The ford DCT's had issues from the start and I hope some owners got either an extended warranty or settlement. What scares me is the Tucson had a lot of issues, but I'm hoping Hyundai worked them out. The thought of dumping this car is starting to creep into my mind. The last thing I want is pony up $5500 to replace a DCT when I hit 100k.

Hyundai hit it out of the park with the looks with this trim. I wish there was another engine option for the regular Elantra.

On a side note, it looks like Hyundai is dumping the turbo AND DCT on the 2019 Tucson. I guess they realized people expect to drive a SUV in that class a certain way. I can't post links yet, but motor trend has an article on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts