Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've been experiencing this issue for close to two years, made several unsuccessful trips to the dealership where the last thing they did before the warranty went was to swap with another Elantra from their rental division. The problem is like this (hope I can explain it sensibly; be warned, it will be a bit long-winded):

- My initial reported issue was that the steering felt looser than it usually would. The service manager at the dealership tried many times to sell me that it's just how Hyundai's steering feels, but I've been the one driving the car all the time, so I know when the feeling started to change. I also compared it to a rental they gave me to use (same year/model) and it felt nothing like mine did. Over time, the problem worsened to the point where it became unsafe to drive the vehicle, and I returned it to the dealership and left it there, demanding that they resolve the problem. They kept it for close to a month and gave me another rental to use (Nissan Sentra) while they did 'testing', which involved the service manager driving it daily, and having other employees driving it as well. In the end, he said they found no problems, and they adjusted nothing. When I took it back however, the problem was still there. This is when after much haggling, they decided to swap the steering assembly which was at the end of my warranty. So essentially they washed their hands.
  • I went to a mechanic I knew from my Nissan days who had experience with these vehicles as he used to work at one of our island's dealerships that are responsible for Kia, Mazda, Audi, etc. His first check showed that the stabilizer links were shot, but he failed to change the bushings on the bar (more on that later), so those links eventually went bad as well. Changed the ball joints which were also shot, top engine mount which was shaking (dealership refused to change it when I made them aware of the same) and strut mounts. Replacing these parts made a bunch of noises from the front end go away, so it was a good, but the steering issue eventually returned. He also scanned the car (not sure what type of scanner he had) and found no issues. I eventually took the car to my current mechanic as when I took it to this new guy initially, they checked and found a racheting spanner in my engine filter box.. from the previous mechanic. Plus the guys that old mechanic had working with him, loosened my brake line which I had to end up fixing with my cousin by bleeding the line of air and then re-filling with fluid. I didn't realize the line was loose until I was dropping my gf home and had to do the flintstones bit to get the car to stop on my way back.
  • New mechanic found and resolved a whole host of problems including a knocking/rattling sound that the steering made, replaced the stabilizer links again as the left side broke and the stabilizer bar bushings. that restored control and some stability to the car. Also replaced my spark plugs which were shot (dealership never replaced them even though they said they did at my 50K service) and gave the engine a full flush/servicing which was badly needed (dealership again).

That's the back story. Fast forward to today, while driving, I had cause to overtake a slow driver and when I turned the steering to the right to begin to overtake, while doing said overtaking, the steering literally locked to the right instead of re-centering as it normally would, so I had to now manually turn it myself. The steering also feels wobbly and gives a sort of feeling like the car is dancing on the road. My tyres are brand new (GoodYear Direction Sport at the front bought last Thursday, Nexen CP56s bought early June) and balanced as when I got the GoodYears, at 90 the steering began to vibrate, so that's no longer happening. The car was aligned to spec (or so I thought), but today I also noticed that if I release the steering, it begins to pull to the left. I also have a bit of excessive vibrating when the car is in park or reverse. Finally, when parked, if I move the steering left to right and vice versa, I hear a slight knocking sound as it goes past I would say 15-20 degrees either side (I'm not sure if this noise is normal as I can't recall having heard it before). I've placed the car up for sale, but being the type of person I am, I would prefer to give the new owner with as minimal or no problems as far as possible, while still letting them know that x, y or z is still happening. I apologize for the long-winded post, but just trying to lay as much info out there so that I can get all your opinions on what may possibly be the cause. The new mechanic has been really helpful and unlike everyone else, has been listening and actually working with me to fix the issues (dealership made me feel like I was an idiot), so if you guys have any ideas, please let me know. If there's any additional info needed, I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
What kind of road are you driving this thing on with constant ball joint and stabilizer link failure. No mention of wheel alignment, with the steering wheel on returning to neutral after a turn, sounds like zero caster problems.

Scanners are for electronic problems, not aware of any scanning that tells you your bumper or fender fell off. Ha, your bumper didn't fall off, ain't getting any codes.

EPA insisted on electric power steering so wrecking yard don't have to recover a pint of PS fluid, more interested in recycling than anything else.. Only cure for electric power steering besides checking the wiring is to replace it.

Most states have some kind of lemon law, not sure how this delicious fruit got stuck with automotive problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying
What kind of road are you driving this thing on with constant ball joint and stabilizer link failure. No mention of wheel alignment, with the steering wheel on returning to neutral after a turn, sounds like zero caster problems.

Scanners are for electronic problems, not aware of any scanning that tells you your bumper or fender fell off. Ha, your bumper didn't fall off, ain't getting any codes.

EPA insisted on electric power steering so wrecking yard don't have to recover a pint of PS fluid, more interested in recycling than anything else.. Only cure for electric power steering besides checking the wiring is to replace it.

Most states have some kind of lemon law, not sure how this delicious fruit got stuck with automotive problems.
Our roads have steadily been on the decline; our local water and sewerage company has been on a water main replacement drive and as well, probably every other day a line bursts, which they then dig up the road and very rarely return the road to its former state (I'll post some pics). So the road that I have to take to get home is not in the best way, but the highways and other major roads are in good condition. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in peppa pig land and these guys are Mr. Bull. Always digging up the road.

I did do an alignment last thursday, but it seems like it wasn't done properly, as when I release the steering, the car pulls to the left, so I'm gonna go back to the shop and have them re-check it. I also checked my cold tyre pressure and found the left was lower than the right by about 5psi, so gotta top that up. I usually keep the pressure at about 34-35.

I sometimes feel like maybe it's just me, cause everyone else that drives the car says it's fine. Maybe the car isn't in love with me anymore... lol.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Finding an honest alignment shop is not easy, seem to find problems that are not there. Only thing they can adjust on this car is toe in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's true. It really is a pain to find a proper alignment shop where I live. And the one guy that was recommended, his alignment machine seems to always be on the fritz. It's going back into the mechanic today, so he'll take a further look and see if anything was missed. Thanks for the advice so far. I'll keep you posted on further developments.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra
316 Posts
Mines done this too. Feels more wobbly. And it's been doing this on the original wheels and tires I have locked up aswell. Really hoping an alignment is all I needm I'm not hearing anything from it tho. It's all quiet.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Wobbly sounds more like defective struts or shocks, another indication of bad struts is your vehicle will nose dive when hitting the brakes. Even worse with only one strut bad, besides nose diving, vehicle will jerk toward the direction of that defective strut.

Even rear shocks will cause front nose diving back end of the vehicle goes up with the brakes simulating the front going down.

First sign is a mild dip, but gets worse when more fluid is lost.

Defect struts or shocks place undue stress on the stabilizer links, just replacing the links without replacing the struts or shocks, the links will break again.

Loosening a ball joint lets you easily find or kinds of problems like loose control rod bushings, by taken off that powerful spring tension. Also excessive play in the steering. Been using an air hammer to knock a ball joint free with a taper bushing. If you use a wedge, wrecks your ball joint boot and have more problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm.. Thanks for the info Nick. I'll update when I have news from the mechanic.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I’m having some steering issues, as well. Mine is a little different in that it just doesn’t drive straight. When making corrective adjustments (steer to the left if the car starts drifting right), it seems to “float” back instead of the expected “jerk” motion. This is on tires and a fresh alignment. I’m going to have it looked at.

In terms of your steering locking, I believe there was a recall on this. Apologies if I missed it, but was this recall corrected on your vehicle?

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in peppa pig land and these guys are Mr. Bull. Always digging up the road.
lol, this cracked me up. My son loves Peppa Pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m having some steering issues, as well. Mine is a little different in that it just doesn’t drive straight. When making corrective adjustments (steer to the left if the car starts drifting right), it seems to “float” back instead of the expected “jerk” motion. This is on tires and a fresh alignment. I’m going to have it looked at.

In terms of your steering locking, I believe there was a recall on this. Apologies if I missed it, but was this recall corrected on your vehicle?

lol, this cracked me up. My son loves Peppa Pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lol.. Yh, peppa pig is something else.

As it relates to the steering recall, unfortunately no. The dealership we have here locally does their best to avoid responsibility. I haven't heard about a recall though. Do you have a link to any articles I can review. Maybe I may have a claim that I can force their hand on.
Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try talking directly to hyundai manufacturer
I did. But I never got a reply. Unless I never sent to the correct address. But I did shoot them an email sometime last year. Never got a response. 1 person probably is just a drop in their cup and not worth their time.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Lol.. Yh, peppa pig is something else.

As it relates to the steering recall, unfortunately no. The dealership we have here locally does their best to avoid responsibility. I haven't heard about a recall though. Do you have a link to any articles I can review. Maybe I may have a claim that I can force their hand on.
Thanks.

Even with a Chevy with electric power steering, GM replaced it instantly without question to avoid a huge accident claim. I had no reason to call Hyundai at least yet. A nobody answers the phone, doesn't know anything, have to ask to speak to his/her supervisor, and may have do ask this same question eight times until you actually talk to a person that knows something and can do something about it.

Talking about Ford, Chrysler, and GM, Toyota and Nissan were different, least back then when they were new here.

Did call Hyundai Finance, do you really want me to make monthly payments for the next four years, is interest free, but think about all the paper work we have to go through. They said yes, just send a check for the balance. Did receive my vehicle title in the mail with a lean on it, two weeks later, same title without a lean on it.

It also helps to know a little about cars, hate to say this but people in the USA are the most ignorant on this subject.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even with a Chevy with electric power steering, GM replaced it instantly without question to avoid a huge accident claim. I had no reason to call Hyundai at least yet. A nobody answers the phone, doesn't know anything, have to ask to speak to his/her supervisor, and may have do ask this same question eight times until you actually talk to a person that knows something and can do something about it.

Talking about Ford, Chrysler, and GM, Toyota and Nissan were different, least back then when they were new here.

Did call Hyundai Finance, do you really want me to make monthly payments for the next four years, is interest free, but think about all the paper work we have to go through. They said yes, just send a check for the balance. Did receive my vehicle title in the mail with a lean on it, two weeks later, same title without a lean on it.

It also helps to know a little about cars, hate to say this but people in the USA are the most ignorant on this subject.
Yh, thing is the service manager and techs at the dealership treat you as if you're dumb and know nothing about cars. I've even given them info from this forum and they've ignored it.
I got the car back today; the mechanic said he checked everything and found no problems apart from the alignment still being off on the left side, which he corrected. I drove it, it drove well for a while, then I started getting the same steering issue again. I'm very much inclined to think at this stage that the mdps is the problem, because sometimes I need to put more effort into controlling the car and other times, it becomes more rigid and feels like it's supposed to.
Tomorrow I'm going to do a comparison with another Co-worker's Elantra and then I'll know for sure. But given that the dealership here doesn't pay attention to anything, I'll have to replace it on my own. I've already found it on eBay, just need to confirm the part number is correct. So I'll call them tomorrow and get the part number to verify after I compare the feedback from the other car.

Thanks for all the advice you guys have given so far.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra
316 Posts
Man that sucks. I bet if an third party company made a steering kit.... Well something like that, I bet your issues would be resolved.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man that sucks. I bet if an third party company made a steering kit.... Well something like that, I bet your issues would be resolved.
Yup. But it is what it is. I'll still keep you guys updated as things progress.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Not one but four Chevy dealers did not know the the way you take up the play in your brakes with rear disk calipers is to work the parking brake. They even have to call a service center to get advice on why a brake pedal goes practically to the floor, some said it was the power brake booster.

So far the only discussion with Hyundai had been with this electrically heated thermostat. Only function of it is to expedite coolant insertion in the production line. Can't insert coolant with a closed thermostat so they switch this heater on.

Argument was is the thermostat prematurely opening because its defective with a weak spring, or is it an electric problem due to inadvertently firing up the heater.

Pulling the thermostat connector proved it was an electrical problem, ECU needed refreshed. But then later pulling the plug did not solve lack of engine heating, that spring holding the thermostat was broken causing wonder if that spring was made in China. Less than 1% if this car components came from China.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, It's been a while, but I just wanted to give a bit of an update as it relates to this issue. I chanced on an article in our local news that interviewed the chairman of our local dealership; so I got an idea that I would send him an email. Where I work, we deal with the imaging arm of the company (it's a pretty big conglomerate. They have a supermarket chain, motor vehicles, technology arm that deals with computers, copiers, etc.) so I know the format of their email addresses. After about 2 hours and a very detailed email that got further proof-read by my gf, I sent it off the Sunday night and prayed for the best.
On Monday Morning, I got a call from the guy directly under the chairman (sounded like a British guy based on his accent) and from then onward they began to work on a resolution toward the issue I outlined. Long story short, there's a new steering column & EPS unit assembly coming directly from Korea which will be replaced at no cost to me. It's been a long road for the past 2 years, but at the very least, there's now some light at the end of the tunnel. They had one of their mechanics check the vehicle as well as do a road test and came to the same conclusion as my mechanic, so there was no other option available but to replace the parts. I have to wait about 2 weeks on the replacement, so for now I try to limit my driving, but good news regardless.

I'll keep you guys updated as things progress.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts