Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In 2018 my wife purchased a brand new Sonata hybrid from our local dealer. All the maintenance was done on time at the original dealership. Two weeks ago (7/2022) the car gave an warning message on the board, we took the car to the dealer and we were informed that the car needs a new electronic water pump. The dealership explained to me that because the car has 93k miles the part is not covered by the warranty. According to the dealership the part is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 60K miles only. I immediately consulted the warranty manual and found out that the electronic water pump is covered under the Hybrid System Warranty for 100K, see photo
below.
Font Screenshot Parallel Document Number

When I confronted the management at the dealership they explained to me that they do not go by the manual and that I have to open a case with Hyundai USA. So I contacted Hyundai USA and gave them all the necessary information, they opened a case and told me that they are going to contact me in 3 to 5 business days. After 8 business days I call them back to check the status of the case. I was informed that my claimed was rejected, I did not understand the reason because of poor connection and some lack in communication skills, but after I asked the second time for an explanation, the case manager mumbled something like I am not the original owner. I explained to him that the original owner is my wife and that she has the same last name and that I'm calling on her behalf because she is at work. It did not make a difference he said that she would have to open a claim.
The dealership knows who the original owner is and knows that the original owner took the car in for repairs but because I opened the claim, the warranty was denied by Hyundai USA.

I will have my wife open a case, but that means that I have to wait another 1.5 weeks without a car and I am not convince that they will approve the claim. Can I please get some advise?

Update: We spoke face to face with the general manager at the dealership and they offered to pay 60% of the bill. I did take the offer but I was not pleased. I went on the internet and found the email addresses for CEO of Hyundai USA and the president and vice president of consumer affairs and wrote them an email asking them to honor the warranty or to give me a reasonable explanation for denying it. Few hours later I got a phone call to inform me that they are investigating. Couple of days after the dealership called me and informed me that the car is ready an at no cost to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sonata Hybrid Ltd Ultimate (43k mi) | 2013 Elantra GLS (76k mi) | 2012 Elantra Limited (75k mi)
358 Posts
There are 3 electronic water pumps on the vehicle. Two are associated with the hybrid portion directly and one is not. So it depends on which water pump has failed in your situation. The two hybrid associated water pumps are used for the HSG (hybrid starter / generator) and is black and about the size of a baseball sitting directly behind the passenger side headlight area. The other hybrid water pump is for the hybrid power control module / inverter and is contained within that unit and is behind the driver side headlight with a plastic coolant tank on top.

The third water pump is the ECWP (engine coolant water pump) / EEWC (engine electric water pump) and is silver and sits directly below the HSG. It is electrically operated and circulates engine coolant from the block to the radiator as needed to keep the engine temps within specs. This is the same pump I am having issues with right now. It should throw a DTC code of
P261F00 when it malfunctions.

The hybrid associated water pumps should be under warranty for the 10 / 100k but I doubt the ECWP would be since it just works with the gas engine and would be under the 5 / 60 warranty period.

My forum thread about this issue is here: DTC P261F00 - Coolant Pump 'A' Control Circuit Stuck On

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
In 2018 my wife purchased a brand new Sonata hybrid from our local dealer. All the maintenance was done on time at the original dealership. Two weeks ago (7/2022) the car gave an warning message on the board, we took the car to the dealer and we were informed that the car needs a new electronic water pump. The dealership explained to me that because the car has 93k miles the part is not covered by the warranty. According to the dealership the part is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 60K miles only. I immediately consulted the warranty manual and found out that the electronic water pump is covered under the Hybrid System Warranty for 100K, see photo
below.
View attachment 473788
When I confronted the management at the dealership they explained to me that they do not go by the manual and that I have to open a case with Hyundai USA. So I contacted Hyundai USA and gave them all the necessary information, they opened a case and told me that they are going to contact me in 3 to 5 business days. After 8 business days I call them back to check the status of the case. I was informed that my claimed was rejected, I did not understand the reason because of poor connection and some lack in communication skills, but after I asked the second time for an explanation, the case manager mumbled something like I am not the original owner. I explained to him that the original owner is my wife and that she has the same last name and that I'm calling on her behalf because she is at work. It did not make a difference he said that she would have to open a claim.
The dealership knows who the original owner is and knows that the original owner took the car in for repairs but because I opened the claim, the warranty was denied by Hyundai USA.

I will have my wife open a case, but that means that I have to wait another 1.5 weeks without a car and I am not convince that they will approve the claim. Can I please get some advise?
That's total nonsense, you have it in black and white right there and they are wrong. They covered the replacement of both of my electric water pumps, in full under the drivetrain warranty on my 2011, and I was literally within 300 miles of the warranty's expiration at the time. I was honestly surprised that it was covered under powertrain, but they said it was:
Heater Intermittently Blows Cold Air | Page 2 | Hyundai Forums (hyundai-forums.com)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The part number
below.
View attachment 473788

I will have my wife open a case, but that means that I have to wait another 1.5 weeks without a car and I am not convince that they will approve the claim. Can
There are 3 electronic water pumps on the vehicle. Two are associated with the hybrid portion directly and one is not. So it depends on which water pump has failed in your situation. The two hybrid associated water pumps are used for the HSG (hybrid starter / generator) and is black and about the size of a baseball sitting directly behind the passenger side headlight area. The other hybrid water pump is for the hybrid power control module / inverter and is contained within that unit and is behind the driver side headlight with a plastic coolant tank on top.

The third water pump is the ECWP (engine coolant water pump) / EEWC (engine electric water pump) and is silver and sits directly below the HSG. It is electrically operated and circulates engine coolant from the block to the radiator as needed to keep the engine temps within specs. This is the same pump I am having issues with right now. It should throw a DTC code of
P261F00 when it malfunctions.

The hybrid associated water pumps should be under warranty for the 10 / 100k but I doubt the ECWP would be since it just works with the gas engine and would be under the 5 / 60 warranty period.

My forum thread about this issue is here: DTC P261F00 - Coolant Pump 'A' Control Circuit Stuck On
Electronic water pump is covered by the hybrid system warranty 100K/10 years, the electric water pump is covered by the powertrain warranty 100k/10 years (page 22 in the warranty manual). I any case the 100k/10 years applies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
below.
View attachment 473788

Update: My wife could not open a new case because a case for that issue and vin# already existed and it was closed. She was told that the Hyundai denied the claim because the system showed 60k warranty and that cannot be changed regardless of what the warranty book says. The case manager even admitted that we were right but he could not do anything, and he advised me to contact Better Business Bureau.
Here is the photo of screen the dealership keeps showing me.
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

It is ridiculous to tell people that a database error cannot be fixed.

·
Registered
2016 Sonata Hybrid Ltd Ultimate (43k mi) | 2013 Elantra GLS (76k mi) | 2012 Elantra Limited (75k mi)
358 Posts
your PN shown 369103D600 is the coolant pump for the HSG and is part of the hybrid system for sure, that should be under the 10 / 100k warranty - no question.... Keep pushing the dealer and Hyundai corporate on this....

Reactions: RTICO

·
Registered
644 Posts
This all seems like a big load of crap from Hyundai. Their warranty says "electronic" water Pump = 10/100K. The EWP for this part is called "engine water pump" and this is how they are trying to get away with it 5/60k...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This all seems like a big load of crap from Hyundai. Their warranty says "electronic" water Pump = 10/100K. The EWP for this part is called "engine water pump" and this is how they are trying to get away with it 5/60k...
The engine water pump is covered under the powertrain warranty 100k, page 22 and 23 of the same manual, see attached. There is no excuse.
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Document

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you contacted your state's Attorney General, department of Consumer Affairs? They may be able to push Hyundai to get their records straight and honor the warranty. Contacting the local Better Business Bureau may work, or not, as they have no authority over Hyundai, but the state attorney general does.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts