Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4 cyl. at Carmax for $ 15,600 at 13,000 miles (fyi..nice car)
Carmax Max Care warranty for $ 1,300.00.
I think I can go to a Hyundai Dealer who will beat that purchase price by $ 1,000.00 to
$ 1,500.00 ... and...some dealers are competitive in price AND include the used care “Hyundai Certified” warranty.
I’m trying to get the most bang for my buck particularly if the Hyundai used car warranty is included in the price.

Can you try to give me your opinions to the following questions:

Can still take the car to a Hyundai Dealer if I have care problems and the Hyundai Dealer will use the Carmax Maxcare Warranty to work on the car?

Would a Carfax Maxcare Warranty will give me more coverage than a Hyundai used car “Hyundai Certified” warranty?

Why does a Hyundai dealer sell Sonatas as “Hyundai Certified” and the same dealer sells other Sonatas WITH NO Certification?

Why wouldn’t a Hyundai Dealer offer a “Hyundai Certified” to each Hyundai it sells?
If a Hyundai Dealer WILL NOT sell a used Hyundai as “Hyundai Certified”, what does that tell me?

Is there any reason why I couldn’t buy a Car Warranty from an insurance Company,
whether or not I buy the car from Carmax or a Hyundai Dealer?

If so, which is the best Used Car Warranty available for purchase?

Should I expect to be treated differently if I buy a car at Carmax but go to the Hyundai Dealer for repairs?

If I buy a Hyundai from someone OTHER THAN a Hyundai Dealer, how will I know if repairs were done .. Or not done ... that would effect the Hyundai Warranty?

A Hyundai Dealer can also sell me an optional “wrap service contract” and an optional “vehicle care service plan”.....any experiences with these “Plans” and their costs?

Thank you in advance.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
You are mistaken about many things, plus you ask too many questions. If you conduct a Search here on this subject, you will see hundreds

of Warranty & ESC Threads. Read, learn, love the Sonata. For the first Sixty Thousand Miles or 5 Years you would take your Hyundai to a

Hyundai Dealer. If the Extended Service Contract you want to buy is not the Hyundai HPP from (Fidelity/Jim Moran & Associates) I would go

with the Factory coverage only, and not opt for the Car Max Maxi Care? Not even sure Hyundai is backing the Certified plan anymore, although

Dealers are still hocking it? It was another marketing scheme. Like the Hyundai Advantage or the $1.99 gas Plan!

Hyundai Certified Pre-Owned Car Program Written by Autotropolis Contributors
Date : 03/25/2009 Certified pre-owned Hyundai vehicles offer a great deal of car for the money. These vehicles can also offer a great deal of peace of mind. Certified pre-owned Hyundai vehicles have undergone an extensive inspection process, regulated by the manufacturer to make sure the vehicle stands up the highest of Hyundai’s standards. Driving worry free is Hyundai’s goal with all of its certified pre-owned vehicles.

Once the vehicle has undergone the testing and necessary repairs, the manufacturer gives the new buyer a warranty and their stamp of approval that the car is excellent condition. After driving away, the consumer can rest assured that if anything should go wrong, Hyundai will honor their warranty.

Hyundai’s certification program has many different elements. It’s of the highest quality, in part because Hyundai doesn’t want to be hit with extensive costs later for a poorly reconditioned vehicle. That is one of the reasons why their eligibility requirements are so strict. Most of the used Hyundai vehicles that enter into the certification process are fresh out of a lease and usually are less than four model years old. The mileage on the vehicles must also be less than 60,000 miles.

150 Point Inspection
All of the prospective Certified Used Hyundai vehicles are carefully checked over by fully trained Hyundai technicians. Should anything no support the pre-set Hyundai standards, then the component is either replaced or repaired.

Vehicle History Report
To ensure that the history of the vehicle is sound and accident free, not had fire or flood damage, Hyundai runs a full vehicle history report. This report is provided by CARFAX, the biggest name in the business.

Limited Warranty
Working to appeal to a larger audience, Hyundai offers a Limited Warranty on all of the certified pre-owned Hyundai vehicles. The warranty goes back five model years with less than 60,000 miles. If the Certified Used Vehicles fits into this category, you receive a new powertrain warranty for 10 years/100,000 miles. This enhanced pre-owned program was launched in May 2007, with the warranty being effective from the date of the original sale. All warranty repairs have a $50 deductible payable each time the vehicle goes in for warranty work.

The warranty is fully transferable if you need to sell the vehicle in the future.

Roadside Assistance
There is a 24 hour, seven days a week, 365 days a year roadside assistance program that is available for the full 10 years/unlimited miles based on the original in-service date. This program is comprehensive and offers the new owner worry free driving for the duration of the warranty.

A few of the services covered with the Roadside Assistance program includes:

•Towing service if the vehicle is disabled and can’t be fixed on the spot
•Rental cost reimbursement in the event that mechanical problems can’t be fixed overnight
•Travel breakdown benefits to help cover any extra costs incurred in the event of out of town expenses
•Free service loan from the dealership if available
•Assistance in the event of a lockout to get your back into your vehicle
•If you run out of gas, a delivery will be made to help get you back on the road
With the steady increase in certified used vehicles recently, it’s easy to see how Certified Used Hyundai cars are good for the consumer and the manufacturer.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Some of your questions you should ask the Hyundai dealership.

But in general, Carmax are usually more expensive than others, 'cause they have a certain kind, though short-term, of warranty on the cars they sell, no matter how old. How good is their workmanship, that's a good question.... In your case I would not buy this car from Carmax without visiting the Hyundai dealership first (and take the opportunity to ask a few of your questions)... It's just natural that the dealer you bought the car from would serve you better when you have any warranty-covered issue, of course, as long as this is a good, compatible dealer with a competent service.....

Yes, as Miami mentioned, forget about any extended warranty, unless it's a Hyundai plan sold by the dealer. But these deals are expensive.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
mama I disagree with you here. An extended warranty doesn't have to be sold by a Hyundai dealer to be "good". There are many out there sold by reputable dealers that are great. I have one on my Hyundai by Zurich group 60 months from last month and 100,000 total miles on my rig. Didn't buy it from a Hyundai dealer either. Bought it from myself. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
We've been reading here on this forum about how careful one has to be purchasing extended warranties from some vendors whose reputation is questionable at best.... That's why I was recommending Hyundai's. Of course, there are a few other honest and dependable companies, but they are few.... It's sure worth to be cautious. Some of these, by the time one needs them, would be long gone, or their name changed....

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Apr 25 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316846
We've been reading here on this forum about how careful one has to be purchasing extended warranties from some vendors whose reputation is questionable at best.... That's why I was recommending Hyundai's. Of course, there are a few other honest and dependable companies, but they are few.... It's sure worth to be cautious. Some of these, by the time one needs them, would be long gone, or their name changed....
Oh come on, don't back down on this one. Craig makes a part of his income selling this product, and probably makes more on this GE :w00t:

Line than other contracts. While GE makes the finest Nuclear Bombs and Cat Scan Machines money can buy ($5000 for 10 Minutes :innocent: ),

I would not feel safe with a non Hyundai Insurance Policy. It seems that many complaints have been filed against Zurich. Also Craig was able to

buy it for himself at wholesale while we pay full Retail. I say HPP or no plan at all! :57:

·
Registered
29 Posts
See this thread for my experience with Carmax. I bought this car, not because it was sold by Carmax, but because it was the car I liked for the price. Now, I'm not saying all Carmax service departments are terrible, but mine certainly is. As for the Maxcare, the contract they tried to sell me stated that I could take it to the dealer for a copay (deductible) of $75.00 / visit, or Carmax for $50.00, but as I understand it, different carmax locations use different warranty companies to back their maxcare. You'll need to read the contract to find out for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My friend you have to read a little bit more before you go out to buy your car. In my particular case I bought my sonata LX 2006 with 1 year of use and just under 25K miles, I found the car on a Honda dealer lot and when I was signing all the paper work they push me to buy an extended warranty, which I did...$$2500.... How stupid I felt during my first oil change on an actual Hyundai dealer, they told me even though the car was used, it has 5 years or 60,000 miles factory warranty (yes even more than a new toyota or honda)...and pretty much all of the repairs provided by that extended warranty that I paid suppose to be free.
I called inmediately the Honda dealer and argue about that extended warranty contract and ask for my money back, the law is in your side with that and you can cancel, the problem is if that happens after 30 or 60 days is not the full amount...well I was able to recover at least 85%.

Now the actual warranty with Hyundai, I have to say I'm more than satisfied. My car actually have almost 56,000 miles and they just change the steering pump and some pulleys because I was complaning about some little noise on that side. There has been 2 recalls and they replaced the components without any charge and sent me the letters to inform about it.... My suggestions is to check the price of your used car you are looking for on www.nadaguides.com, find out if you can get something close to the retail price shown. Pick one Sonata with no more than a year no more than 20 or 25k miles and you will be surprise with the back up this brand provides.!!

If you want to buy something beyond the regular factory warranty, please contact your insurance and try to get a repair insurance through them!!!! I think Mercury offers this service.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Excellent Post. Aside from the fact you were reamed on the $2500 Extended Service contract and you got most your money back, Why in the WORLD would someone pay CarMax almost full retail with no rebates or incentives, and pay big money for a concurrent Warranty? :whistling:
on a Car that already comes with a full "Limited" Warranty if it is under 5 Years or 60K :trophy:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Why wouldn’t a Hyundai Dealer offer a “Hyundai Certified” to each Hyundai it sells?
If a Hyundai Dealer WILL NOT sell a used Hyundai as “Hyundai Certified”, what does that tell me?
"Certified" usually means there are service records documenting that the manufacturer's recommended
services were kept up. On a car with 13K miles, that's nothing more than oil changes and any TSB's.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Buying a used car is a gamble. Heck buying even new is a gamble but not as much as used. The only thing I could tell you is do a carfax and check out the report. Pay a reputable mechanic to come along with you to check to see if the car checks out and hasn't been in an accident. Take a long test drive and check and feel how the car drives. Problem is even if you don't detect any problem in the test drive it might come later when you purchased the vehicle. In my neighborhood there's some dealership that does a 5 day return on the car if anything is wrong. I think carmax is 5days also. Be sure to check the price on your surround dealer vs carmax, because sometimes carmax overcharges. I also don't think you'll need a extended warranty for a 09 low mile car. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts