Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I got a phone call yesterday from my local dealer. They tell me I'm due for the service #3 that include:

Service #1 plus items below
Inspect all drive belts
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect automatic transaxle fluid
Inspect brake hoses and lines
Inspect front brake pads, rotors
Inspect rear brake drums/linings,
parking brake (or rear discs/pads)
Inspect exhaust pipes and muffler (after manifold)
Inspect driveshafts and boots
Inspect vacuum, crankcase ventilation hoses
Inspect battery terminals
Rotate tires

I tell the person who call me if I really need to do that service. He said yes for the warranty. If you didn't do this service and for exemple the brake hoses and lines are due to be change in 5000-10000 KM, then the mechanic can said the warranty won't cover it because I did not do the service #3...

Is that true?

Because I know few people who didn't do the hyundai service (except oil change and not at the dealer) it and all part was covered by warranty...

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can't speak for your model or its required "service" items. All this is spelled out in your manual. Read your warranty and then get those items done as specified. If you either go to an independent garage or do it yourself, keep all receipts.
My personal experience with the dealers I went to has been disappointing. I discovered early that a required and paid for service was not performed with resulting failure of that item. Written complaints to the head office got me nowhere. I have been doing my own work ever since. For those items I cannot do I found myself a reliable and conscientious mechanic who values my continued satisfaction and return of business.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Dealer doesn't have to do it, but yes, it needs to be done and documented. I think the cabin air filter is also on that list.

Funny thing, I have my dealer rotate my tires every service and my dealer automatically does a multipoint check which just happens to include almost everything on that list plus a battery stress test. The cabin filter is cheap and you can replace it yourself in about 5 minutes.

Oil, filter, and tire rotation with included "multipoint check" is about $60 with a coupon. Service 3 or whatever they officially call it is well north of $200. Not worth it. If the dealer doesn't l routinely look at it, it's nothing for you to "inspect" it yourself.

·
Banned
998 Posts
let me put it this way.
They say so many things must be inspected - sure, let them inspect, but as a part of their 24 (27 or whatever)-point inspection that is done every time you come to change oil.

Cabin filter - DYI, jsut by the filter from them.
Oil change - let them do that. Bring your own oil from Walmart (if you go with synthetic) and total charge will be about $10...
Oh, tire rotation... well... one can do it, but you should have torque wrench.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My dealer offered a $5 discount if I bring in my own oil, here is the kicker, if I bring in synthetic oil I get $5 the synthetic oil change price, not the regular oil change price.

·
Banned
998 Posts
what is $5 synthetic change?? I am not sure I get it right - is it a surcharge??
tell him it is regular, not synthetic... :D

·
Registered
790 Posts
The dealer told me they would give me $5 off if I bought in my own oil. I had a gallon of Mobile1 synthetic I wanted to use up so the wife took it in.

A regular oil change at the dealer is say $30 and a synthetic is say $60 (just guessing)

When my wife went in she gave them the oil and said you said a $5 credit and they agreed, and we ended with a bill for $55 (again guessing) and my wife gave them a WTF, and they said a synthetic oil change is $60 minus your credit is $55.

My wife being the smart gal she is knew this was BS and asked for the manager, and she actually had to fight with him about it, they really were trying to say because they used OUR synthetic oil they needed to charge the premium oil change price. Eventually they agreed to lower the price to the regular oil change price.

Never going back there..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts