Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Hyundai in July 2013 which came with an (unwanted) 3-month trial subscription to Siruis XM radio. After that trail ended, I got aggressively and repeatedly telemarketed to my personal cell phone by Sirius XM despite being on national 'do not call' lists and despite repeatedly asking to be put on Sirius's 'do not call' list.

I am very upset that Hyundai saw fit to share my personal data with Sirius XM. I have brought this up with the Hyundai Consumer Affairs department and have been told it is not a corporate level mandate that Sirius is forced on customers, but rather a dealership decision. Returning to my dealer, I've been told that they could not have taken the Sirius out of the car even if I had asked!

I find it shocking that Hyundai has forced Sirius upon me, then saw fit to share all my personal data with them including my private cell phone number which I entrusted Hyundai with. Furthermore, if you research Sirius XM, you will see thousands of complaints against them reqarding questionable billing and consumer practices (including solicitation), and that the Attoney General offices of six different states are investigating them. This is the kind of company that Hyundai has forced upon me.

Am I alone in being disgusted that Hyundai forced me into a 'relationship' with Sirius XM? Shouldn't I have the choice of whether or not I want the 'free' Sirius XM trial, and shouldn't I have the right to demand Hyundai not share my personal data?

Is anyone else out there experiencing any such problems or upset about their loss of privacy?

·
Banned
532 Posts
You could have asked for the trial period not be activated along with the BlueLink. Your options require the forethought on the cost of anything free. In todays consumer driven world a polite call to Sirius asking removal from their direct marketing list and call center would be welcomed by them, they certainly don't want to waste money on someone. As for taking it out of your car, that's like removing Dolby 7.1 from your receiver, so I don't think I need to comment on that aspect.

10 to 1 you enjoyed Sirius though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Hindsight is 20-20. I certainly would have asked for the deactivation if I knew the problems which awaited me. I certainly expected more of the Hyundai dealership though. THEY could have told me what you just did (they did not). And they could have told me accepting the free trail would allow them to data share personal data. Or, they could have asked if I did not want personal data shared. I mean, this is 2013, data privacy is a huge concern, lawsuits happen over it. I am shocked Hyundai allows this to happen. I feel what Hyundai offered me was like an apple with a razor blade in it. Maybe it's just me, but I'm really disappointed in them.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Unfortunately, I think that it's almost up to the consumer to be the steward of their own data...and worse, you've got to be the one who understands how different options might impact you. I've been known to give old phone numbers for purchases where solicitation/selling my data might be a possibility. The 'Do Not Call" list is only partially effective and hasn't proved to limit a lot of the abuse. That being said, I've had an XM subscription since 2005 and they've always done everything I've asked with no problems. I've never had any billing issues either. I find with most firms that telemarket potential sales, you have to place an in-bound call to a CSR to cancel ( in this case the 90 day trial ) rather than tell their telemarketer to take you off the list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got some follow up information in case anyone is interested. . . Upon buying/leasing a new car, the Hyundai dealership gives your data to Hyundai Motor America, who then passes your personal data over to Sirius XM. There is NOTHING you can do to stop this. I then asked the dealer if I could have said 'no' to the Sirius XM free trial, and the answer was 'NO'.

So to summarize, you cannot avoid Hyundai (or most probably any other dealer practically speaking) forcing you into a relationship with Sirius XM, and you cannot stop them from giving away your personal data. So the customer is left doing damage control (i.e., trying to get Sirius to honor 'Do Not Call' laws) rather than avoiding a problem altogether. Not very impressive.

Frankly I am surprised there is such complacency surrounding this issue. I guess the only thing one can do is give out fake phone numbers as suggested by 'doughlomyte', but I find that a very unsatifactory solution - and certainly not one I could have foreseen going into this.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Personally, I don't expect laws to protect me where my personal data is concerned. Banks of lawyers and lobbyists will modify, stall, or effectively eliminate personal privacy laws if they're offering money or an influence cache to elected officials aka 'politichimps'. As I mentioned above, I've found that a proactive call to a CSR or manager generally eliminates most unwanted calls...obviously, that's not always the case. I wouldn't expect an outbound telemarketer to generate something to stop the calls simply by telling them not to call anymore. Many, if not most, of these types of businesses don't function that way independent of a 'Do Not Call" list.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
That 'do not call' lists is a joke, I subscribed to it and I still get tons of telemarketers call. I found a trick, since telemarketers use robots to dial phone numbers, there's always a delay before they speak when you answer the phone so now when the phone rings, if I say ''hello'' and there's no immediate response I just hang up the phone, I did it yesterday and just while I hung up I heard a lady with a big accent say ''hello my name is bla bla bla but it was too late for her. It's the best way to get rid of them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I bought a new 2012 VC last year, and due to a total loss, a used 2010 VC a month ago. First time Sirius harassed us for probably 6 months. This time the calls started a week ago (three weeks after the purchase). Sometimes two times a day. We have caller ID, so we just mute the ringer when they call (I have not answered once).

The irony is that we might be interested in subscribing (if the price were right, say less than $10 per month), but the constant harassment is so irritating that we are very likely not wanting to have anything to do with them...

·
Registered
305 Posts
That's too bad...It sucks if they're getting overly aggressive due to XM thinking the auto accounts are a "captive audience" and they've just gotta close the deal. As mentioned in an earlier post, I've had an XM account since 2005 and I've been very happy with it. I pay for a home unit that my mom has and my car account. Having two accounts gets me a discount where I'm paying under $10 each a month. I received a letter advising me that the 3 month trial period was ending but I never received a call. Can't remember if I gave Hyundai my current phone number or not though....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts