1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i leave for work at 6:30am and once im driving over
bumpy roads the speedometer starts to flicker up and down causing the car
to jolt. while doing this the check engine light and seat belt light illuminate
just as though starting the car. Sometimes the car will be ok and it'll stop but
other times the car completely dies. Upon trying to restart the car i get no
lights on the dash at all and the car wont restart. After waiting a while the car
will restart again. I took a video of the car acting up (On a private road near
work) and showed it to an auto electrician. The auto electrician couldn't get
the car to act up as they didn't open until later and it seems to never happen
when its warm. They had it plugged in to 2 diagnostic machines with no error
codes displaying. Could the car be getting moisture to some electrics
somewhere or could this be something else? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
So i leave for work at 6:30am and once im driving over
bumpy roads the speedometer starts to flicker up and down causing the car
to jolt. while doing this the check engine light and seat belt light illuminate
just as though starting the car. Sometimes the car will be ok and it'll stop but
other times the car completely dies. Upon trying to restart the car i get no
lights on the dash at all and the car wont restart. After waiting a while the car
will restart again. I took a video of the car acting up (On a private road near
work) and showed it to an auto electrician. The auto electrician couldn't get
the car to act up as they didn't open until later and it seems to never happen
when its warm. They had it plugged in to 2 diagnostic machines with no error
codes displaying. Could the car be getting moisture to some electrics
somewhere or could this be something else? Thanks in advance.
Hitting bumps causes problems.....did the mechanic check ground wires or other wiring? Did he take your money?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,294 Posts
Could the car be getting moisture to some electrics
somewhere or could this be something else?
Something else.

You say the CEL & seatbelt warning lights come on as if you've just switched the ignition on, so maybe you have a problem with the ignition switch or a poor connection somewhere in the switch circuit.

Are any of the non ignition powered circuits effected? For example....Tail lights/dash illumination, interior/dome light (switch it on when the problem appears and see if it blinks on & off), does the clock & radio loose their memory which are supplied directly from the battery? If there are no issues with any of the circuits that are supplied directly from the battery that would seem to confirm it's an ignition switch problem, and would also seem to rule out the possibility of a bad ground connection too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes charged me $150 for hooking it up to the diagnostic machines and taking it on test drives. However they couldn't replicate the problem and said the car was running fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something else.

You say the CEL & seatbelt warning lights come on as if you've just switched the ignition on, so maybe you have a problem with the ignition switch or a poor connection somewhere in the switch circuit.

Are any of the non ignition powered circuits effected? For example....Tail lights/dash illumination, interior/dome light (switch it on when the problem appears and see if it blinks on & off), does the clock & radio loose their memory which are supplied directly from the battery? If there are no issues with any of the circuits that are supplied directly from the battery that would seem to confirm it's an ignition switch problem, and would also seem to rule out the possibility of a bad ground connection too.

Just the CEL and Seat belt light illuminate when the car cuts out. I have just cleaned a connection that looked as though it had water on it (white sticky substance) and it seems to have made it worse. Just drove to the shop and it cut out and wouldn't start again. I'm unsure if its the ignition as the car doesn't stop when i wiggle and move the key whilst the car is idling. When the car cuts out all lights, indicators, hazards and radio still work fine.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Sounds like a drive with the interior light on to help solve the problem. I had a customer with a car that would cut out randomly and it was only when I bumped the key when driving that I finally solved the problem.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,294 Posts
I have just cleaned a connection that looked as though it had water on it (white sticky substance)
That sounds more like grease that's there to prevent water ingress. When you get moisture in the connections it's more often a green crud you find on the connector terminals. Here's a pretty typical VW harness connector, complete with it's green crud....

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Yes charged me $150 for hooking it up to the diagnostic machines and taking it on test drives. However they couldn't replicate the problem and said the car was running fine.
If he didn't take it for a ride over bumps he failed you and you need to take it to someone else. He should have at least did wiggle tests of underhood wiring and maybe tapped around ignition and or fuse box. At least something. Doesn't take 10 minutes to do some simple wiggle and tap tests around common problem areas. Obvious problem with wiring and or connectors.Try this yourself....you may find a problem area and we can help you nail it down. Hate to see you spend good money for poor problem solving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts