Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai Built-In Sat Nav

I have been informed by Hyundai UK that the latest sat nav UK map update available from your UK agent, released in January 2018, is version EUR.10.41.46.701.002.2(D.D2)

This information was provided to me for our Hyundai i10 Premium SE 1.2 , and it is not known if this also applies to other Hyundai models .

We have had this new update installed, and there is definitely an improvement in find destinations using post codes or entering full address and house numbers but it is still not 100%. Locally we have also found that the speed limits displayed on the sat nav have been corrected.

POI (Places of Interest) still can be inaccurate i.e up to 1/2 mile out and was tested by trying to find our Local Hyundai agent in Portsmouth.

To the best of my knowledge Hyundai use Tom Tom for their maps software etc. If you look on TomTom forums they have been getting a lot of complaints over the last six months about accuracy of maps and post code searches etc , and to date they have been unable to resolve this.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Interesting I have asked the question before as to whether it is a TomTom or Garmin powered system. How much did the update cost?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Longshot,

Unfortunately I do not know what the cost is for a map update as our car is still under warranty.

I can only suggest you contact Hyundai UK tel No. 03705 329 980 or via their web site www.hyundai.co.uk
and ask if your model of Sat Nav can be updated and if so the cost.

I note that you are in Hampshire , we got the car and the map update from our local agent in Portsmouth – Richmond Motor Group PO6 1RU tel no. 02392 221 441.

Depending on the cost it may be worth looking at a new portable Sat Nav , we got a Garmin a year ago for a Ford Fiesta from Halfords, it cost £109 with lifetime map updates and has audible warning when the speed limit is exceeded (which can be disabled).

The audible warning facility, when the speed limit is exceeded, is not provided on Hyundai built in i10 sat nav, but is standard on most portable Sat Nav now days.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thanks UK-RedPhil.
Yes I have a Garmin with lifetime updates too.
My i10 hasn't got the built in satnav but I am sure the information you have posted will be of much interest to those who do and good to know the updates are free at least for the first 5 years.

Rgds. LS

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks UK-RedPhil.
Yes I have a Garmin with lifetime updates too.
My i10 hasn't got the built in satnav but I am sure the information you have posted will be of much interest to those who do and good to know the updates are free at least for the first 5 years.

Rgds. LS
Aren’t all Tom Tom updates free for life so to speak?
I would imagine after five years if you have your car serviced at a Hyundai dealer they will supply you with any updates.?
S.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hyundai Built-In Sat Nav UK Maps Updates

For your information, copy from Hyundai UK web site below :-

MapCare

Hyundai keeps you on track with the Hyundai MapCare programme, which provides free annual map updates for the lifetime of your Hyundai*.

You can update your Hyundai’s factory fitted navigation system and media unit with the latest map software, completely free of charge, by visiting your local dealer.

The Hyundai MapCare Programme ensures you are always up to date when it comes to navigation.

All new Hyundai models come with annual map updates for the lifetime of the vehicle*, including all the latest mapping and points of interest, plus constantly optimised route calculations, usability and visual appearance.

Simply visit your dealer for a free map update every year. It’s another hassle-free way to help you and your Hyundai.

*At least 10 years

·
Registered
413 Posts
and has audible warning when the speed limit is exceeded (which can be disabled).

The audible warning facility, when the speed limit is exceeded, is not provided on Hyundai built in i10 sat nav, but is standard on most portable Sat Nav now days.
Do you rely on this feature?

I am aware that more and more people are trusting their GPS's to alert them when they are exceeding the speed limit. This is not a good idea, for obvious reasons.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
655 Posts
I personally cant think of any "obvious reason" why it is "not" a good idea to be warned that you are entering a speed limited zone or are exceeding the limit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you rely on this feature?

I am aware that more and more people are trusting their GPS's to alert them when they are exceeding the speed limit. This is not a good idea, for obvious reasons.

Just my 2c
HI , Oscargamer

Ref your question regarding using Sat Nav s with audible warning facility eg when the speed limit is exceeded etc , Yes we do use it with the Garmin portable Sat Nav we have, the main advantages we have found are (1) You do not have to keep taking your eyes off the road whilst constantly checking your speed especially around town in 20 and 30 mph limits. (2) in areas / towns you are not familiar with (3) Roads where your are familiar for many years but the speed limits has been reduced eg 40 to 30 mph (ie helps to stops you going back into automatically driving at 40 mph and getting fine and points on your licence).

But I agree you can not take it for granted that all speed limits and warnings indicated on Sat Nav are correct , they are only as good as the maps / software and information that has been provided to produce the map software, and you have the current release installed on your Sat Nav.
Most companies produce updates at least 3 times a year.
Unfortunately Hyundai only release updates at the moment once year for the built in Sat Nav and they do not have audible warning facility eg when the speed limit is exceeded.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I personally cant think of any "obvious reason" why it is "not" a good idea to be warned that you are entering a speed limited zone or are exceeding the limit.
Really didn't think I'd need to explain this...... maps are only updated periodically. If the limit has been changed since the last update, your GPS will be wrong and the audible alert useless. Also road works with reduced limits will render you machinery useless. Road signs will always be exactly correct on the day you are driving on that road.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Really didn't think I'd need to explain this...... maps are only updated periodically. If the limit has been changed since the last update, your GPS will be wrong and the audible alert useless. Also road works with reduced limits will render you machinery useless. Road signs will always be exactly correct on the day you are driving on that road.
Oh I see, granted you should not totally rely on the SatNav. I agree, but I find it useful for the reasons UK-RedPhil has mentioned.

Rgds

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Autonomous (Driver-less vehicles ) - In the real world

Hi All see attached link for info , this was written before I managed to get info from Hyundai UK on their latest Sat Nav update and seems relevant in view of the recent accident in USA :frown:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/gener...ver-less-vehicles-real-world.html#post5582841

·
Registered
37 Posts
Picked up our brand new GO SE 1.0 yesterday and very pleased indeed with it. The cars factory production date is 16.2.2018 and it's a 2018 model year car. Despite labouring the point with Sales prior to pickup, about ensuring the sat nav was up to date on handover, I find the map version is:

EUR.09.47.50.582.002.2(D.C1)

I'm assuming I need to ask them to update it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sales chap is coming to collect our car later this week, to take it back and update the maps to the latest version. He said it doesn't take too long and the car will then be returned.

Very pleased with this outcome, ensuring we have the current latest maps to go with our new car!

I'll post back with the new version number once it's done.

Reactions: Longshot

·
Registered
37 Posts
Map update done today and as the first post confirms, this is indeed the 2018 map version update.

The map version in our i10 Go SE is now: EUR.10.41.46.701.002.2(D.D2)

Car was gone for an hour or so, so it doesn't take too long.

I still think that Hyundai only force you to do the map update via a dealer once a year, to get you to buy into their servicing. On my other car, a new Peugeot 3008, you get around 3 Tomtom map updates a year (free for life), and they are downloaded yourself, popped onto a USB stick and updated DIY style in the car. You also do firmware updates using the same method.

I did wonder if any Hyundai firmware updates would also be carried out whilst they had the car, but it appears not. The car remains on the same firmware version as before.

To help others, this is the summary of software, firmware and maps now showing:

Software IA.EUR.SOP.005.3.170927
Firmware IA.EUR.0.5.222.170920.MICOM
NAV APP STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.170927.a803344
Map EUR.10.41.46.701.002.2(D.D2)

Apparently the SD card packs are shipped to UK dealers in a bundle, for them to then put into cars that are equipped with sat nav. If no one bothers to check, then the map version you receive on the SD card, will depend on how long they've had them in a drawer for!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
I live in southampton and i have a i40 tourer , i went to richmond hyundai in here and they said it cost 50.00 GBP and i was shocked because you said is free of charge . Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only reason our i10 SD card based sat nav car map update was done free of charge, was because I'd insisted the brand new car should have the latest map update. It didn't, so went back for them to do.

As far as I know and I was led to believe, that when the car goes in for its official annual Hyundai service, the dealer will then carry out the map update free of charge (once per year), if requested.

The brochure for our car says it includes Hyundai's MapCare which includes a map update every year until your car's 10th anniversary. It doesn't say there is or isn't any charge though for carrying out the actual installation! Of course there isn't any way of the customer doing it themselves as the Hyundai uses an SD card, unlike my other car, a Peugeot, where you do map updates yourself from the Internet and use a USB stick to load it in the car.

Over on the Kia forums, and bear in mind Kia and Hyundai have the same SD card based navigation system, they allow their dealers to charge the customer a maximum of £25 to carry out a map update. They ask on the forum for people to let Customer Services know if their dealer attempts to charge more, so they can clarify the policy with them!

I'd try another dealer to see what they are charging.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2017 sat nav update cost. - Kia Owners Club Forums

Above is the link to the official Kia UK statement on dealers charging for carrying out map updates.

I would say, as the process is exactly the same for Hyundai, really Hyundai dealers shouldn't be charging any more than £25, but I can't say for definite.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From the Hyundai UK Website: https://www.hyundai.co.uk/owning

MapCare

Hyundai keeps you on track with the Hyundai MapCare programme, which provides free annual map updates for the lifetime of your Hyundai*.

You can update your Hyundai’s factory fitted navigation system and media unit with the latest map software, completely free of charge, by visiting your local dealer.

The Hyundai MapCare Programme ensures you are always up to date when it comes to navigation.

All new Hyundai models come with annual map updates for the lifetime of the vehicle*, including all the latest mapping and points of interest, plus constantly optimised route calculations, usability and visual appearance.

Simply visit your dealer for a free map update every year. It’s another hassle-free way to help you and your Hyundai.

*At least 10 years

1 - 20 of 41 Posts